Guys I've got an extra playbook laying around the house and have decided to bring it with my to work as an office device.

do any of you know of practical ways the I can use it at work?
    Apps, scenarios etc..

Please help! I would really love to hear creative ways that you guys have used it in the workplace?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 01:16 AM
    It's not creative but I use evernote on the playbook in meetings a lot and opening/sharing pdf's from my q10. I bring along my q10 and use the bridge function for mouse and keyboard. Impresses my colleagues no end. Then I can quickly share with the everyone at the meeting via the hdmi output (I have a hdmi to vga adaptor as our projectors still dont have hdmi connections) and still control the device via the bridge function.
    phschlender likes this.
    02-11-14 01:30 AM
    I loaded up KingSoft Office and ESFileExplorer. These are Android apps in bar form you can find by searching here. If you know how to sideload then they are very good around the office. ESFileExplorer has a neat trick where you can assign a special gesture to quickly navigate to special folders. I make a 'D' shape to go to my documents folder for example. The kicker is that when you choose a word document or a PDF it gives you the option to choose either KingSoft Office or DocsToGo which is the native office suite. That's huge because you can navigate multiple documents at once and edit them.

Oh, if you don't think that is what you'll use your playbook for then I would suggest Nobex and Slacker radio apps to at least make it into a decent office radio. haha. It does have stereo speakers!

I still find the PB useful. Not many people do. The multitasking is like no other.
    02-11-14 01:30 AM
    Guys I've got an extra playbook laying around the house and have decided to bring it with my to work as an office device.

do any of you know of practical ways the I can use it at work?
    Apps, scenarios etc..

Please help! I would really love to hear creative ways that you guys have used it in the workplace?

Posted via CB10
    If you tell us how you want to use the BlackBerry PlayBook in the office we can offer realistic suggestions. For example, in my case the BlackBerry PlayBook with the BlackBerry Leather Case and Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard and a Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse allows me to edit LaTeX documents, maintain an internal technical documentation wiki, securely access various servers running GNU/Linux or Microsoft Windows Server, securely access virtual workspaces for software development, stream audio and video, read PDF documents, read Microsoft Word and Excel documents, access files on the network and in the cloud, take professional development and academic courses, etc. I miss the ability to read/reply-to/compose email via BlackBerry Bridge and BlackBerry Q5 as I was able to with the legacy BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780 smartphones. I store all files on the microSD card accessible via BlackBerry Bridge and which is synchronised with a storage provider.The HDMI output capability is very handy especially for presentations as is the ability to use my BlackBerry Q5 as a remotely controlled mouse and keyboard for the tablet. I have a second professional-use BlackBerry PlayBook in a HipStreet Leather Executive Case which looks akin to a traditional Day Planner when zipped and this tablet is primarily used when I am not creating or modifying content apart from calendar entries or notes during meetings.
    Last edited by qwerty4ever; 02-11-14 at 02:40 AM.
    GV2012, Carl Estes and rich1017 like this.
    02-11-14 02:22 AM
    It may not have been your primary reason for taking it to the office, but you will attract snarky, condescending comments from your 'colleagues' and will be made to feel an outsider for not using an iSh1t.
    02-11-14 02:45 AM
    It certainly might start out like that but I've found they're a little jealous after seeing what it can do.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    02-11-14 02:51 AM
    Our company gives out BlackBerry's to most employees. I've never really wanted one cause I already got a Q10 and don't want to really be carrying two devices.

Do you guys know if it's possible to connect the companies outlook email so that the playbook receives those emails?

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 03:25 AM
    Our company gives out BlackBerry's to most employees. I've never really wanted one cause I already got a Q10 and don't want to really be carrying two devices.

Do you guys know if it's possible to connect the companies outlook email so that the playbook receives those emails?

Posted via CB10
    I have both Q10 and PlayBook, use them both for work. You office probably uses Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync account. Use your logon details to create an account on the PlayBook and your E-mail and Contacts and Calendar will sync to your PlayBook. Also if you get a the Remote Desktop app, you can hook into your work files and folders away from the office. I use my PlayBook for online documentation and on the spot research.
    02-11-14 03:55 AM
    When I'm working in the field (much less frequently than I used to) I use my PlayBook to record certain data in Excel. It makes it so much easier to work with back in the office (most of our tech's still use pen and paper and have to enter it later on anyway).
    02-11-14 08:13 AM
    I'm one of our BES10 Administrators here at work and my PlayBook is on our BES10 so all of my corporate email and calendar flows to it. Mine is the 4G LTE PlayBook and it has an AT&T account so it operates on its own or paired with my Z30 via BlackBerry Bridge.

When I cover a given week's after hours support for our executive community remotely I use Remote Desktop for BlackBerry PlayBook to access servers and my laptop PC which never leaves its dock anymore , so it's just like having my laptop with me but without the extra bulk and weight.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 10:02 AM

Posted via CB10
    You have two options depending whether your corporate IT security allows it.

1. If BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 is running within the corporate environment, you could activate your personal BlackBerry Q10 against the BES and have separate personal and work partitions, or you could activate your BlackBerry PlayBook against the BES and then configure email on the tablet.
    2. If there is no BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10, you could configure your work email account on your personal BlackBerry Q10.

Again everything I've said is dependent upon the policies of your organisation.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    02-11-14 11:49 AM
    Simple use for me. As a 3rd screen, with browser opened for things that used to be tabs I had to switch to, in particular, my CRM's calendar/task section - allows me to set meetings and appointments without leaving my contact screen for a calender peek. Also for background music, personal email peeks, BBMs, etc without picking up phone. I leave it sitting on the desk in a BlackBerry dock.

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 12:34 PM
    If you tell us how you want to use the BlackBerry PlayBook in the office we can offer realistic suggestions. For example, in my case the BlackBerry PlayBook with the BlackBerry Leather Case and Bluetooth Mini-Keyboard and a Logitech V470 Bluetooth Mouse allows me to edit LaTeX documents, maintain an internal technical documentation wiki, securely access various servers running GNU/Linux or Microsoft Windows Server, securely access virtual workspaces for software development, stream audio and video, read PDF documents, read Microsoft Word and Excel documents, access files on the network and in the cloud, take professional development and academic courses, etc. I miss the ability to read/reply-to/compose email via BlackBerry Bridge and BlackBerry Q5 as I was able to with the legacy BlackBerry Bold 9700/9780 smartphones. I store all files on the microSD card accessible via BlackBerry Bridge and which is synchronised with a storage provider.The HDMI output capability is very handy especially for presentations as is the ability to use my BlackBerry Q5 as a remotely controlled mouse and keyboard for the tablet. I have a second professional-use BlackBerry PlayBook in a HipStreet Leather Executive Case which looks akin to a traditional Day Planner when zipped and this tablet is primarily used when I am not creating or modifying content apart from calendar entries or notes during meetings.
    Well put and the question OP posed was odd. It reminded me of a time when the Internet was not quite in every house and office (yea I'm old) people would ask, "what does it do" lol
    02-11-14 09:11 PM
    Does anybody know the technical specifications for a HDMI cable to be plugged into the playbook and connected to a TV?
    02-13-14 09:01 AM
    Does anybody know the technical specifications for a HDMI cable to be plugged into the playbook and connected to a TV?
    Any Micro-HDMI to HDMI cable will work, as long as you don't get the cheap Made in China pcs of chit out there. I use 3 6 foot cable mated together and have zero issues. I have the Best Buy/RocketFish cables and theyt work as advertised.
    On a side note, make sure you use the DATA cable for the PB to PC transfer/backups. Not all micro USB cables are the same, some are just for charging and will cause issues (and headaches) when trying to use the cheapies....

Have fun!

c
    02-13-14 09:07 AM
    I think that I'm using a "cheap Made in China pcs of chit" 10 ft. hdmi cable mated to a "cheap Made in China pcs of chit" hdmi to mico hdmi adapter. Both work fine
    02-13-14 10:54 AM
    I think that I'm using a "cheap Made in China pcs of chit" 10 ft. hdmi cable mated to a "cheap Made in China pcs of chit" hdmi to mico hdmi adapter. Both work fine
    You must have got the Made in China pcs of pooop models

Either that or you got the snoop dog, dat's some good chit model.
    02-13-14 01:58 PM
    Sideload the android Evernote version. Way better than the one in app world.

I've made company specific word templates in docs to go and use those all the time. Actually I made the template on my desktop MS Word then copied them over. Works great!

I use office talk free (sideload) to tie into my Microsoft Office Communicator account.

Plus when your seen using your playbook as a note taking device that's what people will think you're doing....but what you're really doing is checking email, BBM, etc.

Freenote+ (sideload) is the best handwriting note taking app I have ever come across.

Posted via CB10
    02-13-14 04:39 PM
    The one that I'm interested in says: Cable Micro Hdmi (D type) To Hdmi (A type) 4,5 Metres Av4

Will it work with my PB and BlackBerry Q10? Thank you.
    02-14-14 07:32 PM