Whilst I am fully aware that government spying goes on, I wonder how secure my Z30 really is when I read articles as the link below. Particularly, I think its worrying how it appears that Google maps are hacked,( I don't use gaming apps and keep all apps to a minimum for this reason) yes we have all the assurances but mistakes happen etc.
    Working in health, in our difficult world, I wonder, how do I protect my client group.

Spymasters swoop on Angry Birds - BT
    British and American spy agencies use mobile phone applications such as the game Angry Birds to gain access to users' personal data, leaked documents revealed.

GCHQ, the government's listening post, and the US National Security Agency (NSA) are using smartphone applications to gather private details such as age, gender and location, as well as contacts and websites visited.

Some applications can even share sensitive information, such as sexual orientation, marital status and income, it was claimed.

The disclosure comes in the latest round of classified documents provided by the whistleblower Edward Snowden, published in the Guardian, the New York Times and ProPublica.

The reports suggest data is gleaned through mapping, gaming and social networking applications, using techniques similar to those used to intercept text message data and mobile internet traffic.

Most major social media websites, such as Facebook and Twitter, remove metadata that can give away information about location from photographs before they are published, the Guardian said.

But during the uploading process data can, briefly, be available for collection by spying agencies.

Depending on a user's profile information, the documents suggested, agencies could then collect almost every useful detail about a person, including home country, current location, age, gender, postcode, marital status, income, ethnicity, education, sexual orientation and number of children.

One NSA document from 2010, entitled Golden Nugget, described a "perfect scenario" in which the agency could gather a broad range of information from a photo uploaded to a social media site from a mobile phone, including phone lists, websites visited and documents downloaded.

Intercepting Google Maps queries was so successful in collecting data that "anyone using Google Maps on a smartphone is working in support of a GCHQ system", another document revealed.

And other papers set out examples of what information on users can be extracted through games such as Angry Birds, which has been downloaded more than 1.7 billion times across the world.

Rovio, the maker of Angry Birds, told the Guardian it had no involvement with GCHQ or the NSA, and that it didn't have any previous knowledge of the matter.

GCHQ told the newspaper its activities were proportional and complied with UK law.

A spokesman said: "It is a longstanding policy that we do not comment of intelligence matters. All of GCHQ's work is carried out in accordance with a strict legal and policy framework which ensures that our activities are authorised, necessary and proportionate, and that there is rigorous oversight."
    01-28-14 03:02 AM
    Not another spying post please. At this rate we need a subforum for tin foil hat threads...

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 05:48 AM
    Not another spying post please. At this rate we need a subforum for tin foil hat threads...

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for your input, I was asking how secure is my BlackBerry, I like your reference to a tin foil hat but I think we would be better protected from radio waves by living inside a wire cage, apparently.
    01-30-14 07:31 AM
    I have security and privacy concerns also. I just returned to Blackberry after a short stint with Android for this reason. Google is much too invasive for me. Tin foil hat firmly in place... Lol.
    01-30-14 08:20 AM
    I see more blinders around here than tinfoil hats.
    rblee26 likes this.
    01-30-14 08:23 AM
    Its not secure at all if any government is looking for you. The ones that are, are linked encrypted to secure servers and are locked down from what you can do on them and even then it depends on the encryption algorithm not being compromised.

What are you trying to be secure from is the question?

There are messaging applications for IOS and I believe android that are as secure as known possible, but I don't know of any for BlackBerry. If you are worried about the average small time computer criminals stealing your banking information the BlackBerry is as secure as "most" up to date web browsers and that encryption depends on the bank you are trying to connect to.

BlackBerry apps are probably more protected against spyware by denying certain app permissions then ios and Google but most of that is likely used for advertising and marketing data so not likely to be a big deal.

I would guess that physically cracking into the device is about the same as any other with a password.

Posted via CB10
    sentimentGX4 likes this.
    01-30-14 12:27 PM
    I'll try to explain my concern. For me, it's not so much about anyone hacking into my account and stealing anything. That has never happened to me no matter the device or ecosystem. It's about privacy. Google finds and aggrgates my information from everywhere and any time. I found a blog post that I made years ago when internet security was not seen as a concern. Heady days those were.

I don't remember the service I used to post but after I went with Android, it showed up in a Google search attached to some blog site that I never even heard of. I don't want this info seen. I'm sure it was always there but obscure and not easily found. Google has linked it with my Google account somehow and I can't delete it. Google is no help... I've tried. Google has made my private life (I know... Foolish me) accessible. This was NOT Googles property until I created a Google account.

No, I am not a criminal or on anyone's watch list. Just a somewhat private person who got blindsided by Google's reach.
    01-30-14 12:51 PM
    I have security and privacy concerns also. I just returned to Blackberry after a short stint with Android for this reason. Google is much too invasive for me. Tin foil hat firmly in place... Lol.
    Indeed and the latest OS update forces location services to run in the background even when the user turns it off. Go ahead and check your app management tool. I'd like to know why this change occurred.

Sadly so many people are imbeciles who simply are unable to comprehend the many ways this information will be used against "normal people". Here's an example though, on the off chance it might get through to some:

Home for 6 hours after working over time all week? Great, your boss calls and tells you he knows you have "had enough sleep", because your phone has been idle in the same spot for 5 hours. Don't want to come in? Great, don't bother coming back at all - you have not been living up to your "metrics" anyway.

Sound implausible? Well combine that with a mandatory employment law where you can't quit or be fired, else you go to jail (in the name of fighting poverty and increased GDP, of course), then what are you going to do?

Endentured servitude is coming back. Clear as day for anyone who can see "the big picture"....

Magnificently composed using CB10 on my BB Z10!
    01-30-14 01:33 PM
    Yeah, what you search, post, browse, buy etc. It is all tracked. Google I would agree is the larger issue of privacy than the government's. You can get add ons for pc based web browsers that allows you to see the services running on web pages and pretty much every one you will visit there will be google analytics and Google services there. They can detect your IP address and link things together from your history. Its marketing and this is what makes Google the giant it is, everywhere you go Google pushes advertising to you. That's the reason I won't go with android, the apps and android ecosystem are just another arm of Google advertising.

The Internet and electronic communications for the consumer has never and likely will never be private or secure. Even the very first days of modem communication privacy/security was being violated. Unfortunately for some there is regrets of usage and there should be ways to deal with those situations.

Posted via CB10
    Revampd likes this.
    01-30-14 03:38 PM
    An interesting thread indeed
    02-03-14 12:59 PM
    Not another spying post please. At this rate we need a subforum for tin foil hat threads...Posted via CB10
    That sort of nonsense, would fool some awhile ago. If you remember the NSA domestic program didn't exist and was tinfoil . Now it is turned into ,
    but .. but.. its for your "safety".
    Of course I should believe that, we are never lied to right? The "official" story is always the truth.
    As was said about the Syrian gun running operation, other wise called Benghazi "what difference does it make"

I also love the "72 Types Of Americans That Are Considered Potential Terrorists” In official government documents , and the heavy militarization of the police (for our safety)

War is peace. Freedom is slavery. Ignorance is strength, and history repeats itself .
    But hey, carry on, nothing to see here!!
    After all, what did theses clowns know anyway ?
    "Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security.”
    Benjamin Franklin
    "It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."
    Samuel Adams
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."
    Patrick Henry
    "The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them."
    Patrick Henry
    “If you love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams
    Last edited by ccw9mm; 02-03-14 at 01:41 PM.
    02-03-14 01:25 PM