View Poll Results: Does Snap (or other Android app stores) replace BlackBerry World as you main source of apps?

Voters
122. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, Snap (and/or others) basically replace BlackBerry World for med

9 7.38%
  • No, BlackBerry World is still my main source of apps

72 59.02%
  • I use BlackBerry World and Android app stores about equally

41 33.61%
    With 10.2.1, as I'm sure you all know, you can sideload apps directly on your BB10 device from Android app markets such as Snap, Amazon, and 1Mobile (I believe is the name). So that brings up the question: Does Snap or any other 3rd party app store replace BlackBerry World for you? Do you still visit BlackBerry World for apps?

My answer honestly is that I almost never look at BlackBerry World because I know that the selection is so poor that I won't find anything I want. And the things I do know are on BlackBerry World I have already download. Snap is my current main stop for apps.

Plus, this also brings up the question of whether or not sideloading is good for BlackBerry. Sure, you can get Android apps, but it's not something that real consumers would generally do since they have the apps they already need on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone already native with no extra work. The other problem is, if found if the majority of people rely on sideloads, what should BlackBerry do with native apps? Without the native apps, the Active Frames are almost useless, and I personally like the design and feel of native apps better.

So, the question is: Does Snap (or other Android app stores) replace BlackBerry World as you main source of apps? This is a poll for those on CB10 or Tapatalk just incase you would like to vote.
    01-29-14 04:49 PM
    No I always use the apps first on Blackberry World before anything android can steal my data.

Posted by Antoniius via my sexy white Q10.
    walt63, heepman, Oglon3r and 7 others like this.
    01-29-14 04:52 PM
    No. If i wanted Android apps, I'd have an Android phone.

Posted via CB10
    alan510, ssbtech, bob_tn and 1 others like this.
    01-29-14 04:54 PM
    Native is always better. In a meantime, I'll use a few (less than 5) android apps. .

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    01-29-14 04:58 PM
    I hate Android app, due to non controllable permissions

Even in BlackBerry world when ever I download an app then I mention that it's Android app,
    I stop the installation and reject the app

Posted via CB10
    I've used snap only for the 2 apps that were not available in BBWorld. If BlackBerry was running on this latest OS from the start, they would have been an accepted contender for best phone.

Sent from the future on my ? Z10
    Shanerredflag and 007Storm like this.
    Native is always better. In a meantime, I'll use a few (less than 5) android apps. .

Sent from the best touch keyboard, the Z.
    I prefer native as well. I think we all do. But I just can't be content with the apps in BlackBerry World. Yeah, I do have a decent amount of native apps installed, but Snap is still where I look when finding new apps. I already know what's in BlackBerry World and I know what I'm looking for isn't there. That's me, personally.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-29-14 05:00 PM
    No. It is not much out there I am really craving for.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 05:04 PM
    Not sure what the hype with android apps is, I've been very happy with the selection on bbw for my own use. Most android apps I've used were pretty ****ty in comparison to native apps.
    Snap chat is a good example. Horrible UI despite working very well. Unpleasant to use to be honest.
    Even waze, which is a great GPS app has a terrible UI that's just all over the place.
    Anyway, for my needs BlackBerry World works great.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 05:07 PM
    I hear you OP, Snap is just so easy to use and always has everything I often find myself just going straight there for apps. I do slap myself on the wrist after though and make sure to go check in BlackBerry World to see if there's a native version or even an official port (I'll download the port from BlackBerry World just to show the dev there's demand unless the version is way older) and if there is I delete the apk and use that, often though as we all know there isn't. Very happy to have the best of both worlds!

I do wish there was some way for snap to tell me if something I have downloaded is or becomes available in BlackBerry World, but I have no idea as to the logistics of that.

Posted via CB10
    ajst222 and Shanerredflag like this.
    01-29-14 05:10 PM
    BW apps

Sent from the phone of the gods.....Z30
    01-29-14 05:13 PM
    I hear you OP, Snap is just so easy to use and always has everything I often find myself just going straight there for apps. I do slap myself on the wrist after though and make sure to go check in BlackBerry World to see if there's a native version or even an official port (I'll download the port from BlackBerry World just to show the dev there's demand unless the version is way older) and if there is I delete the apk and use that, often though as we all know there isn't. Very happy to have the best of both worlds!

I do wish there was some way for snap to tell me if something I have downloaded is or becomes available in BlackBerry World, but I have no idea as to the logistics of that.

Posted via CB10
    Honestly, that would be a fantastic feature. If there is a native version, I would obviously download it before the sideloaded version. But chances are, there probably isn't a native app. I would love for there to be something to let you know if it's available officially.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    01-29-14 05:14 PM
    The only Android app I would download is Netflix. Everything else I need, I have found native.
    VinLou likes this.
    01-29-14 05:18 PM
    Not for me, personally.

I do really enjoy having the option to browse Android apps and see what is out there.

But I was disappointed to find out that I will not be able to edit the permissions of any Android apps downloaded with Snap (though I shouldn't have been surprised by this, dealing with Android).

There were actually very few apps that are not available in Blackberry World, that I was looking for. I will likely end up downloading 10 or less apps from Android, I think.
    01-29-14 05:22 PM
    BB World first every time. Snap has filled my app gap with 6 UK apps, 2 of which are bank ones and all ones that were previously available on BB7.

The only reason I need them is becuase those companies decided not to support BB10 for their own reasons. When they do, I'll ditch the APK's. In the meantime..

Job done.
    01-29-14 05:22 PM
    I didn't see much than I needed from the Amazon app store. The 1 Android app I actually wanted wasn't there.

Last night after googling a little, I found a mobile Web page version of the app I wanted. I bookmarked that instead and now don't need a dedicated app.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag likes this.
    01-29-14 05:23 PM
    The only Android app I would download is Netflix. Everything else I need, I have found native.
    I agree. Haven't bit the bullet yet, but if I did it would be to download Netflix.
    01-29-14 05:25 PM
    Native mostly. Only downloaded the amazon app store and tested the candy crush app lol. However i must say that the android apps just ask for too may permissions!!! Why do these apps want access to my files, microphone or pictures?
    01-29-14 05:49 PM
    BB World first every time. Snap has filled my app gap with 6 UK apps, 2 of which are bank ones and all ones that were previously available on BB7.

The only reason I need them is becuase those companies decided not to support BB10 for their own reasons. When they do, I'll ditch the APK's. In the meantime..

Job done.
    My thoughts exactly. I tried a few apps that are available both through BBW and Snap, like Facebook. There are a few features in the Android version not yet available in the native version, but I realized when scrolling a list that it's more like my wife's Samsung app - doesn't have that nice 'weighted' feel like the BlackBerry UI. I really like the look and feel of properly implemented native apps, and will continue to make BlackBerry World my #1 choice. Android is only for the minor gaps in my case.

Posted via CB10 on Q10
    01-29-14 05:55 PM
    I find everything I need in BBW.

Posted via CB10 on my ZED10
    01-29-14 06:08 PM
    Check BlackBerry World for an alternative first, if not available I'll use Snap

Snap sometimes is useless for me, due to the lack of the ability to input my own gsfid. Google Play Store is a joke in my country, can't even download Facebook or WhatsApp from it lol

Posted via CB10
    01-29-14 06:17 PM
    Some of the active Devs around the CB forums have made some really useful native apps. My primary loyalty lies with them. Snap for things I can't get otherwise.

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and bungaboy like this.
    01-29-14 06:21 PM
    I use BlackBerry World first but snap is definitely filling in the gaps

Posted via CB10
    Shanerredflag and web99 like this.
    01-29-14 06:21 PM
    Snap os a back up app store for apps not found in bbw. I'd rather use native apps over android, but don't have a problem using Android apps, especially since most run flawlessly on my device.

To me.its the best of both worlds, why? Because if I wasn't able to use the Android apps I can with 10.2.1, I'd probably wouldn't have bought the z30, and continued to carry 2-3 phones.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    01-29-14 06:23 PM
    NO! I need to support BlackBerry if I want BB10 in the future. Thus BlackBerry World first always! Android apps second. Thanks to all the BlackBerry employees who built Bb10 and my z30. Thanks for the continued hard efforts against all odds.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    01-29-14 06:29 PM
116 123 ...