Good morning everyone!

For those of you that don't know, US Cellular sold their Chicago market to Sprint, so I had to make the change to a different carrier. Given that Verizon is the only one with a Z30, I switched to the Big Red.

A couple of noteworthy items - I visited three different verizon stores in the larger Chicagoland area and NONE of them had a Blackberry in stock to play with. Literally, no blackberry, no Z10, Q10 or Z30. Also, several reps as well as a manager gave me the old "Why do you want a blackberry? You know they're going out of business...blah blah blah". It got so frustrating wasting my time that at one point I told one of them off. I responded with "I am getting a blackberry because of the Operating System. Do you know the OS on the blackberry? Do you know who John Chen is? Are you aware that he is the new CEO and that blackberry is doing perfectly fine and is far from going out of business?" The guy just said, I'll be over there if you need help. It's sad that Verizon management doesn't encourage all employees to develop a non-biased knowledge of the devices they are selling.

Anyways, the jump from the 9650 to the Z30 has been interesting. It's been a simple learning curve and I am getting used to the gestures for the phone. I am thoroughly enjoying the new OS 10.2.1 (sideloaded the leak). However, there are a few things that I cannot figure out:
    - My 9650 could have a vibrate alarm for my wake up calls in the morning. The z30 does not show this as an option.
    - What happened to all the native blackberry apps that I had on my 9650, which I downloaded a few years ago? Namely, Pandora, Blackberry Traffic and Google Maps? I ended up installing them via the Snap app.
    - The handset speaker seems kind of low in comparison to my old phone. I have it on the loudest but still feel like the person on the other end needs to "speak up". (Maybe I'm just getting older).
    - The same holds true for playing Pandora through an Aux cable to my car. I turned the volume all the way up on both the z30 and my car volume and the sound was still mediocre.
    - Finally, before I was able to edit all my emails through the BIS service on uscellular.blackberry.com; however, vzw.blackberry.com is for OS 7 and lower. With the new OS 10, the blackberry is forcing me to add all my accounts through the set up app. Unfortunately, I don't know the server information for my work email (Hilton). Is there a way around this? If not, I may have to go through the IT department.

Any feedback is sincerely appreciated. Again, I'm loving this new phone and can't wait to master it's abilities.

Best regards,
    Dan
    01-31-14 08:30 AM
    - My 9650 could have a vibrate alarm for my wake up calls in the morning. The z30 does not show this as an option.
    - What happened to all the native blackberry apps that I had on my 9650, which I downloaded a few years ago? Namely, Pandora, Blackberry Traffic and Google Maps? I ended up installing them via the Snap app.
    - The handset speaker seems kind of low in comparison to my old phone. I have it on the loudest but still feel like the person on the other end needs to "speak up". (Maybe I'm just getting older).
    - The same holds true for playing Pandora through an Aux cable to my car. I turned the volume all the way up on both the z30 and my car volume and the sound was still mediocre.
    - Finally, before I was able to edit all my emails through the BIS service on uscellular.blackberry.com; however, vzw.blackberry.com is for OS 7 and lower. With the new OS 10, the blackberry is forcing me to add all my accounts through the set up app. Unfortunately, I don't know the server information for my work email (Hilton). Is there a way around this? If not, I may have to go through the IT department.
    Hi Dan and congratulations on your Z30!!!!!!!
    It's a world of difference when you use it right after the 9650!

To answer your questions:
    No vibrate as an alarm unless you add a third party app, I would assume.
    No BB Traffic any more as a sep app. It is in the BBMaps app. All rolled into one. Instead of Pandora, use a client called Apollo. Works great!

No BIS anymore so you have to set up your email on your phone or you won't have it. You will have to talk to your IT people at the Hilton where you work for the pertinent info.

Hope this helps!
    Enjoy the Z30!
    01-31-14 08:50 AM
    Thanks for the info Jaydee!

I'd still be interested in hearing other people's input on the sound quality of the headset speaker and the aux output.

01-31-14 09:00 AM
    Wow that's a giant leap, happy for you. Thinking of going vzw for the Z30 but want employees discount from my best buddy who works at their network center. I wish these companies will educate their sales reps smh.
    I find my Bold 9900 the loudest compared to my Z10
    Any enjoy your phone and Apollo App for Pandora is excellent no ads and no time outs. Works like a Pandora One

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 09:11 AM
    I have a Z10 and can put vibrate on my stock alarm. I go to Setting>Notifications>Applications>Alarm Clock and can set the setting in there. Not sure if you have the same on your Z30 but its worth a peek.
    01-31-14 09:31 AM
    I have a Z10 and can put vibrate on my stock alarm. I go to Setting>Notifications>Applications>Alarm Clock and can set the setting in there. Not sure if you have the same on your Z30 but its worth a peek.
    Thanks BlueRaven. I took a peek and the Alarm App is not on the list. I can only access the Alarms from the clock app on the homescreen.
    01-31-14 10:02 AM
    I'm jealous! That's the leap I wanted to make! I had the 9650 and I'm on Sprint in the Chicagoland area. I ended up getting the Q10 instead though.

I'm surprised you held out this long! I must have gone through 4 batteries on that thing!

Posted with my Q10!
    01-31-14 10:38 AM
    Update: I didn't notice but the 10.2.1 update allows for vibrate in the alarm. Thanks for your help in regards to this.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 10:55 AM
    I'm jealous! That's the leap I wanted to make! I had the 9650 and I'm on Sprint in the Chicagoland area. I ended up getting the Q10 instead though.

I'm surprised you held out this long! I must have gone through 4 batteries on that thing!

Posted with my Q10!
    Good choice. I was debating between the two because of the QWERTY keyboard but I wanted to try something new.

I literally had to plug in my 9650 about 4 or 5 times a day. It was the biggest PITA.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 10:57 AM
    Good choice. I was debating between the two because of the QWERTY keyboard but I wanted to try something new.

I literally had to plug in my 9650 about 4 or 5 times a day. It was the biggest PITA.

Posted via CB10
    The car charger was a life saver

Posted with my Q10!
    02-01-14 02:18 PM