I convinced a friend to ditch her Galaxy S2 and get a Z10 instead. I just helped her set it up and I finally got to test bbm video and audio calling.

O. M. G

I literally could not believe how good the audio quality was. It was better than when I call her on my phone! I knew that BBRY was touting its so called Natural Sound technology. So I put her on speaker on my Z30, while on the BBM call, and my jaws literally dropped. It literally felt as if she was sitting in front of me. I honestly thought Natural Sound was a gimmick after watching the various ads and such. But man Blackberry hit this thing out of the park! I tried screen sharing too and it was so nice and fluid.

Funny thing is, BBM audio calling is MUCH better quality than those offered by Viber and Skype. I can't wait until BBM calling comes to the other platforms and that the quality translates well to iOS and Android.

I know everyone is aware of these things, but I just experienced it first hand, and it was amazing, to say the least. Also, my friend has taken to her Z10 so much she actually thanked me haha. Good times ahead for BlackBerry
    01-27-14 03:50 PM
    Now imagine if they could bring that quality to a desk top?

Posted via CB10
    Supa_Fly1 likes this.
    01-27-14 03:59 PM
    That's the same response I got from my wife....i got her the Q10 a couple of weeks ago and she could not believe the sound quality. she gets all her co-workers to call me just so she can show off the sound quality. Now she wants the leak I got in my Z30, but I told her it's coming out this week so just wait

From Z10 to Z30
    01-27-14 06:43 PM
    Yeah, it's really good. Blew me away the first time I heard it too

Posted from my 9900, z10, z30 or PlayBook
    01-27-14 06:49 PM
    Too bad not enough people have heard it. I still have people telling me BBM voice is unnecessary because "we already have Skype."

Skype still sounds like the day it launched and no better than early voip services like net2phone. I really hope people at least give BBM voice one try... that's all it's going to take.

I love this comparison clip:

Posted via CB10
    01-27-14 06:59 PM
    Now imagine if they could bring that quality to a desk top?

Posted via CB10
    I would ditch skype in a heartbeat.
    01-27-14 11:37 PM
    Nobody (I mean normal people) is ditching Skype unless BlackBerry puts out a desktop client and a Windows Phone application.
    01-28-14 12:18 AM
    Nobody (I mean normal people) is ditching Skype unless BlackBerry puts out a desktop client and a Windows Phone application.
    I was never a fan of Skype and I am most definitely not a fan of Skype now that it's part of MS. Most people I have need to video conference with all use Cisco NetMeeting and the quality is a close second to BBM.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-14 06:33 AM
    Here is my little experience this week regarding audio calls with BBM and Skype.
    I was in Jakarta (Indonesia) and my brother was in Paris (France).
    I have a Z10 OS 10.2.1 and he has a Sony Xperia Z OS 4.3 with BBM for Android. We both have Skype on our smartphones too and were on Wifi.
    The audio call with BBM was very bad, with lots of lagging and the audio output level was quite weak. We tried several times and it was the same.
    We then switched to Skype and the audio quality was pretty good, it sounded clear though the audio level output was weak too.
    So I wasn't very convinced about the quality of BBM calls. I haven't tried between 2 BlackBerry phones though but nevertheless BlackBerry must polish BBM for iOS and Android.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 02:30 PM
    I'd agree. Q10 to iPhone BBM quality has been robotic and tinny. Worst audio quality I've experienced, to be honest. Wifi and 4G full bars conversation.
    02-22-14 05:12 PM
    I'd agree. Q10 to iPhone BBM quality has been robotic and tinny. Worst audio quality I've experienced, to be honest. Wifi and 4G full bars conversation.
    Agree, some people seem to have different standards.

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 05:31 PM
    Why would it be so good between blackberry devices but not between other devices?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-14 07:33 PM
    I have made several Z30 to iPhone BBM calls all long distance to various countries with absolutely excellent audio quality.

They were all done with wifi, don't know if that makes a difference. Also all were iPhone 5.

Posted via CB10 on the great Z30
    02-22-14 07:49 PM
    Why would it be so good between blackberry devices but not between other devices?

Posted via CB10
    Choice of codes audio bandwidths quality and compression???!!

BlackBerry Q10 ? & Full Metal CB10!
    02-23-14 01:43 AM
    I did a z10 to nexus 5 bbm voice and it was very clear.

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 01:54 AM
    Retested a BBM audio call today between a BlackBerry Z30 in Aberdeen and a Sony Xperia Z in Paris. Both have the latest version of BBM that is available and both have good wifi connection. Of course, both also have latest OS.
    Chat is working fine.
    Call from Z30 to Xperia does not work : on the Sony side, never hear the ring.
    Call from Xperia to Z30 works, but quality is very average, not very clear and the call suddenly ends after 5 minutes.
    BBM is crap, BlackBerry is doomed for me because even what should work flawlessly aren't working correctly.
    On the other end, we ended up using Skype. Even if Skype for BlackBerry is just a poor Android port, though it may not be optimal, it does the job.
    So far I've been really disappointed in BBM. Could not recommend it at all outside the BB users.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 02:58 PM
    I've had Skype cut out on me so many times its pathetic for an that should work well by now. Everyone I know says the same.
    We have called from Z10 and Z30 to iPhone 4s, 5 and 5s, locally in South Africa and South Africa to England. Mixed wifi and mobile, quality far superior to Skype and Viber. So much so that my brother who hates BlackBerry was even impressed and telling people
    Z10 and Z30 to S4 worked flawlessly.

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    04-16-14 03:26 PM
    When my mother calls me from her Nokia Lumia 920, I get HD calls automatically which are quite clear. In fact, clearer than non-HD calls (obviously!)

But when I get a call from my sister using her Z10, the call quality is phenomenal. I get equally good call quality via BBM calls. However, BBM calls tend to drop after a few minutes. Hope that changes for the better soon.

Posted via CB10
    04-16-14 05:34 PM
    the best BBM call experience is of course, BB to BB particularly BB10 to BB10 running 10.2+ OS with this remarkable speech codec. BB10 to BB is ok as well, sometimes calls may cut out but that's because of the BB end not the BB10 end while to other platforms, yeah it's still a bit mixed.
    04-16-14 07:31 PM
    BBM calls between BB10 devices are obviously good, you have the Natural Sound.
    But that's not the majority, few people have a BB10 amongst my friends so that's why Blackberry should make BBM work correctly with all devices.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 02:27 AM
    Too bad its blocked here in the UAE where people still carry BlackBerries.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 04:36 AM
    On my Z10 with normal 4G the clarity is so good land-line users are amazed how quiet it is and have no clue they are on speaker. When my wife calls me On our Q10 it's mixed based on towers. It can be 2005 in quality or next room in clarity.

On BBM using Wi-Fi it is great most of the time depending on the strength of the network. It is crystal clear and spooky in its ability to project sound.

I am on VZW with the latest update

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-17-14 07:09 AM
    I ditched Skype without an adequate replacement. Its so bad someone needs to start from scrath.
    04-17-14 07:34 AM
    It seems I have become addicted to bbm audio, and regular phone call quality doesn't cut it anymore. Wish there was a way for BlackBerry to get the word out on how good it actually is. Hopefully the quality is still maintained for crossplatform calls.
    04-17-14 08:33 AM