John Chen spoke about his plan to save BlackBerry in an extensive interview with Forbes, what it takes to turn a company around, why he decided to do it and much more. When asked what makes a great turn around team John Chen stated �urgency and an obsessive focus on the things that matter. You build a team by picking the right people�it all comes down to the right people�who understand this�, he has definitely begun building is team since he became CEO of BlackBerry.

John Chen speaks about turning BlackBerry around, what it takes - BlackBerry Empire
    02-12-14 09:31 AM
    On my read list when I get a moment now.

Edit: awesome article love it, Chen is smart with his words for sure.

Posted via CB10 on my blazing fast Z30 running 10.2.1.1925
    02-12-14 09:33 AM
    It is a herculean task. Thus, I preach caution with regards to back-slapping and high-fiving JC just yet.

Having said that, the guy does inspire confidence naturally, IMHO. His media circuit seems to be picky and highly effective.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    02-12-14 09:48 AM
    How many potential customers fit that profile? wanting a keyboard but not wanting apps?
    There's a huge market segment out there for any regulated industry. Governments, financial services, health care. I think we can go capture those and become a winner. I have two companies in Europe now that have reversed their policies on letting people bring their own devices to work. It presents too much of a security risk. After Angela Merkel was hacked she moved straight to a BlackBerry.
    I wish Chen would have corrected the misconception that BlackBerrys are keyboard only phones.

Z10 STL100-3 |10.2.1.1925 | Bell | CB10
    02-12-14 10:01 AM
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Chen, but I kind of cringed at "obsessive focus" because it harkens back to Heins' "laser focus." I really, really hope Chen means it and isn't just throwing out buzz words.

Also, I hope he's not dismissing the importance of some apps. I know in the healthcare field there are many specialized apps to be utilized. And in the communications industry there are a lot of specialized apps as well for various conferencing services. I would hope that a device focusing on communications would have these apps available! I think a lot of times when people hear "apps" their mind goes to games and social media apps and not industry-specific apps.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-12-14 10:09 AM
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Chen, but I kind of cringed at "obsessive focus" because it harkens back to Heins' "laser focus." I really, really hope Chen means it and isn't just throwing out buzz words.

Also, I hope he's not dismissing the importance of some apps. I know in the healthcare field there are many specialized apps to be utilized. And in the communications industry there are a lot of specialized apps as well for various conferencing services. I would hope that a device focusing on communications would have these apps available! I think a lot of times when people hear "apps" their mind goes to games and social media apps and not industry-specific apps.
    Problem is honestly the only way you can get those apps is to get more users on board.

Posted via CB10
    02-12-14 10:12 AM