The BlackDock�

So yeah. It's a Lapdock� idea for a z10/z30. Just a rough thought, I use my z10 a lot. Would be nice to have a useful dock.

Key principles.

Full size keyboard (possibly bluetooth connection though USB would be ideal)
    Full size screen 13-15", (maybe touch screen?)
    Backup storage for phone.
    Phone is the brain, no additional computing carried out by dock.
    The phone acts as the trackpad for dock.
    The dock supplies an extra battery to charge phone and drive peripherals.
    The dock contains USB host connections.
    The dock provides audio amplification and speakers. Using most of the internal free space of the dock's chassis for speaker cavities, this should be loud. Very loud. Like ghetto blaster loud. Perhaps 5watt L/R tops with a 50w subwoofer. High freq cabinets built into display. Subwoofer cabinet to run through remaining cavity in screen and connect down to chassis. I mean super rad loud.
    Should be able to accept all bb10 phones with the HDMI/USB connector and housing adapter for individual phones.
    Lightweight and robust. Would be nice if the plastic were the same as the z10's.
    Relatively inexpensive. $150 ish.

Obviously the software would need to be able to turn on it's side in home and hub views.
    BB would need to work on the way BB deals with keyboard shortcuts. No ctl+x for 'cut' ext? No deal. Needs to be sorted out. I'm not a legacy BB guy so I don't know BB keyboard shortcuts. IMO, a full sized keyboard should behave similarly to other platforms in terms of quintessential keyboard shortcuts. BB10 might, I just haven't found it yet. And obviously, keyboard shortcuts for q5/q10 should be what they always were as they are different keyboards.

I made the pics by editing some sketch up drawings I downloaded from the sketch up store. This was a quick sketch and nothing fits correctly so thats why I posted limited views. Maybe I'll fix em and update. Maybe not.

Either way, I want one of these. Maybe I should make it.
    Attached Thumbnails BB10 super dock-skew.jpg   BB10 super dock-screen-shot-2014-02-12-6.26.18-pm.png   BB10 super dock-screen-shot-2014-02-12-6.27.12-pm.png   BB10 super dock-blackdock10.jpg  
    Last edited by Afourtrackmind; 02-17-14 at 09:07 PM.
    02-12-14 09:11 PM
    So this is what they meant by mobile computing... I like it!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 09:13 PM
    I'd buy this in a heartbeat. I'd actually buy three. One for my home, one for my office, and one to use for travel.

Posted via AT&T BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone
    Supa_Fly1 and daithiD like this.
    02-12-14 09:21 PM
    Basically this concept was tried already on Android via Motorola for the DROID lineup in the first 2yrs.

Great concept even with their real desktop mode it just didn't sell well, probably because of heavy focus with Verizon selling the lap dock accessory and just poorly marketed. Motorola I think has the patent on this now owned by Google so I don't think BlackBerry can implement this.

Funny though because I think the BlackBerry user base would eat this up, especially students (think GIMP app support for graphic manipulation, and similar apps in a more desktop mode) would love this.

Several things would have to happen:
    BB10 having full HD support both in device and in HDMI output.
    BB10 Devkit supporting this and proper dull in depth support and engagement for developers to augment their existing apps to take advantage of this dock - without resubmitting fees!!

That's just to get started.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    02-12-14 09:22 PM
    Now you're talking mobile computing, life it!

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:16 PM
    Now you're talking mobile computing, life it!

Posted via CB10
    Currently the drawings suit only the Z10, what about the Z30, the Q10/Q5 models?

OP, could you modify or update your renderings for such models? You could be onto something here.
    02-13-14 12:46 AM
    I don't have a Q10 or a q30 to model, however I would assume it to be universal. Maybe with an iPod like adaptor?
    The q series may not be ideal for such a layout.

I might give her a go if I can get some hi res images next to a ruler. x, y, z and x/y tilt axis's?
    02-13-14 12:59 AM
    Ah I wish they'd make this!
    Casetop is kinda similar but this looks a lot lot nicer!

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 04:00 AM
    I don't have a Q10 or a q30 to model, however I would assume it to be universal. Maybe with an iPod like adaptor?
    The q series may not be ideal for such a layout.

I might give her a go if I can get some hi res images next to a ruler. x, y, z and x/y tilt axis's?
    By nature your third sentence contradicts your first. The layout of the ports and their respective locations per device makes this dock non-universal . Making an adapter or accessory the is device specific and leaving out the other 5 products you make looses it's sales potential.

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    02-13-14 05:31 AM
    You could make it adjustable

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 06:08 AM
    Reminds me of the ASUS Padfone concept, but with laptop instead of tablet!

ASUS unveils new Padfone Infinity with updated internals and design | Android Central
    02-13-14 02:02 PM
    Nice mockup, but I'd rather see something more along the lines of Ubuntu's mobile to desktop ui docking.
    02-13-14 04:46 PM
    Screw the others, the Z10ers deserve this.. first to the table and now just a second class phone within a year.

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    02-13-14 11:14 PM
    Very interesting concept!

Posted from my Z10 via CB10
    02-16-14 09:39 AM
    I'm not sure what ubuntu has done but my intention here is utilize the resources to provide a different input experience for a computer.

I was thinking the UI would adapt to being the trackpad for the dock. It would display relevant control information about the app being interfaced with so the two displays would compliment each other. An example would be, in a spreadsheet when a number input is detected, a number pad would display on the phone to input into a cell. Rather than having the two mirror or just flick off the LCD on the phone and using it as the trackpad. I don't know if the current graphics chips can handle this though.

Is this what ubuntu is doing?
    Last edited by Afourtrackmind; 02-17-14 at 10:19 PM.
    02-17-14 09:28 PM
    Sorry to just jump in.... But I love your concept, buddy. I could definitely see myself buying that. Especially if BB10 keeps progressing the way it has been.
    02-17-14 09:31 PM
    Thanks .
    02-17-14 09:41 PM
    It's an interesting concept. I don't like the idea of the phone sticking so far out in front. I'd prefer for it to slide into the base further.

Part of me wonders if the phone should dock completely off to the right - almost like an attached numeric keypad. I think that would also address the issue of allowing the various models to all connect with no change to the base. I think they all have the same spacing between the USB and HDMI ports. If not, then it couldn't be universal.
    02-18-14 02:26 PM
    Asus has tried it to great failure and so has Motorola with Atrix.

I myself want one too but as a tablet. So lose the keyboard. and or make it BT. Also the screen should not be facing up as you will likely touch screen while typing on big keyboard.
    02-18-14 02:34 PM
    It's an interesting concept. I don't like the idea of the phone sticking so far out in front. I'd prefer for it to slide into the base further.

Part of me wonders if the phone should dock completely off to the right - almost like an attached numeric keypad. I think that would also address the issue of allowing the various models to all connect with no change to the base. I think they all have the same spacing between the USB and HDMI ports. If not, then it couldn't be universal.
    The phone doesn't actually sit out front, it's just represented this way to show where they marry. If I put it into that slot, you'd realize this was a quick drawing not intended to be the final draft but more of an initial prototype/proof of concept.

Initially I considered moving the dock to the side for just that reason, but you would have to make a right and a left hand model. Also, I've never seen a laptop with a track pad off to the side. There may be a reason for this.

And yes, I believe the z10, the q10, z30 all have the same port spacings. Although this product would not fit the PlayBook and is sort of redundant for a q10, even though it would fit and operate. So when we boil it all down, this is really geared for a slab style smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 05:46 PM
    Asus has tried it to great failure and so has Motorola with Atrix.

I myself want one too but as a tablet. So lose the keyboard. and or make it BT. Also the screen should not be facing up as you will likely touch screen while typing on big keyboard.
    Yup, I have an atrix lapdock. Which is why the first line says it's a Lapdock. (ok, it doesn't display the character for the trademark symbol in the cb10 app)While there are striking similarities, it's main fault is the ridiculous docking and unusable keyboard and track pad. Effectively, the actual Lapdock is a steaming turd. A good idea poorly implemented still produces a poor result. This isn't to say the principles of the idea are flawed, just the execution.

The idea is a bit of how Steve Jobs approaches innovation. He collected a lot of good ideas that weren't executed well, then brings them together, works the ideas through rigorous r&d until it operates flawlessly and polishes this off by making it look good.

I can't imagine why you'd want this without a keyboard.
    I already can get an hdmi monitor.
    I can already get a bt kb.
    I can already get a battery charger and usb backup booster pack.
    What I can't get, is all those things in one, straight forward unit.

And finally. Does your mouse bounce around when you use a laptop? I have seen some that do, but my macbook's touch pad doesn't interfere and is far bigger than my z10. This being my point about a good idea executed poorly.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-14 06:02 PM
    Subscribed... very interesting!

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany - SQN100-3, Running OS 10.2.1.537
    Afourtrackmind likes this.
    02-19-14 07:24 AM
    Wow!! Simply awesome. Hope BlackBerry is listening.
    03-04-14 04:32 PM
    Oh btw, CB should feature this thread.
    Afourtrackmind likes this.
    03-04-14 04:33 PM
    I would just like a portable screen with hdmi to plug a BB10 device into, powered by the device, which will serve as the screen while the BlackBerry will function as solely as the keyboard, which can done via app. Maybe, add the USB hub onto the monitor. Might as well go all out and add the monitor right on to the top of one of those portable scanner/printers and, boom, full suite portable desktop right there.
    03-04-14 04:38 PM
28 12