Why doesn't BlackBerry ever do anything innovative like Apple? Honestly, I'm speechless and a little nauseated...

Apple applies for 'smart bezel' patent for iPads

The technology would bring sensors to the device's bezel, effectively adding more gestures and touch inputs to areas not typically in-use on current-generation slates.
    Apple applies for 'smart bezel' patent for iPads | Apple - CNET News
    01-30-14 02:53 PM
    It's a patent, not yet reality. A lot of 'innovative' patents never even get used. You just hear more about Apple's because well, it's Apple.

Between 2012 and to-date in 2013, BlackBerry filed 1,426 US patent applications. Its filing rate is comparable to Ericsson, with 1,429 filings, and slightly below Microsoft’s 1,527 filings during the same time period. Interestingly, BlackBerry’s patent application filings surpass both Apple and Google, which have large patent portfolios that dwarf BlackBerry’s, and which have a more diversified business than BlackBerry.

BlackBerry’s continued emphasis on acquiring patents on its technology indicates that the company is still innovating and pursuing research and development initiatives, even in light of recent downturns in its business. This focus on innovation, despite the company exploring various strategic options, may be a reassuring sign that the company has not given up on its technology.
    http://envisionip.com/blog/2013/10/2...on-innovation/
    01-30-14 02:55 PM
    Good old innovative (cough borrowing cough) Apple. But I guess this is just the ways things are in tech. As been pointed out by many, BlackBerry is not necessarily innocent in this regard either.
    01-30-14 03:05 PM
    how will they get a patent on this when the Playbook and now the BB10 devices all have "smart bezels". Seriously does that not fall under prior art? I guess the devil might be in the details
    needforbbx likes this.
    01-30-14 03:08 PM
    It's a patent, not yet reality. A lot of 'innovative' patents never even get used. You just hear more about Apple's because well, it's Apple.
    Yes, but a patent used to be pursued when you invented something not when you like something someone else is doing and copy it and then apply for a patent for it.
    Last edited by TheScionicMan; 01-30-14 at 04:38 PM.
    01-30-14 04:19 PM
    Yes, but a patent used to be pursued when you invented something not when you like something someone else is doing and copy it and then apply for a patent for it.
    apple is a bigger company then blackberry and i'm pretty sure blackberry has more recent innovative patents or patents as a whole.

Do research before making a thread
    01-30-14 04:48 PM
    in other news the next iPhone is expected to use a capacitive dimple for the home button.
    01-31-14 03:27 AM
    The Windows 8 OS already have those "smart bezels" on its touch screen laptops/computers if I'm not mistaken

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 04:52 AM
    In my experience the W8 function in a completely different manner, typically when a user activates the bezel on Windows, it was not on purpose, and then spends a minute trying to stop W8 from sharing, opening the control panel etc., delivering what you do not want when you do not want it.
    01-31-14 05:03 AM
    apple is a bigger company then blackberry and i'm pretty sure blackberry has more recent innovative patents or patents as a whole.

Do research before making a thread
    He is being sarcastic

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 05:15 AM
    Just a quick read of the article.

According to Patently Apple, which earlier reported on the patent application, the technology includes so-called "force sensors" that are sitting at the corners of the black bezel around a tablet display. Along the bezel, Apple would also have sensors around the bezel that would identify both pressure and location and perform an action.
    Seems this is more about pressure sensitive sensors at the corners. Nothing like what any Blackberry device is using now.
    I wish you lot would stop your whining and actually READ these things before grabbing the pitchforks.

PS: when one considers that Palm's WebOS devices had bezel gestures well before the PlayBook came out, I'm surprised people on CrackBerry still get riled up once some other company decides to incorporate bezel gestures.
    01-31-14 06:26 AM
    You mean there's gonna be gestures involved? But gestures are complicated! God knows the 3 gestures bb10 has already cause enough confusion....or are we forgetting the whole "bigger learning curve" argument everyone kept throwing out when bb10 launched.

God forbid apple users ever need to do anything more than press a button.

Posted via CB10
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    01-31-14 06:29 AM
    If it's anything like their auto correct that crap is going to make it so you can never touch your phone without your screen jumping all over the place! Lol

If they would catch up to real phones and eliminate that button they could do away with bezels altogether and get more screen space. That's what they should be " innovating"....... oh wait some one already did that, oh ok that's what will happen then. Make more screen space and claim to be the first to do it (facepalm)

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    01-31-14 06:34 AM

Seems this is more about pressure sensitive sensors at the corners. Nothing like what any Blackberry device is using now.
    I wish you lot would stop your whining and actually READ these things before grabbing the pitchforks.

PS: when one considers that Palm's WebOS devices had bezel gestures well before the PlayBook came out, I'm surprised people on CrackBerry still get riled up once some other company decides to incorporate bezel gestures.
    Oh ok so they are innovating like the storm phone, that screen had sensors at the corner of the screen as well when you pushed down on it!

Yay flapple!

Hate solves nothing, Respect gains everything!
    GRojasHruska likes this.
    01-31-14 06:37 AM
    If it's anything like their auto correct that crap is going to make it so you can never touch your phone without your screen jumping all over the place! Lol
    Of course, if you actually knew anything about Apple tablets, you'd know how much praise their newer ipads (mini, Air) get from consumers and reviewers for their excellent palm rejection around the bezel areas (hence the really thin bezels). They pretty much know how to execute very well.

If they would catch up to real phones and eliminate that button they could do away with bezels altogether and get more screen space. That's what they should be " innovating".
    I'm not sure the wisdom is in a Blackberry fanboy sneering about a hardware feature getting in the way of bigger screen sizes, especially when your CEO insists a focus on phones with physical keyboards is in the cards for 2014.

So...Facepalm

oh wait some one already did that, oh ok that's what will happen then. Make more screen space and claim to be the first to do it (facepalm)
    We both know nobody is going to claim a bigger screen as an innovation. The new iPhone is practically guaranteed to have a larger screen. It's a natural progression. I seem to remember many articles here touting smaller screen sizes for Blackberry phones as perfection for one handed use for busy execs. Didn't stop the Z30 from coming out.

Funny thing is, they don't have to remove the home button to get a bigger screen. The bezel area in the Z30 is enough to fit in a home button anyway.

Oh ok so they are innovating like the storm phone, that screen had sensors at the corner of the screen as well when you pushed down on it!

Yay flapple!
    This may come as a shock to you, but 'screen' and 'bezel' mean two different things.
    bbq10l likes this.
    01-31-14 07:39 AM
    You mean there's gonna be gestures involved? But gestures are complicated! God knows the 3 gestures bb10 has already cause enough confusion....or are we forgetting the whole "bigger learning curve" argument everyone kept throwing out when bb10 launched.

God forbid apple users ever need to do anything more than press a button.

Posted via CB10
    There are already swipe gestures in iOS7 for advanced users. This works well because these gestures are not central to the operation of the iDevices, unlike BB10 devices where you cannot use it without gestures.

Do you people even follow up on tech apart from Blackberry devices at all?! Sad that 90% of the time, the vocal ones here have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
    JeepBB, bbq10l and propeller10 like this.
    01-31-14 07:43 AM
    no its not how many patents are out there that are not being used and nothing came out. BlackBerry has startrek like devices patented that aare not in use and may never be in use, its just to secure an idea if things ever get used, or to try and charge a royalty on anyone using the idea
    01-31-14 08:55 AM

truth
    01-31-14 08:58 AM
    Garmin have had that technology on their forerunner watches for years.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 11:05 AM
    The Touch pad on my laptop is a Smart Bezel of sorts already.

Posted via CB10
    01-31-14 02:44 PM
    Not entirely true.

Patent laws changed in the US recently. We're no longer a "first-to-create" patent system anymore but now a "first-to-patent".
    01-31-14 03:51 PM
    That's what apple always do. Some else invent something, they overhaule it and then patented by Apple

Posted via CB10
    02-01-14 12:57 PM
    Why doesn't BlackBerry ever do anything innovative like Apple? Honestly, I'm speechless and a little nauseated...

Apple applies for 'smart bezel' patent for iPads

Apple applies for 'smart bezel' patent for iPads | Apple - CNET News
    Over the past few quarters, BB have decimated R&D budget and personnel. It's unfortunate, but true.

The "Brain Drain" has been a huge issue internally.

Google, Apple and others have set up shop locally picking up recent layoffs, to think others have not left this sinking ship for more secure employment elsewhere is naive.

We see nice, positive press releases, but internally it's a disaster.

Just sayin.
    02-02-14 02:19 AM
    There are already swipe gestures in iOS7 for advanced users. This works well because these gestures are not central to the operation of the iDevices, unlike BB10 devices where you cannot use it without gestures.

Do you people even follow up on tech apart from Blackberry devices at all?! Sad that 90% of the time, the vocal ones here have absolutely no idea what they are talking about.
    But that is the main point of contention. BlackBerry 10 's fundamental ui is gesture based and is therefore focused on reducing overall time used / wasted.

With iOS gestures you still have to refer back to the home button every now and then.

I'm not saying that either of the interfaces are bad. But they are good for the underlying ideology they were designed for.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 02:43 AM
    But that is the main point of contention. BlackBerry 10 's fundamental ui is gesture based and is therefore focused on reducing overall time used / wasted.

With iOS gestures you still have to refer back to the home button every now and then.

I'm not saying that either of the interfaces are bad. But they are good for the underlying ideology they were designed for.

Posted via CB10
    I've found too much discussion on Crackberry over this issue that at best saves you a few seconds a day. It takes me the same time to tap the home button to go back to the home screen as it takes to do the Swipe up gesture in my Q10. Multitasking is marginally faster since swiping up once is marginally faster than double tapping on the home button, but I suspect to most people, that doesn't make a big difference.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
    02-02-14 04:17 AM
30 12