I'm still baffled by the FB acquisition, specifically the price tag.

FB says they will leave WApp as it is today, status quo.

Isn't growth likely to stall as other messaging apps like BBM continue to bring improvements such as voice over wifi, video over wifi (soon), channels, dropbox integration, location sharing and more?

What am I missing here? Could this backfire on FB?
    02-19-14 08:54 PM
    Standard corporate reply following an acquisition.

Once the acquisition has been integrated in the structure of the acquirer, you will start to see changes e.g. Microsoft and Skype.
    Q10Bold likes this.
    02-19-14 09:14 PM
    If BBM wasn't as buggy as it is on on iOS and Android, it very likely would have had twice, maybe even thrice the user base that it has right now.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 09:17 PM
    If BBM wasn't as buggy as it is on on iOS and Android, it very likely would have had twice, maybe even thrice the user base that it has right now.

Posted via CB10
    Not as buggy and designed following iOS/Android design guidelines.

The BB10 look/feel doesn't make sense unless you're on a BB10 device.
    02-19-14 09:18 PM
    They probably won't mess with mobile Whatsapp that much, but they will most likely integrate Whatsapp into desktop Facebook... making Whatsapp an all mobile platform+desktop messaging client. However you will only be able to use Whatsapp on your desktop if you currently have or open a FB account.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 09:19 PM
    Bbm works great on android. Not as good on a BlackBerry but close

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-19-14 09:23 PM
    They probably won't mess with mobile Whatsapp that much, but they will most likely integrate Whatsapp into desktop Facebook... making Whatsapp an all mobile platform+desktop messaging client. However you will only be able to use Whatsapp on your desktop if you currently have or open a FB account.

Posted via CB10
    You're right, hopefully BlackBerry Blend comes soon.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-14 09:23 PM

Isn't growth likely to stall as other messaging apps like BBM continue to bring improvements such as voice over wifi, video over wifi (soon), channels, dropbox integration, location sharing and more?

I think what they mean by leaving it alone is that they'll continue to operate WhatsApp independently from Facebook, and not in the sense of stopping all development and leaving its features forever unchanged from the WhatsApp we know today.

When thinking of reasons why a company would acquire another, consider what the purchasing company's business model or business strategies/goals are. With BlackBerry or Apple, it's usually to improve their future products. With Google, it's to offer great services, but services that ultimately tie back to their core business of search and advertising. What would it be for Facebook? Do they want to want to dominate the messaging space? Or is it the users themselves that they're after?
    02-20-14 01:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    what types of bugs...i use BBM on GSIII and i haven't noticed any bugs
    02-20-14 01:31 AM

Location sharing, video, voice, etc. are already available on other solutions (Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, etc.) and have been for some time. BBM getting these features will likely make very insignificant impact.

I am afraid that BBM has most probably already flopped. It has failed to generate the momentum and to gain the necessary traction. Its user base is nowhere near the self-reinforcing critical mass and I can't see how that might change.
    02-20-14 01:59 AM
    Not as buggy and designed following iOS/Android design guidelines.

The BB10 look/feel doesn't make sense unless you're on a BB10 device.
    What?
    That has nothing to do with bbm just not sending messages randomly

02-20-14 02:05 AM
    Location sharing, video, voice, etc. are already available on other solutions (Facebook Messenger, Hangouts, etc.) and have been for some time. BBM getting these features will likely make very insignificant impact.

I am afraid that BBM has most probably already flopped. It has failed to generate the momentum and to gain the necessary traction. Its user base is nowhere near the self-reinforcing critical mass and I can't see how that might change.
    I think it can grow. Like bb10, with recent updates it just needs marketing

02-20-14 02:06 AM
    I love Whatsapp. It's extremely reliable. However, I loathe Facebook. As soon as I heard the news, I deleted my Whatsapp account.

So now going to rely fully on BBM. I think if they focus on the 'instant' part of their platform i.e. make message delivery consistent and fast they can come out on top.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 02:10 AM
    Bbm is tha best

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.2141
    02-20-14 02:13 AM
    Sky News in the UK in an article has just said that "Whatsapp has changed the way people message". There is a reply, re BBM, from me on Twitter to Sky News....
    02-20-14 02:26 AM
    Seriously I tried hard to like Whatsapp because a couple of my friends suggested it. I downloaded it and couldn't get myself to understand the app. The integration of my phone book made things super confusing. I wasn't sure if I was texting or messaging or calling through cellular or wifi? To make things worst I had to make an account and that account is my phone number which I thought was suppose to be my email or some username. How would it work if I change my number? Right off the bat I knew security was lacking because I had random people messaging me asking who I am. Messages were dropping all the times and pictures weren't sending. There's probably a thousand problem with this app I won't go further because I would rather let the users decide for themselves then believing me.

I've installed and deleted the app at least 3 times. My friends gave up on me. However, they wouldn't tell me why but most of them don't use the app anymore. It could have been a hype at the time then they realize the app is junk. Anyhow, I got most of them to try BBM instead and we're loving it more and more.

The thing I like about BBM over Whatsapp is the organization and lay out of the app. The interface looks clean and it separates the form of communications. I can add strangers on my BBM and when I dislike them I can delete them instead of changing my phone number.
    02-20-14 04:25 AM

02-20-14 04:32 AM
    Fb just wants access to those 450 million users.

Posted via CB10 running on Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    02-20-14 06:27 AM
    With all the security breaches of What's app and the way people are extolling it's "virtues" shows me that the world ain't s very bright place at all! FB acquiring WUPA
    .should be very worrisome for many. Now there is a photo to go with your text or phone number. Oh here comes the avalanche of "I have nothing to hide"diatribe.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-14 08:17 AM
    I think it can grow. Like bb10, with recent updates it just needs marketing
    Q: What kind of marketing got WhatsApp to 450M users?

A: None, or virtually none. The company is tiny, and had almost no marketing/advertising budget. It's success came from ease of use (ease of discovery especially) and word-of-mouth.
    bekkay likes this.
    02-20-14 12:31 PM
    BBM really need to have video chat in all platforms asap after this.

Posted from my new toy Z30.
    02-20-14 12:33 PM
    Q: What kind of marketing got WhatsApp to 450M users?

A: None, or virtually none. The company is tiny, and had almost no marketing/advertising budget. It's success came from ease of use (ease of discovery especially) and word-of-mouth.
    I think being the first in multiplatform messaging helped too

02-24-14 02:35 PM