Hi.
    I'm new to this forum but have been a BB user since 2009 with 4 variants altogether and 9320 and 9800 being the current devices.

Being still in the new year mood (hey February is still pretty new into the year), I decided I wanna let go of these old-timers and give the 9900 a go. But before doing so, I browsed at local and international user forums. The Results were pretty awful actually what with all the complaints of unstable OS, Battery Issues and what not.

I'm guessing between the release year of 2011 till 2014 there should be fixes and patches right? but how do i tell them apart? Is there a manufacturing date I should be looking for in particular? An OS release version of some sort?

The 9900 in my country of Indonesia is still pretty expensive with official warranty and I'm not that into buying 2nd hand (too much mysteries).

Can somebody help a fellow BB lover? Don't want the OS10 series so dont care for recommendations of other Handsets.

My usage is mostly for BBM, Whatsapp, 2 Emails, Map Navigation and Mild Browsing. Hardly any music listening or video viewing.

If You've been a 9900 user, what's your "worst nightmare" while using it
    Last edited by Mai Dvices; 02-15-14 at 04:43 AM.
    George_B likes this.
    02-15-14 04:16 AM
    Worst nightmare for me was my battery dying on me. Being a pretty heavy user, it lasted only around 10-12 hrs for me, which was not acceptable. But you can solve this by getting some extra batteries and swapping them out, or get a power battery.
    Other than that, the 9900 is a solid machine that gets things done. Be sure you're on the latest OS (to be found in a sticky post in this forum).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    02-15-14 04:32 AM
    only battery issues? No OS problems, 75% on Wipe, Loss of Wi-Fi....?

even the store that i went to last night, the sales person told me that majority of returned for services with their service partner was the 9900. Is this a bad manufacture Batch of some sorts? Am I to avoid a certain OS or device build? I'm not an avid tinker of the device so I kind of get lost in the forum where everyone recommends a different build of OS. Isn't the latest supposedly to be the best?
    02-15-14 04:47 AM
    When you look around on the internet about problems with phones, you'll find myriads of complaints about any phone. I never had any issues with mine except poor battery life.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    andy957 likes this.
    02-15-14 04:56 AM
    We still have a pair of 9900 phones after 2 years of service. Solid all the way. Great for the current price.

Via CB10. Bits, C000C6078 for links to science and technology posts and world news.
    Mai Dvices likes this.
    02-15-14 05:10 AM
    With the 9900 , update it to the latest OS .
    It is very stable and will give you years of service.

From the usage you have described , you can stretch battery use to 2 days.
    ( that 's what I get on moderate use )

Other problems , many users ( not me ) have had issues with wifi signals. This was caused by missaligned antenna. An easy fix ( again search CB or even Youtube )

Many believe this was the best BBOS device from BB.

Good luck with your decision !
    Mai Dvices likes this.
    02-15-14 06:38 AM
    I love the 9900, too. Gonna buy one as my 2nd device, if my Q10 go crazy I can switch to the king.
    JesseBabe23 and Mai Dvices like this.
    02-15-14 06:53 AM
    Don't buy any BB OS v7 devices, because BlackBerry is sure to phase them out soon with newer BB OS v10 phones. In short: no, it's not worth it to buy Bold 9900.

Besides, all of the cool new apps are now written in BB OS v10 only, in about more than 6 months from now there will be only a handful of app developers who are still going to make apps for BB OS v7 devices, and you can bet the popular apps (like Twitter, Facebook, Line, etc.) will no longer available.

My worst nightmare is already happening: the Bold 9900's camera is a nightmare, especially once you've tasted using the camera like the iPhone (4 and up) and Galaxy S (3 and up).
    Last edited by Joe Clean; 02-15-14 at 07:32 AM. Reason: grammar correction
    02-15-14 07:25 AM
    even the store that i went to last night, the sales person told me that majority of returned for services with their service partner was the 9900. Is this a bad manufacture Batch of some sorts? Am I to avoid a certain OS or device build? I'm not an avid tinker of the device so I kind of get lost in the forum where everyone recommends a different build of OS. Isn't the latest supposedly to be the best?
    Yup, I got a wonky one myself. I've posted the quirks of my Bold 9900 at another thread, see it here. And mine is a TAM-waranty BlackBerry, the TAM's official service centre can't fix those quirks, I got to swallowed the bitter pill and keep on using the Bold 9900 that drives me nuts these days.

My advice on which versions of the Bold 9900 OS to use: use only the official releases, it's been proven to be stable and long lasting.
    Mai Dvices likes this.
    02-15-14 07:40 AM
    BB10 is my worst nightmare !!!

My 9900 has been solid as a daily driver for over 2 years, if you want a workhorse business phone nothing better. If you want dozens of apps to amuse yourself go Android or I Phone.

Also don't use a stock OS, load up a BL Hybrid OS and bring any OS7 phone to life.
    xanadome and BlazorBoy like this.
    02-15-14 07:42 AM
    My 9930 was a machine that took tumbles and kept kicking button.

I have the Q10 but use the 9930 to link to my PlayBook. Very stable
    Mai Dvices likes this.
    02-15-14 08:27 AM
    BB10 is my worst nightmare !!!

My 9900 has been solid as a daily driver for over 2 years, if you want a workhorse business phone nothing better. If you want dozens of apps to amuse yourself go Android or I Phone.

Also don't use a stock OS, load up a BL Hybrid OS and bring any OS7 phone to life.
    Yap. Need a workhorse. Getting tired of sliding back n forth on the 9800. Its a solid piece of hardware but just cant get used to screen typing unless on the GN 10.1

For fun n experimenting got an Oppo 5.5", it's a beaut on fullhd playback

Sent from my SM-P601 using Tapatalk
    02-15-14 09:10 AM
    Hi.
    I'm new to this forum but have been a BB user since 2009 with 4 variants altogether and 9320 and 9800 being the current devices.

Being still in the new year mood (hey February is still pretty new into the year), I decided I wanna let go of these old-timers and give the 9900 a go. But before doing so, I browsed at local and international user forums. The Results were pretty awful actually what with all the complaints of unstable OS, Battery Issues and what not.

I'm guessing between the release year of 2011 till 2014 there should be fixes and patches right? but how do i tell them apart? Is there a manufacturing date I should be looking for in particular? An OS release version of some sort?

The 9900 in my country of Indonesia is still pretty expensive with official warranty and I'm not that into buying 2nd hand (too much mysteries).

Can somebody help a fellow BB lover? Don't want the OS10 series so dont care for recommendations of other Handsets.

My usage is mostly for BBM, Whatsapp, 2 Emails, Map Navigation and Mild Browsing. Hardly any music listening or video viewing.

If You've been a 9900 user, what's your "worst nightmare" while using it
    Hi OP,
    I use a 9900 as my daily driver, although I do use other platform too.
    You are very clear in defining your intended use of the 9900, not caring much about BB10.

1. For your concerns about "awful" issues of unstable OS and battery life etc, yes, there was a period right after the launch, when CB was filled with those uproars of complaints, but they have been pretty much fixed, particularly in the variant of 7.1. You no longer hear bricking issue etc, and issues are now narrowed down to things associated with the inherent limitations of the 9900 hardware, such as non-auto focus camera etc. For everyday usage, I have absolutely no problem.

2, Your usage appears to be mostly text based, for which the 9900 is totally fine, except Navigation and browsing. I do not use the BB for navigation but understand from other threads that the BB navigation is pretty good. I would think it may not be as good as the Google Map navigation or other dedicated nav apps (turn by turn voice navigation with 3D display etc). But sounds very usable.
    Re browsing, this is one of the weakest areas of the 9900, mainly due to lack of hardware acceleration etc, but it is relative. If you compare it with those of other modern platforms such as iPhone or Androids, you probably feel a fair amount of difference. But if it is for a "light" browsing as you say (Google search type?), it should be totally fine. It's just slow compared with others, IMO. And as Legal Eagle said, there is a way to bring the performance a few notches up by installing hybrid OS etc.
    Legal Eagle and Mai Dvices like this.
    02-15-14 09:13 AM
    Yap. Need a workhorse. Getting tired of sliding back n forth on the 9800. Its a solid piece of hardware but just cant get used to screen typing unless on the GN 10.1

For fun n experimenting got an Oppo 5.5", it's a beaut on fullhd playback
    Just noticed this post of yours. So, you want a workhorse, and have another device to supplement. Then, the 9900 is the absolute and definite choice for you :-). As I said, issues you saw in some forums were early ones and old.
    Legal Eagle and Mai Dvices like this.
    02-15-14 09:19 AM
    And here is a quote from pantslesspenguine, one of the prominent CB regulars in another thread of recent.

"BB7 was delayed and even then there were problems with 99xx devices self bricking, bad battery life, etc. Then the 7.1 update came out and cleared most of that up and THAT was the OS that people really liked"
    02-15-14 09:33 AM
    I'm almost sold here....just about to jump the fence and grab me a bold one...hahahha
    So does the black version has a finishing that may end up like the back cover of the 9800, getting all sticky n stuff. On the other hand i saw the white one but it looked cheap, lkke those cheap samsung phones....

So if os 7.1 solved almost all those problems, should i bee looking for a specific build version on the package. As the sales from official retailers said yesterday, they no longer renew stock for 9900, my choice was to find from local small shops.

Does this mean soon the 9900 will be discontinued?

02-15-14 09:50 AM

As the sales from official retailers said yesterday, they no longer renew stock for 9900, my choice was to find from local small shops.

Does this mean soon the 9900 will be discontinued?

No doubt they will stop making them. Many retailers have stopped selling them, so they likely have run out. They don't order them in, so no need to manufacture them. BB7 is at its end...time to move on. A serious waste of money buying a 9900 now if you ask me.

Posted via CB10 - Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    02-15-14 11:17 AM
    Is there a big difference in price between the 9900 and the BB10 devices in Indonesia ?

Would you consider going with the newer OS ?
    02-15-14 11:56 AM
    Its not a waste of money.
    I dont use apps like FB, Twitter etc. Only apps that comes right of the box. Sooooo, please let him choose and buy what he wants and needs. Not everybody is a child to play with their phones, some people need workhorses with keyboards and trackpads. So there is only one option- the 9900.

Posted via ? Q10
    02-15-14 11:57 AM
    Is there a big difference in price between the 9900 and the BB10 devices in Indonesia ?

Not really excited about bb10 or their current lineup. Nearly usd 200 difference between the Q10 and 9900.

For large screens i already have a 2 10", 8", 7" and a 5.5" which i used at different occassions and locations. I'm mobile as mobile can be.

Guess i cant let go of that trackpad just yet...considered the 9720 at some point too

02-15-14 12:19 PM
    Its not a waste of money.
    I dont use apps like FB, Twitter etc. Only apps that comes right of the box. Sooooo, please let him choose and buy what he wants and needs. Not everybody is a child to play with their phones, some people need workhorses with keyboards and trackpads. So there is only one option- the 9900.

Posted via ? Q10
    Thx. My ultimate concern was such a price hike for a 3 year old device that was riddled with problems from day one. I read the forums but can't go all the way because of the length of it all.

The service centres here suck big time. Even the appointed official retailers and their overblown 1 to 1 replacement scheme don't deliver on their word (as someone mentioned earlier) and they hike the price up an additional 30 bucks.

So i wanted to learn and hear from users experience before deciding. Battery issues can be dealt with but os problems and other h/w issues where personal tinkering is required or visits to service centres aren't reassuring to begin with.

02-15-14 12:30 PM
    With 7.1 you will be good to go. The only 'issue' that cant be fixed is the autofocus (camera). But hey, everything else work like a charm!
    I think BB will update BBOS another year or 2,3 because of the new BBOS device the pulled out last year. I use a Q10 as my private device and I am waiting for a new 9900, that will be my main workpowerhorse. Because of the BUTTONS to finish or answer a call. I just need them!!
    I dont have allways time to double check if I answer a phonecall right, or ended a phonecall- thats what you have to do with all touch phones ?? I just will press a button and thats it!
    O yeahh a brand new 9900 will arrive next week

Posted via ? Q10
    Mai Dvices likes this.
    02-15-14 12:59 PM
    Having recently upgraded to the Q10 from the 9900 I'd strongly advise the Q10.

Battery power difference is like chalk and cheese with 9900 touted as the "thinnest blackberry ever" which was at the expense of battery power for no good reason in my view.

I'm still getting to grips with the OS change, haven't fully got my head round everything but I use the Q10 for calls, email/text and don't really need the apps as I've another device for that, wouldn't consider a 9900 at this stage.

Q10 SQN100-3/10.2.1.1925
    02-15-14 01:10 PM
    Hi thanks for reaching out, I have a 9900 and still use it. I sold one to buy me a z10 but after a while went out hunting for a 2nd hand one. My team still build great hybrids for these BBOS devices, so don't hesitate to go down that sub forum and learn. I only use my 9900 for emails, BBM, voice and text, the 'multimedia' side I use my note 3 and recently gone back to the z10 to test the new OS which is great also.
    02-15-14 01:39 PM

This is not a place for displaying your salesmanship for the BB10 :-) <tongue-in-cheek>
    OP bothered to take time specifically to visit the 9900 forum and asked specific questions about the 9900.
    So, offer him your honest opinion of the good, the bad and the ugly of the 9900 :-). He was specific about his use pattern, and said he did not care about the BB10. BB10 is a capable device, but to each his own.
    He also said that he had another device (seems like a phablet :-). So, there....

9900 is a very popular model, which BBRY know, and plenty of parts are available too. New ones are still available from eBay and Amazon etc, if you want (rather high priced, IMO).

Re your question on the finish;

So does the black version has a finishing that may end up like the back cover of the 9800, getting all sticky n stuff. On the other hand i saw the white one but it looked cheap, lkke those cheap samsung phones....
    I have a black 9900 and its battery cover is not rubberized, but polished, hence slippery, which I did not like. I put a carbon fibre like sticky skin made for other models on the battery cover, which has rough surface. This stops the device sliding around on the desk etc. But some prefer a polished surface. It has a pair of charging points, and with a dedicated charge pod, it's easy to charge it. You do not seem to have handled it. It's wide and thin. Keypad is very easy to use because of the width of the device.
    Mai Dvices and andy957 like this.
    02-15-14 02:12 PM
176 123 ...