I try to understand the reason of why with an unlocked BlackBerry we still need to wait on a carrier to receive an update, but there is no way. No matter how you look it, it shouldn't be that way.
    People buys an unlocked Android or Windows Phone to receive updates directly from a manufacturer and not from a carrier, but why not with BlackBerry?

Why with BlackBerry we are stuck with the carrier ignoring if it is an unlocked device? for security reasons or why? That is really annoying, people buys an unlocked to skip a carrier update, not to still depend on them. We shouldn't have to update changing the sim or downloading from other ways.
    01-29-14 07:11 PM
    If you're buying an unlocked device for that reason, then you're buying it for the wrong reason because it's only true in some cases. That said, your unlocked device doesn't really need to wait for carrier releases either.

BlackBerry 10 and the way it is set up is that the device is bound by the SIM in it, therefore with the SIM in it you're then reliant upon that carrier. If you take the SIM out and check for updates or connect it to BlackBerry Link there is higher probability that the update will be available.

Your whole post is based on misconception and a lack of understanding as well (not that that's a terrible thing because most folks don't get it anyway) because yes, while carriers are a big part of the roll out and they need to approve the update. The update itself comes directly from BlackBerry, there's no update waiting to be placed on carriers servers somewhere that your device checks.

If you're on X carrier, your device checks against a list of approved carriers and if X is on that list, it sends it out. Removing X carrier from the equation helps speed up the process. How do you think people using a BlackBerry 10 device on unsupported carriers get the update? Hint: It comes from BlackBerry because X carrier isn't even on the list to be approved so it uses the fallback BlackBerry update.
    01-29-14 07:35 PM
    I had the same feeling. Just buy a $3 Telus sim card from eBay and plug it in and you'll get the newest updates since Canadian carriers push it out first. But I get your point.
    01-29-14 07:37 PM
    I think OS updates and locked devices are two separate issues.

A carrier locked device is locked to a carrier in order for the carrier to have a revenue for a certain time.

OTA updates are locked to the network on which the device is operating. BlackBerry has always worked with carriers and given them (too much) time to test and accept updates, before they were released. I assume this approach was chosen because the carriers would have time to test the device and fix/adjust the network as well as report error to RIM/BB to be fixed before release.

Apple has shown the world, that another approach is possible. No carrier crapware and Apple dictates when the OS is updated. BlackBerry need all it's "carrier friends" and they are not in a position to act like Apple.

When BB10 was designed the radio stack was isolated from the OS and Apps and the intention was (afaik) to be able to update OS/apps without changing an approved radio stack. But because carriers do sell and support the devices, it was a demand that they continued to test/accept before release.

I really wish BlackBerry would give all users the option to update to the latest version. If not approved by the current carrier, they could just show a notification about "This OS version is not tested or supported by your carrier. Install on your own risk."
    01-29-14 07:47 PM
    If you're buying an unlocked device for that reason, then you're buying it for the wrong reason because it's only true in some cases. That said, your unlocked device doesn't really need to wait for carrier releases either.

BlackBerry 10 and the way it is set up is that the device is bound by the SIM in it, therefore with the SIM in it you're then reliant upon that carrier. If you take the SIM out and check for updates or connect it to BlackBerry Link there is higher probability that the update will be available.

Your whole post is based on misconception and a lack of understanding as well (not that that's a terrible thing because most folks don't get it anyway) because yes, while carriers are a big part of the roll out and they need to approve the update. The update itself comes directly from BlackBerry, there's no update waiting to be placed on carriers servers somewhere that your device checks.

If you're on X carrier, your device checks against a list of approved carriers and if X is on that list, it sends it out. Removing X carrier from the equation helps speed up the process. How do you think people using a BlackBerry 10 device on unsupported carriers get the update? Hint: It comes from BlackBerry because X carrier isn't even on the list to be approved so it uses the fallback BlackBerry update.
    Thx.
    I suspected the "remove SIM" could work but I have not had the time to check.

I did however not work with the PlayBook 3G. I did remove the SIM but the 2.1 update was not available (I got it using Sachup and Sachibar), but PB OS 2.0 is of course not the same as BB OS 10.
    01-29-14 07:50 PM
    1.) When BB10 was designed the radio stack was isolated from the OS and Apps and the intention was (afaik) to be able to update OS/apps without changing an approved radio stack. But because carriers do sell and support the devices, it was a demand that they continued to test/accept before release.

2.) I really wish BlackBerry would give all users the option to update to the latest version. If not approved by the current carrier, they could just show a notification about "This OS version is not tested or supported by your carrier. Install on your own risk."
    1.) Already explained dozens of times in as many threads yet people fail to search.

2.) IMO BB seems to be moving away from carrier os releases. Take a look at all the updates in BBW for simplistic applications. I imagine we will see a lot more of these updates in the coming weeks for more relevant parts of the OS.
    01-29-14 07:58 PM

Not really, I tried removing the SIM Card and updating through WIFI but it says the same thing. I asked because I see everyone in here asking about one or another carrier, and changing SIM to update.
    If you a buy an unlocked Moto X or Lumia 720 or whatever, you receive the update directly from the manufacturer (doesn't matter if you try with 2 or 3 different SIM Cards, only depends from the carrier if you buy it locked by the carrier. I suppose it should be same way with BlackBerry but why nobody is saying Factory unlocked - Australia (for example) update received? That is what is confusing me about BlackBerry and their update process.

Sachesi has a way to update without choosing a carrier? I mean choosing for example - UK - Global update or EMEA or whatever, not the name of a carrier.
    01-29-14 08:00 PM
    Did you try connecting to BlackBerry Link without sim card installed and check for updates? Worked for my unlocked Z30.

Posted via CB10... Z30STA100-2/10.2.0.1809
    snakewar likes this.
    01-29-14 08:34 PM
    Did you try connecting to BlackBerry Link without sim card installed and check for updates? Worked for my unlocked Z30.

Posted via CB10... Z30STA100-2/10.2.0.1809
    I tried that way, will do a hard reset and try to see if it find it after that. So if it worked for you, then is like any other unlocked phone that can be updated without depending on a carrier. Thank you!
    01-29-14 08:59 PM