Hi All,

At the weekend I managed to total my Nokia Lumia 720, and thought that whilst I wait for Nokia/Microsoft to bring out anything close to a desirable handset I would try my luck with the BB Z10. I was always a BB users before going to WP7 with the Lumia 800, and whilst I am a fan of what MS have done with their OS, I always retained a real soft spot for BB.

However, I have run into some difficulties that could make this conversion very short-lived, and I just hope that there is someone out there who could give me a few pointers to help:

ISSUE #1 (Deal-breaker)
    I have found that I am unable to file sent emails. I am a lawyer and it is absolutely imperative that I am able to file emails that I have sent to the correct folders, so that it syncs with Outlook and I keep a complete record of what has happened on a file. This is possible with WP7, WP8 and even BB6 and BB7, so I am quite astounded that it is not possible with BB10. Can someone please cast any light on what I can do to get this working, and ideally not with a crappy workaround like emailing a copy to myself or filing them in Outlook later - this is NOT what a high-end communications device is meant to be for!

ISSUE #2 (Very important)
    I am unable to access OneNote files in BB10. The only way that I have been able to get any success is viewing them via the Browser in the OneNote Web App. It is very fiddly and not easy to use, and demands a good internet connection. We use OneNote all the time in the office, and whilst I can manage the (bad) workaround, it is far from ideal, particularly since WP has complete OneNote integration. I have tried installing the MS OneNote app by sideloading through Snap, but it does not get past the loading screen (much like the Office365 App).

ISSUE #3 (Important, but not deal-breaker)
    Battery life - wow! Coming from a Lumia 720, which lasts for AT LEAST 3 days on good > heavy usage, it is something of a wake-up call to have to recharge my phone DURING the day. I appreciate that phones need a bit of time to 'bed in' and get used to the battery cycle, but the first day of usage was genuinely terrible. Just taking 5 mins worth of photos took up 10% of the phone's battery!

So, hopefully someone can help me with the first two problems - otherwise it will be a trip to the returns desk. For what it is worth, I really hope not, as the OS really does appear to have promise. However, after being a WP supporter for the last 2.5 years (with all that comes from supporting a 'minnow' OS) I can't see myself taking such a massive step backwards now.

Thanks in advance.
    Neil
    02-17-14 10:47 AM
    Number one can be done I think because I was able to enable the junk mail folder to be seen on my phone
    And I know I can show my sent emails, because it shows up in the inbox right after the email I was replying to, instead of an envelope symbol it shows a check mark

The one note honestly that probably won't come, I've tried installing the android version and it doesn't work. Only sky drive works

The battery well ya it kinda sucks, some people swear they get a lifetime on the Z10 but I call BS. But I think it also has to do with how you use it. I carry two batteries. I get decent time out of both hut nothing to phone home about
    The solution to than is your probably should have gone with the Z30 that battery is heavily as I hear

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 10:57 AM
    Well I think the first problem is you should have gotten a Z30. Haha. Okay, but anyway if you press and hold an email you get option pop up on the right. One looks like a folder and when held it is called "File". Use this option to file your email where you need to. I have heard of OneNote Android version working but I have no need to try it myself. I'm sure someone else here can help with that. As for battery life refer to my first suggestion. The Z10 has weak battery life but luckily it is the only BBB10 device thus far with such an issue as the Q10 and Z30 are both much, much better in this department. Good luck. I hope it grows on you once you get it all set up.

EDIT: For emails go to Settings>Accounts>(your email account) and scroll to the bottom of the options. Look for a button that says 'edit folder settings' and make sure your folders are visible so that you can file your emails appropriately.
    02-17-14 10:59 AM
    Issue #1
    You can file messages by first selecting it, then selecting the folder icon which then displays the folders in which you wish to file your message.

Issue #2
    Can't help you with one note as I don't use it.

Issue #3
    Unfortunately the battery doesn't last 3 days. I get in the habit of charging mine nightly. Additionally I carry a charger and spare battery with me to keep me going during the day. Or you might consider a Q10 instead. Besides longer battery life you would have that amazing keyboard.
    02-17-14 11:00 AM
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure the problem is quite fixed with issue #1 - it is not that I can't see it, it is just that I can't save the sent email to the correct email folder (i.e. Inbox sub-folder). All my matters must have their own dedicated email folder in Outlook, which of course are replicated in the BB Hub through ActiveSync, and whilst I can file any incoming emails (hold down and select 'FILE') you don't get this option with Sent emails. If it is not possible to work around this in a good way, it will sadly have to be curtains for the Z10 - shame too, because it is beautifully made, designed and conceived, just lacking in some core features!

Take your point with issue #2 - what have MS got to gain by letting BB have a good OneNote app!? Maybe a later release of BBOS will provide a more stable Android runtime or something. I did get Skydrive working too, but you can't open OneNote files - or has anyone else managed to get these to open somehow?

Think you are right about the battery life - my Nokia Lumia 800 wasn't exactly great (especially coming from the BB9700), but the Lumia 720 was just incredible - I event managed 5 days always on from it last week whilst on holiday, though not checking emails etc. helped! Did think about the Z30, but I am not a fan of big phones, and the Z10 is about as large as I will ever go with a handset in terms of dimensions.
    02-17-14 11:08 AM
    Issue #1
    You can file messages by first selecting it, then selecting the folder icon which then displays the folders in which you wish to file your message.

Issue #2
    Can't help you with one note as I don't use it.

Issue #3
    Unfortunately the battery doesn't last 3 days. I get in the habit of charging mine nightly. Additionally I carry a charger and spare battery with me to keep me going during the day. Or you might consider a Q10 instead. Besides longer battery life you would have that amazing keyboard.
    Hi,
    My last reply was for the previous poster, but thanks for yours too. Again I probably haven't been clear enough with the Sent items filing - when you select SENT messages you don't get the folder icon, and so don't seem to be able to file sent messages. Is there some setting that I need to change to be able to do this? I am able to file all incoming emails just fine.

Good tip with the battery - charger and spare ordered today. Did look at after-market extra-capacity ones, but suspect the advertised 2680mAh are not wholly accurate...
    02-17-14 11:11 AM
    Well I think the first problem is you should have gotten a Z30. Haha. Okay, but anyway if you press and hold an email you get option pop up on the right. One looks like a folder and when held it is called "File". Use this option to file your email where you need to. I have heard of OneNote Android version working but I have no need to try it myself. I'm sure someone else here can help with that. As for battery life refer to my first suggestion. The Z10 has weak battery life but luckily it is the only BBB10 device thus far with such an issue as the Q10 and Z30 are both much, much better in this department. Good luck. I hope it grows on you once you get it all set up.

EDIT: For emails go to Settings>Accounts>(your email account) and scroll to the bottom of the options. Look for a button that says 'edit folder settings' and make sure your folders are visible so that you can file your emails appropriately.
    I am able to view all folders when I go to save incoming emails, it is just the Sent ones that are a problem. I have tried your suggestion above and it doesn't appear to do anything to change this...
    02-17-14 11:23 AM
    Oh. Yes I see your issue now.
    02-17-14 11:23 AM
    I am able to view all folders when I go to save incoming emails, it is just the Sent ones that are a problem. I have tried your suggestion above and it doesn't appear to do anything to change this...
    You can file sent email by pressing the top arrow in the blue area in the hub. Choose the sent folder, hold the email you want to file, and choose the file menu on the right. I agree, it's not exactly "quick access"... it could be something they address in future updates.

Posted via CB10
    BallRockReaper likes this.
    02-17-14 11:26 AM
    You can file sent email by pressing the top arrow in the blue area in the hub. Choose the sent folder, hold the email you want to file, and choose the file menu on the right. I agree, it's not exactly "quick access"... it could be something they address in future updates.

Posted via CB10
    It seems this only works with emails that are in a 'conversation'. If I have sent an email to someone and it was not in a conversation I cannot file it.

OP I have my Hub settings set to show as conversations just so you know. It might help if most of your emails are in a conversation style. If it is a one off email to a contact I cannot find a way to file it.

I've posted this issue in the BlackBerry Beta Zone just for you.
    02-17-14 11:38 AM
    I don't know much about the first two problems as I don't need or use those features.
    About the battery, yea the Z10 battery leaves a lot to be desired. Having said that, it's still much better than my Lumia 900 which basically discharges just by looking at it. Maybe because your Lumia is the entry level one, it doesn't have the processing power or screen resolution nearing that if the Z10 hence the observed difference in battery life. That does not mean that the Z10 battery is satisfactory.
    I'm a heavy phone and data user and my Z10 needed a battery boost after 10 hours (3g data not 4g. ).
    I got the Z30 at launch day, and the battery life is simply awesome. Whatever I do, I'm not able to kill the battery in less than 16 hours. This is the first phone I have owned with which battery life has become a non issue. Heavy calling, heavy data and browsing, GPS. etc, just can't kill it.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 12:12 PM
    Hmmm yeah it only seems to work with "conversation style".

What about creating rules in outlook? Do it once and everything is filed automatically afterwards.

Ideally BlackBerry should implement full filling feature for sent emails

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-17-14 12:29 PM
    Reserved - Following thread
    02-17-14 12:46 PM
    I don't know why you can't install onenote, but I just tried it now and it got installed on my z10 using snap.
    02-17-14 01:15 PM
    Here's a photo.
    Moved from WP8 to Z10 - some big problems...-img_20140217_201247.png

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 01:16 PM
    Here's a photo.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20140217_201247.png 
Views:	1490 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	248777

Posted via CB10
    Yes but you can't login/use it... I've tried and tried using different versions and converting to .bar.
    Nothing works yet.
    02-17-14 01:42 PM
    Strange I am only finding the tutorial on snap.
    02-17-14 01:50 PM
    One way I have read that is done in order to file a sent email is to open the email, hold in the body momentarily and then highlight the entire email by pressing the second pop up option.
    At this point you can then choose the share pop up and file it in Remember or Evernote.
    I know that this sounds like a lot, but works very well.

Posted via My Quick as a Flick Z10
    02-17-14 02:07 PM
    Hmmm yeah it only seems to work with "conversation style".

What about creating rules in outlook? Do it once and everything is filed automatically afterwards.

Ideally BlackBerry should implement full filling feature for sent emails

Posted via CB10
    Even if they are in 'conversation', filing the conversation is only filing the recieved message ...not the "Sent" one.
    That's one grips I have since day one with my Z10, still dont understood why it has not been part of the OS updates we've got.
    The only way is to file my sent messages using my Outlook on my desktop (or thru Outlook web acces).
    Once done you could acces them in the appropriate folder from the top blue header.
    02-17-14 02:34 PM

Posted via CB10
    You can also BCC yourself and file that.

Posted via CB10
    extisis and masque2 like this.
    02-17-14 02:49 PM
    Thanks all for the replies. It is astounding that you can't file sent messages - particularly since BlackBerry pride themselves as a communications device. I know that general perception is that apps sell phones, but if they had made this device with full Outlook compatibility, a good battery life to be able to get through the day, and compatibility with MS productivity apps (Office) then enterprise would have jumped on board a lot more than they did. Other than that, it is a beautifully made phone, and the soft keyboard is excellent - by some way the nicest touchscreen experience I've ever had.

Posted via CB10
    eddy_berry and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    02-17-14 03:00 PM
    Thanks all for the replies. It is astounding that you can't file sent messages - particularly since BlackBerry pride themselves as a communications device. I know that general perception is that apps sell phones, but if they had made this device with full Outlook compatibility, a good battery life to be able to get through the day, and compatibility with MS productivity apps (Office) then enterprise would have jumped on board a lot more than they did. Other than that, it is a beautifully made phone, and the soft keyboard is excellent - by some way the nicest touchscreen experience I've ever had.

Posted via CB10
    Of you are up for a bit or adventure, you can use the Outlook app from Google Play and even make it work "headless" by following the instructions on this thread.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=893927

Every time you get an email, you should receive a push notification and you can use the app to file your sent email. I just tried it and it works buttery smooth... almost like native

Posted via CB10
    anand_ma and Grumblegrumble like this.
    02-17-14 03:27 PM
    Well it is compatible with Office through Docs to Go (ppt, word, and exl) and the Z30 has the far better battery and is the flagship touchscreen but it sounds like not being able to file sent messages is the deal breaker.
    02-17-14 03:45 PM
    Looks like filing Sent Items in ActiveSync accounts is a long running unimplemented function in BB10. Not quite sure why they would leave it out.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=841485

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=816192

10.2.1.1925 on O2 UK - Activated on BES10.2.1
    02-17-14 04:46 PM
    As a communications tool, the z10 has a lot of potential. As it is, It beats the big boys in a lot of ways (quick reply, hub, file manager.....) , but what good are these features when your battery is dead?. This is a huge problem that BlackBerry refuses to acknowledge. Anyway, the z10 was spawned by a severely divided and dysfunctional organization. The little monster still has a lot of growing up to do. It seems like every enhancement is negated by a bug or something. Spinning wheels.

Posted via CB10
    02-17-14 04:47 PM
84 123 ...