I know these have been discussed in a few places but I wanted to start a fresh thread to catalogue them now that most are getting their Bolds. This will hopefully be a good resource for those who need to decide if the issues they are experiencing are widespread or if they are grounds for an exchange or return.

Below are the ones I'm aware of. If you have any others, reply and I'll add them to the list. Please also weigh in on which of these issues, if any, you have with your own Bold.

1. LCD discoloration during button and/or trackball presses.

Mine does it only when pushing the volume up/down buttons on the right side. Of course, if I touch or tap the LCD or the side of the phone, it does it as well, but I consider that normal due to the design of the screen. I think it should only qualify as abnormal if it occurs due to normal use, ie, button presses.

I have heard some people experience it with other button presses and/or presses of the trackball. I've also heard of some with no issues at all.

2. Audible "click" and visible movement when the top left corner of the display area (to the left of the speaker opening) is pressed down.

This one seems to be fairly prevalent, at least for those with AT&T Bolds that I've spoken with. Most get an audible clicking noise with movement, but some seem to feel movement only.

This worrries me because of the dust issues I experienced with my Curve. Any time there's not a tight seal, the potential for dust contamination is there.

3. Trackball grittiness.

The jury is out on this issue. My trackball is much grittier than my Curve's was, but I think I had an extra-smooth one for the Curve. Other Curves I've used have felt the same as my Bold's.

4. Battery door creaking / clicking.

I don't have this issue so I can't comment on it, but it has been widely reported.

5. Frame creaking.

I don't have this issue either, but again, it has been widely reported.
    11-05-08 01:38 PM
    I had ALL those issues with my Rogers Bold-

My Battery Cover Door seems better on my AT&T Bold- But Now my Trackball seems extra "crunchy"

And the Volume Button seems to be "overly depressed" so its hard to raise/lower the volume.

This time around my screen gets discolored only when I click with my trackball.

I think my AT&T Bold is a bit better built than the Rogers Bold I had.
    11-05-08 01:43 PM
    I put a very light coat of oil around the rim of the battery door and it stopped the creak.
    11-05-08 04:15 PM
    i got my bold from the launch party in LA... i dont have any cosmetic issues with the phone... the phone actually just froze on me lol and i had to take the battery out to restart it
    11-05-08 04:30 PM
    I dont have any of those issues...
    11-05-08 04:33 PM
    Mine seems to have the screen ripples when I push the back or bb button and sometimes the trackball...the ripples happen in the lower left and right corners

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-08 04:51 PM
    Maybe #2 is all I'm experiencing... But not really.

Gritty trackball. I remember reading something about that way back when... this is intentional and helps spit dust from what I recall.
    11-05-08 05:03 PM
    No issues from the list, only one very minor cosmetic item. The silver 'paint' on the frame is rather thin/soft and marks easily to reveal the black plastic substrate.
    11-05-08 05:27 PM
    2. Audible "click" and visible movement when the top left corner of the display area (to the left of the speaker opening) is pressed down.

This one seems to be fairly prevalent, at least for those with AT&T Bolds that I've spoken with. Most get an audible clicking noise with movement, but some seem to feel movement only.

This worrries me because of the dust issues I experienced with my Curve. Any time there's not a tight seal, the potential for dust contamination is there.
    Should NOT be a dust problem for the screen because the LCD module is bonded to the cover (lens). There's no gap for dust to enter. Dust getting past the screen onto the circuit boards is a different issue, but there are many more points of entry than around the screen.

IOW I consider this to be a minor issue which would not usually justify rejecting the phone unless combined with other more serious problems.
    11-05-08 05:35 PM
    I don't seem to have any of those problems, maybe I got lucky!

11-05-08 05:56 PM
    I am not experiencing any of these issues either! I consider myself lucky.

11-05-08 06:03 PM
    I guess I'm really lucky as well as I don't have any of those problems thus far.

11-06-08 12:18 AM
    I just got my AT&T Bold today and have experienced none of those issues. O.o

Knock on wood, I guess!
    11-06-08 12:21 AM
    Mine is without any of those issues. If I really press on the volume down, I get some LCD ripple, but I have to press harder than I normally do.

Michael
    11-06-08 12:26 AM
    The only problem I have is an occasional squek from the trackball, none of the other issues.

11-06-08 06:50 AM
    I do experience #1.

Got my Bold on Nov. 4th from ATT Store.

But its really nothing noticeable, I just recognize it cause I am a BB freak.
    11-06-08 07:24 AM
    The only real issue I've noticed is that my Bold seems to get warm, which is something I never noticed with my Curve. Of course I hardly put it down yesterday and maybe it was just me holding it. But I do think the battery was heating up.
    11-06-08 07:33 AM
    I experience some screen ripples when I press down on the volume key, and my battery door creaks pretty badly

However I found a fix for it
    12-08-08 08:47 PM
    i dont have any of those issues but i can't stand how difficult it is to get the micro sd card out of its slot. I guess at least it's not under the battery!!!
    12-08-08 09:00 PM
    i have had my bold since sept and have no issues with any of the hardwear . so happy with it .
    12-08-08 09:04 PM
    My mute button feels like its "overly depressed," I have the LCD discoloration when i press anywhere around the screen no matter which button, trackball is a bit gritty but i kinda like it that way because it feels like there's grip to the ball, and the right side of my frame creaks. I've been wanting to get a new bold because of these issues but I don't know if they'll give me a new one or a refurb.
    12-08-08 09:05 PM
    The only real issue I've noticed is that my Bold seems to get warm, which is something I never noticed with my Curve. Of course I hardly put it down yesterday and maybe it was just me holding it. But I do think the battery was heating up.
    what OS are you on ? cuz i had happen a couple times with .165 but now that i am on .185 it hasn't happened once and i have been running .185 since nov 11
    12-08-08 09:06 PM
    I'm running 185 and it does get warm after some real heavy use, but only noticeable when in the OEM silicone case.

I also get the LCD discolaration in the bottom corners of the screen when I'm cleaning it.

One that I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the piece of plastice between the screen and send/menu/escape/end buttons is not tight, it moves up and down slightly and makes a creaking noise.
    12-08-08 10:42 PM
    Wow, I tried to make my phone do any of those things and -nada- Dunno if I'm just not paying attention or am lucky.

12-08-08 11:46 PM
    My blackberry key and sometimes track ball would creak from time to time when pushed during the first week of ownership. I was going to trade it in, but it seems to have gone away now.
    12-09-08 12:27 AM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD