I recently got bored of my Z10 and adopted a Note 3 and what an experience it has been. The switch really helped me solidify the strengths and weaknesses of BB10.

To sum up my feelings for BB10...

Strengths:

Hub/keyboard - duh. No brainer here.

LED control - sorely miss BeBuzz on my Android.

Various native apps - BlackBerry did a great job of their native, built-in apps. Definitely crushes the crap Samsung forces on you.

Browser - dear god how I miss a working Desktop mode and the navigation on the bottom.

Weaknesses:

Customization - HUGE issue for me. I need to be able to customize my experience and BB10 definitely lacked this. No icon customizability whatsoever and just bare minimum home screen control. Not huge for many but lack of options was my biggest gripe for iOS (unless jail broken) and BB10 once I understood the basics of the device. Anyone who has ever used Activator on iOS knows what I mean.

Screen size - eh. Too each their own for this one. The Note 3 screen is gorgeous though. The Z30 is definitely great but I do love my phablet

App options - BB10 has room to grow with respect to incorporate user-definable default apps (ex. YouTube link always opening in browser and never option to open YouTube app or equivalent)

Widgets - BB10 needs to refine the Active Frame concept to either be more widget-like or more useful in general (especially on QWERTY devices :s).
    (Edit) Google Now alternative - growing to love this system on Android. Learns as it goes and provides great information at a glance.

Anyone else switch from BB10 have anything they'd like to share?

Posted from my TARDIS!
    Last edited by heyjohnnybravo; 02-13-14 at 12:58 AM.
    bcfour and Supa_Fly1 like this.
    02-11-14 12:07 AM
    To each their own
    Glad you found the phone that works for you!

Posted via CB10
    Its Spade likes this.
    02-11-14 12:15 AM
    Had a note 3 got rid of it for a z30.

Note 3 has too much bloatware. Had to erase everything and install cynogenmod11 which made it quicker to run.

Speakers and battery life on my z30 are better than my note 3 was.

Also the spen becomes boring after a while.

Posted via CB10
    mk2234, EsJayDee, SK122387 and 3 others like this.
    02-11-14 12:31 AM
    I actually like the simplicity of bb10, but that's me

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 12:33 AM
    Note 3 battery life is fkn amazing. I got 3 full days before I need a charge on my note 3.

I'm on a Z10 90% of the time though. I love my BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    02-11-14 01:33 AM
    App options - BB10 lacks the ability to incorporate user-definable default apps.
    Looking for this?
    Settings > App Manager > Default Apps
    drfever and Karan Mohal like this.
    02-11-14 01:40 AM
    I actually like the simplicity of bb10, but that's me

Posted via CB10
    The simplicity of BB10 is actually what I enjoyed the least about the experience. To each their own indeed.
    02-11-14 09:37 PM
    I agree with the active tile widgets. That's about it though.

Z30 10.2.1.537
    02-11-14 09:44 PM
    Yeah I don't like too much customization. I like the fact that BlackBerry 10 is clean and has good stock communications apps right out of the box.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    02-11-14 09:49 PM
    Looking for this?
    Settings > App Manager > Default Apps
    I wish. It still won't let me say that ".log" is a text file.

Posted via CB10
    heyjohnnybravo likes this.
    02-11-14 09:50 PM
    Buyer's remorse.
    I recently got bored of my Z10 and adopted a Note 3 and what an experience it has been. The switch really helped me solidify the strengths and weaknesses of BB10.

Strengths:

Various native apps - BlackBerry did a great job of their native, built-in apps. Definitely crushes the crap Samsung forces on you.

Browser - dear god how I miss a working Desktop mode and the navigation on the bottom.

Weaknesses:
    Customization - HUGE issue for me. I need to be able to customize my experience and BB10 definitely lacked this. No icon customizability whatsoever and just bare minimum home screen control.

Screen size - eh. Too each their own for this one. The Note 3 screen is gorgeous though.

App options - BB10 lacks the ability to incorporate user-definable default apps.

Widgets - BB10 needs to refine the Active Frame concept to either be more widget-like or more useful in general (especially on QWERTY devices).

Anyone else switch from BB10 have anything they'd like to share?

Posted from my TARDIS!
    drfever likes this.
    02-11-14 09:59 PM
    One advantage of BlackBerry is swiping up and closing apps. Great for unresponsive apps, and I find it more convenient when switching apps while driving.

Great you like the Note 3! Yes it was a difficult choice between the Z30 and Note 3. Both are excellent.

Posted via CB10
    heyjohnnybravo likes this.
    02-11-14 10:54 PM

Strengths:

You should download lightflow. It's an app that allows you to change the color of your Led.

Sent From  using Tapatalk
    randall2580 and Acidwire like this.
    02-11-14 11:08 PM
    Sorry, but Android widgets are as useless as OS X widgets or Windows gadgets. BB10 does a great job presenting users with info that is actually useful.

Posted via CB10
    damien kupuku likes this.
    02-11-14 11:53 PM
    The whole customization thing with Android totally escapes me. You can make your home screen look cool, colorful, cute, lively? Who would care about such nonsense? I think BlackBerry does it just fine with what you get in a stock phone. I don't really care about "expressing myself" through my home screen or whacky wallpaper and icons but apparently many do since Android is well loved for the ability to customize. I think customization makes people believe they have more control over their phone than they really do.
    02-12-14 12:09 AM
    Buyer's remorse.
    Is exactly what I felt after being an early Z10 adopter. Leaks and updates have brought the OS some distance but there's room to grow. Definitely want to see what the Chenpire produces though.

Love my Note 3 and doubt I'll be leaving Android any time soon.

Sorry, but Android widgets are as useless as OS X widgets or Windows gadgets. BB10 does a great job presenting users with info that is actually useful.

Posted via CB10
    The only useful presentation of information was not BlackBerry made and it was from the BeBuzz 10 widget and battery information. All the BlackBerry 10 apps, while well made, have practically useless Active Frames (with some exceptions such as the File Manager).
    Last edited by heyjohnnybravo; 02-12-14 at 03:51 AM.
    02-12-14 03:32 AM
    I miss the gestures of BB10 and the active frames. I don't miss reader mode in the browser or the absence of a Swype keyboard. I don't have many widgets on my S4, so that's not an issue for me. I rooted and got rid of the bloatware, so that's not an issue either. I didn't use BeBuzz but there are a number of similar apps in Google Play.

I might get a Z30 if the price comes down a bit.

Sent via Tapatalk
    02-12-14 04:53 AM
    still could not compare Note 3 with Z30, the best is still Z30
    02-12-14 05:01 AM
    None of your weaknesses of the z10 stood out to me.

I absolutely hate widgets. Perhaps the active frames could be more interactive bit I'm fine as they are now.

I don't care for icon or screen customisation.

I find the notifications and customisation of quick setting and the hub far outweigh the weaknesses.

Not much can be done about the screen size but part of the pain can be alleviated with the z30.
    02-12-14 05:06 AM
    I've read quite a few of these comparison threads, and I've seen nothing that would make me switch from a BlackBerry. I'm glad the choice is there, but for me, function and security are so much more important than the broader customization options that Android offers. And now that I've seen the apps we've been missing, I'm very unimpressed. I will need to install five apps that are not available natively - Autocad, PayPal, Square, QuickBooks and fully functioning Starbucks. And if and when any of these are available natively, the Android versions will get booted off.

Can't wait for the Z30 price to drop.
    02-12-14 07:07 AM
    I carry a Q10 and a Note 3. I absolutely love both (although I occassionally use the wrong gestures on the wrong phone). Guess which one is for business and which one is for entertainment?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    02-12-14 07:30 AM
    And now that I've seen the apps we've been missing, I'm very unimpressed. I will need to install five apps that are not available natively - Autocad, PayPal, Square, QuickBooks and fully functioning Starbucks. And if and when any of these are available natively, the Android versions will get booted off.
    This sums up the point about apps very well though. It's not about being impressed with the vastness of Google Play. It's about the handful of apps that, as you say, you need to install. For many of us, it's just a handful, maybe even just one or two, but if they're the ones we need then they become reasons not to move back to BlackBerry from a Note 3 or whatever--at least for people who aren't comfortable with the whole .apk process.

For what it's worth, my S4 is less stable after the recent OS upgrade to 4.3. This gives me a little nudge back towards BB10, which I found to be very solid when I had a Z10. There is, however, one paid app that I'm using more and more, and I'd be reluctant to give it up, so who knows?
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-12-14 07:57 AM
    I think you have some great points. One of the best strengths vs weaknesses post out there.
    02-12-14 08:09 AM
    This sums up the point about apps very well though. It's not about being impressed with the vastness of Google Play. It's about the handful of apps that, as you say, you need to install. For many of us, it's just a handful, maybe even just one or two, but if they're the ones we need then they become reasons not to move back to BlackBerry from a Note 3 or whatever--at least for people who aren't comfortable with the whole .apk process.

For what it's worth, my S4 is less stable after the recent OS upgrade to 4.3. This gives me a little nudge back towards BB10, which I found to be very solid when I had a Z10. There is, however, one paid app that I'm using more and more, and I'd be reluctant to give it up, so who knows?
    The paid app might work if you download via Snap. Once you have purchased it it shows under Snap's available apps section.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    02-12-14 09:00 AM
    I just don't get the whole app thing with Android. I used a Droid for a little over a year, but don't have any android apps on my Q10.

What are these must have Android apps?
    02-12-14 09:24 AM
60 123