Hello everyone! I'm new to using a Blackberry, and I'm having problems with the Blackberry Messenger App. I am on the VZW network, and my problem comes in receiving mesages BACK to my phone. I've added contacts, and been added as a contact. All of my contacts show as 'UNAVAILABLE' even when they are sitting right next to me and have checked to make sure that they are available. So at any rate, I send a message and it gets received. I can see that the person on the other end is typing me a message, but I never get that message. The strange thing is that on their phone, it shows that the message has been delivered, but I never get it. At first I thought it may be something going between Verizon and AT&T, but confirmed over the weekend that it's the same story with T-Mobile.

I've spent hours on the phone with VZW tech support, and was even excalated to RIM. The RIM rep was the only person who could get the app to work correctly, but as soon as I was off the phone - right back to the same thing. VZW has even changed out my handset....help....
    11-19-07 03:24 PM
    Similar issue on the Pearl...

What name did you choose for BlackBerry Pin Messenger? I hope it had no spaces, or funny characters. Try testing it with something simple, like damjr, and see what gives...
    11-19-07 06:31 PM
    Thanks for the info. Will I need to delete and re-add my contact list?
    11-19-07 07:06 PM
    Probably not, test it...
    11-19-07 07:20 PM
    Also, are you adding contacts using PIN or email? I've had trouble when adding using email. I always add via PIN. First, make sure you have the contact's pin in your address book. Then in BBM select "add contact." Then highlight the contact to add (don't click on it) and hit menu. Then select PIN. See if that helps.
    11-19-07 07:46 PM
    I've always added by PIN, and followed the protocol that you outlined. I'm going to give this a shot - and I'll get back to you all. Thanks everyone!
    11-19-07 07:49 PM
    I've had similar problems.
    One person on Verizon, and the other on another network.
    I call them, ask them if they have their phone off or something, they tell me no and send me a ping, and then they are available again.

It seems to randomly come and go.
    11-19-07 07:59 PM
    Well, folks - here's what I've found:

I was using a comma, period, and spaces in my name --> couldn't get msgs.
    Deleted the comma, period, and spaces in my name --> msgs WORKED!
    Added back in the spaces, as a test --> msgs STILL worked!

The lesson with the 8703e and Bb Messenger: STAY AWAY FROM SPECIAL CHARACTERS!!!

Thanks again everyone. Hopefully this will help someons else someday!!
    11-19-07 08:05 PM
    Navi strikes again! Yippee, glad it's working now...
    11-19-07 08:13 PM
    Navi wins this time!!

I've had a space in my BBMessenger name for quite some time...but didn't know that special characters messed it up!
    11-19-07 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD