Hello,

I live in Romania and have the following problem:

I have a 9780 for 3 years now, and I want to change the device to a more powerfull device, that would allow me to browse decently. On most websites the 9780 would freeze, but it's understandble. The most frustrating thing is that it does mailling very very well, and for work it is very productive.

In november, had a talk with the vodafone rep. I have a business account with vodafone, for around 15 phones, therefore "i am entitled" to my personal vodafone support persons. ANyway, after a long talk, I told her that I had not logged on to a wi-fi for more than 3 years now, and I find it very stupid, that from now on I would have to do that with an Android or an IOS phone.

So, basically data plans for normal smartphones are crappy, and altought browsing would have been an improvement, less battery life and having to constantly log on to wi-fi feels like a way bigger downgrade.

So I told her to keep with the Blackberry theme, and got a Z10, which she said is the only one ( along with the other bbs) on an unlimited data plan. 2 days later had the phone in the office, and 5 days later it was returned. Apparently bb data plans don't work on .... hmm... blackberry's. They gave me the refund, but i still find it idiotic the rep didn't know it didn't work.

So, to understand better, does anyone have a BB10 on their old bb unlimited data plans ? Vodafone is telling me the os10 phones won't work with old data plans. Blackberry support is telling me it's the operator choice. Vodafone is not legally obliged to make them run on the bb data plans, but then I think it should specify this from start.

Do you know situations in other parts of the world ? I mean the only reason we buy BB is for the BIS data plans and data compression ( combined with faster transfer speeds equaling a very good loading time ) .
    02-16-14 02:00 AM
    You cant use BIS with new BlackBerry 10

Must have normal data and if you want to keep using BIS then you must stick to old BlackBerry phones
    Simple

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 02:12 AM
    You cant use BIS with new BlackBerry 10

Must have normal data and if you want to keep using BIS then you must stick to old BlackBerry phones
    Simple

Posted via CB10
    I've been on my bis plan since April 2013. had a couple of problems with carrier. called them up and told them I've been good for months, that there is no real reason for me to change to a data plan.

i pay $25 for my BlackBerry BIS "full" plan.

Posted via CB10

edit: i have a Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1925 on tigo honduras.

i honestly think it's just a a way for a carrier to screwed their subscribers.

bis works on BlackBerry 10.
    02-16-14 02:18 AM
    Same here. Im still with my BIS plan n not having any issues with it.

Via my Z30&Q10
    02-16-14 02:21 AM
    Thats not BIS
    Bis data plan is where BlackBerry compresses the data to you can go on wih 500mb a month
    Even if u use BIS wit BlackBerry 10 it will not compresse the data hence your using normal data in the name of BIS

In short BlackBerry 10 doesnt support legacy style BIS

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-16-14 02:42 AM
    I'm also on my Bis plan still. Been on bb10 since Launch.

I found lots of carriers try to make you switch your plan but it's not required. In the ops case it sounds like they are blocking it.

Rogers Deals and Discounts C0022C8F2
    02-16-14 02:45 AM
    Via my Z30&Q10
    02-16-14 02:57 AM
    Data compression is not really important these days considering that mobile data speed has gone up considerably.

On legacy models mobile data speeds where lower, so data compression was critical in getting good loading times.

With the new models, data compression combined with higher mobile data speeds, would get us crazy fast loading times.

For example my carrier told me that they gave up BB data plans because "customers" were asking for normal data plans for BB devices.

First of all, I think that actual customers, with BB plans, were very happy with their data plans. I can understand people on Android or IOS saying one of the probles that BB devices have is the need for a special data plan. But even without the need of a special data plan, I don't think they would suddenly say I give up my Iphone and buy a Blackberry. So, in pratice, what really happend, is that old BB customers that can't use their BB plan anymore are not very happy, and new customers... well there are no new customers, they still buy Iphones or Android.

On the other side, for me as a BB customer, I would buy a BB10 imediatelly if I would be able to run it on a BB data plan. But, for what I use my smartphone, buying a BB10 with normal data plan, makes the same kind of sense as buying a Samsung Galaxy or an Iphone. Same features, different device. And honestly, for me my BB is a tool, I'm not a die hard fan.
    02-16-14 03:11 AM
    And BlackBerry data plan was 1gb or 2gb and max 3gb with label Unlimited BIS plan

Reason is that you couldnt finish 2gb in a month with browsing bbm email

But now BlackBerry 10 you can video chat hd video streaming etc those BlackBerry data plan or BIS is no more

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 03:29 AM
    And BlackBerry data plan was 1gb or 2gb and max 3gb with label Unlimited BIS plan

Reason is that you couldnt finish 2gb in a month with browsing bbm email

But now BlackBerry 10 you can video chat hd video streaming etc those BlackBerry data plan or BIS is no more

Posted via CB10
    Not all true. My plan is a 6GB BIS plan. I will never give it up.

Rogers Deals and Discounts C0022C8F2
    02-16-14 03:55 AM
    The tool you ask for its BB 10 device not bis data plan. BlackBerry 10 its very powerful and productivity business tool and I use it from almost a year now. First z10 and now z30.
    I'm also on vodafone here in Romania

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 04:02 AM
    I am on an unlimited download/browsing plan, and 1gb streaming ( which I never get to use ).

I easiliy run through 2gb a month, just because I have to open pdf brochures around 40 times a day.

@hakkimmmm

I use my phone for work. I don't use skype, video chat etc, I don;t watch movies on my phone. I spend 8 hours a day on it, so I got to the point where I search for entertainment in other places, not on my phone

So from my point of view, I am losing my tools.
    02-16-14 04:08 AM
    The tool you ask for its BB 10 device not bis data plan. BlackBerry 10 its very powerful and productivity business tool and I use it from almost a year now. First z10 and now z30.
    I'm also on vodafone here in Romania

Posted via CB10
    So pratically I should end up paying 3 times more for doing the same things and running the same traffic ?
    02-16-14 04:10 AM
    True
    But keep it in mind that when carriers say its unlimited its not actually unlimited but there is something called fare usage

That means even if you run out of your 2gb or 3gb data plan you wont pay extra BUT only your data speed will be slower

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 04:13 AM
    I have unlimited data plan which is actually 6gb and once I run out of 6gb my connection gets slow till the 1 month cycle ends

My 3g plan is 8mb but when I run out of 6gb my speed is around 500kb or 256kb depending on usage but never paying a penny to carrier

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 04:16 AM
    True
    But keep it in mind that when carriers say its unlimited its not actually unlimited but there is something called fare usage

That means even if you run out of your 2gb or 3gb data plan you wont pay extra BUT only your data speed will be slower

Posted via CB10
    It depends on carrier. I asked for such an option, they wouldn't even think of that.

Over here we've gone through a rise in prices for data plans in the last year or so. The average revenue per user has nearly doubled, by introducing combo voice and data plans. This is good for Vodafone of course, but I care for them as much as they care for me, so I try to follow my own interests.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-16-14 04:18 AM
    Okay for all please if you are being charged for bis then shut tht down. Normal grps edge 3g data plan works. Package dependency is on you. Also tell @MichaelClewley if yiur carrier is charging yoj for bis on bb10.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 04:19 AM
    Okay for all please if you are being charged for bis then shut tht down. Normal grps edge 3g data plan works. Package dependency is on you. Also tell @MichaelClewley if yiur carrier is charging yoj for bis on bb10.

Posted via CB10
    From my point of view I want the BIS plan. What can I do with a BB and no BIS plan ? Is it then any different from other phones ?
    02-16-14 04:22 AM
    From my point of view I want the BIS plan. What can I do with a BB and no BIS plan ? Is it then any different from other phones ?
    Of course keep whatever is good for you

But misleading people to believe that BIS actually working with BlackBerry 10 is not right thing

For example with legacy device bis bbm messages were going through BlackBerry NOC but now its plain same like in android or iphone and like whatsapp or any ordinary chat app

You may heard the news that many governments tried to block the BlackBerry cuz of BIS
    Now nonone cares why? Cuz BlackBerry started to get rid of bis
    And it will take time since 90%of BlackBerry users own legacy device and they cant disconnect immediately

So my friend your using normal data in your BlackBerry 10 under the illusion of BIS

Just google it you will know

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 04:40 AM
    http://support.vodafone.com.au/artic...ata-BIS-or-BES

Read it

Its Vodafone offical site and you will know

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 04:51 AM
    I am on a BIS plan. I just never 'switched' to a data plan when I bought my z10 outright last year. I still pay the same as before: 1.5gb data, call and texts to the value of $550 per month and Unlimited BBerry Email and Browsing. I occasionally swap my SIM out for my old Curve when I want some Qwerty and having BIS makes it all 'normal' usage for me. I guess for me, it works and is cheap.

On my Chosen One... ZedTen
    02-16-14 04:53 AM
    I am on a BIS plan. I just never 'switched' to a data plan when I bought my z10 outright last year. I still pay the same as before: 1.5gb data, call and texts to the value of $550 per month and Unlimited BBerry Email and Browsing. I occasionally swap my SIM out for my old Curve when I want some Qwerty and having BIS makes it all 'normal' usage for me. I guess for me, it works and is cheap.

On my Chosen One... ZedTen
    And so do I use BIS on both my z30 and q10 as does my son on his q5.. Some of the sheep on CrackBerry forums will keep drinking the Kool aid and have people believe that BIS won't work on bb10 devices no matter how many times we say it here. They will tell us our phones won't work to its full capacity, they will say we get charged extra for BIS but that is carrier dependent (EE UK bundles BIS into their data plans not charging extra), they will tell you there is no benefits of on BIS still but there is (cheaper data costs). Only downfall is that BIS doesn't work with 4G but I'm quite happy being on 3G as EE UK signal isn't great and there prices are too high.

So rather than be happy that we are able to use BIS on bb10 and Figure out a way that they could possibly do the same with there carrier if offered BIS... they would rather shoot down our comments.

The more of us that speak up that are actually using BIS on bb10 the more the sheep on here may wake up and ask the question why between BlackBerry and the carriers are they telling people that BIS doesn't work on bb10 devices? Maybe if people read between the lines they would get there answer ;-)

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 05:23 AM
    Thats not BIS
    Bis data plan is where BlackBerry compresses the data to you can go on wih 500mb a month
    Even if u use BIS wit BlackBerry 10 it will not compresse the data hence your using normal data in the name of BIS

In short BlackBerry 10 doesnt support legacy style BIS

Posted via CB10
    No that's not true it does compress the data on bb10 devices as many people like myself can testify.

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 05:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    Who says we are being charged for BIS on our bb10 devices? More misleading information, some carriers don't change for BIS They bundle into their data plans and cut BlackBerry a fee from that.

Again you speak from position of ignorance, people fear what they don't know! BIS works on bb10 :-)

Posted via CB10
    02-16-14 05:29 AM
    And so do I use BIS on both my z30 and q10 as does my son on his q5.. Some of the sheep on CrackBerry forums will keep drinking the Kool aid and have people believe that BIS won't work on bb10 devices no matter how many times we say it here. They will tell us our phones won't work to its full capacity, they will say we get charged extra for BIS but that is carrier dependent (EE UK bundles BIS into their data plans not charging extra), they will tell you there is no benefits of on BIS still but there is (cheaper data costs). Only downfall is that BIS doesn't work with 4G but I'm quite happy being on 3G as EE UK signal isn't great and there prices are too high.

So rather than be happy that we are able to use BIS on bb10 and Figure out a way that they could possibly do the same with there carrier if offered BIS... they would rather shoot down our comments.

The more of us that speak up that are actually using BIS on bb10 the more the sheep on here may wake up and ask the question why between BlackBerry and the carriers are they telling people that BIS doesn't work on bb10 devices? Maybe if people read between the lines they would get there answer ;-)

Posted via CB10
    Once a wise man told me not to argue with a stupid person as he will bring you down to his own level and beat you at it with experience
    So ok BIS works BlackBerry 10. Enjoy

Posted via CB10
    Omnitech likes this.
    02-16-14 05:56 AM
78 123 ...