Good morning,

This is my first post on these forums. After reading the news and a few posts during the last 5 months, I decided that today, I want to join in. Why? Blackberry itself. It is my understanding that the company was Lazaridis� baby, and that it was treated as such since the beginning. He is the responsible for Blackberry�s major successes and, as we know, its greatest failures. All being said and done, I think that the balance is positive (by a mile). As an engineering student, you just have to admire everything the man accomplished. He really loved is baby, no doubt about that.

Stupidity.

Having said that, here comes the problem: As of today, Blackberry isn�t Lazaridis� baby. As of today, Blackberry is a failure and has no place on this competitive mobile world. As of today, MOST blackberry buyers have no rational reason to go with the BB10 platform, besides good old memories. Every single new BB10 device brings nothing new to the market. So, why keeping with the current strategy? That�s stupid, right?

Ignorance.

A few days ago, I read a thread (can�t remember the name) where the poster complained about the complacency of the current user-base. He rightfully said that the z30 has 0 value for the current price, when compared to other handsets. However I was surprised by the level of ignorance showed by most users that responded to the original thread.

Let�s be clear:

You can�t say how good (or bad) a camera is by just looking at the number of megapixels;
    The iPhone and the Nokia Lumia 1020 have the best mobile cameras available, one is 8mp and the other 41. Megapixels represent a �small� percentage of what makes a mobile camera great, but the size of the sensor, the size of the pixels, speed, color reproduction and accuracy and the software for processing such pictures are vital. The iPhone kicks some serious *** in this department, and is seen as the best camera for the overall user. �Just� 8mp. Some even mentioned Josh from the Verge because he mocked the iPhone, but the truth is that he uses one, and the camera is a strong reason. Sony is a joke.

You can�t say how good (or bad) a screen is by just looking at the resolution;
    The galaxy s4 has a pentile screen, so the real pip isn�t 440, as most users believe. After doing the math, it comes closer to 320, right? Then the screen is AMOLED, and that means that it has awesome black levels but very low brightness (you can�t read comfortably on it during daylight), poor whites and poor color reproduction, since every single S4 on exhibition has the maximum saturation available, to �wow� ignorant users (�So much color!�). Basically, they don�t care/know how wrong those colors are.

Like it or not, the iPhone, the G2 and the HTC one have the best screens, all things considered. Personally, I think that the iPhone screen is too small, but you have to agree when someone says that since every app is designed for it, the experience can be excellent.

You can�t say how fast (or slow) a phone is by the number of cores;
    Best processors available? A7, S800 and exynos octa, on that order. In fact, the exynos makes so much compromises that samsung has to use the s800 on most high end S4 and Note 3. Pathetic, right? ARM, the company responsible for the basic architecture for every chip manufacturer, was co-founded by Apple. Yes, Apple is responsible for that, too.

Also, keep in mind that the iPhone is by far the fastest and most efficient mobile device, and since most Android high end devices use the same SOC, the difference is on software optimization.

The �cheap� Nexus is most likely the fastest Android device, with the less �muscular� but super efficient Moto X a close second. Samsung phones are a disgrace, thanks to their software (I own one).

You can�t say how advanced (or not) a phone is by just looking at screen size;
    This is just idiotic.

You can�t say how good the battery life is by just looking at the capacity numbers.
    Again, optimization. The iPhone has a 1500 mah battery, the note a 3500 or close to it. The iPhone has better battery life when browsing with 4g, for example (anandtech). Awesome for Apple, or pathetic for samsung?

Hope.

What is my goal with all of this?

First of all, a decent discussion. Most users here do not want a fast phone, they want a quad core. Most users here do not want a great screen, they want a full hd screen. Most users here do not want great battery life, they want a big battery. I believe that these people should be ignored.

Apple is getting ready to show the numbers of the best quarter ever, by any public company. Most likely, they sold close to 60 million iPhones, 30 million iPads, 5 to 6 million Macs, 10 million iPods. Revenue from the ecosystem must have been huge. We will see 60.000.000.000+ $ in revenue, 12 to 15.000.000.000$ of net profit. Blackberry will never be like this. But they don�t have to, right? Don�t get me wrong, I do not want Blackberry to copy the iPhone, I want Blackberry to copy the Apple M.O.
    They make their own OS, services, core software, pro apps, they design their own SOC, they are responsible for huge investments on companies like Samsung and Foxconn and develop some fantastic methods (most of them patented, like the new iMac�s screen) to build their devices, not to mention billion dollar deals in advance, to bring the bill of materials down. So they price the phone as they want, and make great margins.
    On the other hand, Samsung makes a slower phone, with worse build quality, they buy Qualcomm�s SOC, they do not make their own OS, they use inferior screens and price their phones on the same category. - Worse margins, but overpriced phone.

All things considered, it�s awesome how cheap the iPhone is.

So, I believe that blackberry should forget the Z line, and focus on doing what they do best: A great qwerty device. Make just 2 models a year (one high end and a low end, for the masses), support them, market them. Make people remember how great texting and chatting and email is on a blackberry device. Capture that market. Be creative and different. Create a fantastic ecosystem around that and slowly, but surely, grow. Before making an iPhone-like or Android-like device, you need a similar ecosystem, otherwise its suicide (and that�s what is happening). Stop selling BB7. It took Apple 10 years to have the right tools, Google was quick to take advantage of the OEM fear, but it took them years.

What blackberry is doing is the equivalent of Apple going head to head against Microsoft in 97, instead of taking their time, focus on their strengths and grow. Since they are the most valuable and lucrative company in the world (and going up on profits), they must be doing something right.

I think a colorful qwerty device with awesomemulti plataform built in services would be great.

Pedro, Mechanical Engineering student.
    Proud owner of a Macbook Air, not so proud owner of a galaxy s3 mini (rooted, custom rom to avoid touchwiz. Bought it on vodafone, brand new, for less than 150� (clube viva), cheapest dual core and 1gb ram I could find).
    01-26-14 09:25 AM
    Chen is the first "outsider" to be in charge. He's building a new strategy. One that is not overly focused on selling hardware as I understand it.

As for the focus on qwerty, that is precisely what they've said they'll try to do. Premium qwerty devices sold to the enterprise (right?).

Everyone has an opinion but it seems to me BlackBerry's days of "copying" the mainstream smartphones are over, at least in the US and other "premium" markets. Though never say never because BlackBerry has a habit of contradicting itself.
    01-26-14 09:49 AM
    The z line its better and also have more support from developers , as a result z line have more apps than the Q the digital keyboard its the best. The gestures in the screen make typing experience new and handy i come from 9000 - 9900 and i cant go back .. the Z its better..
    So what you hope.. i hope they dont even consider ...
    About the rest of your post, its interesting..

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 09:52 AM
    I think I would jump ship if the only devices were qwerty with small screens. I use my phone for everything and a small screen and hard keyboard will not meet my needs. I love this z30 touch keyboard. Keep up with creating the best typing experience ever...that should be the focus. That is a feature you can market to all users on all platforms. The best typing experience ever which includes voice to text. Keep it moving!

From my new z30
    01-26-14 10:07 AM
    The post is neutral. It does favour Apple, but it is easily justified. You pointed out all the points that frustrate me endlessly. Try not to bash those other companies too hard, it all comes down to profit doesn't it? The doors of perception and logic is enrobed in a visage of greed and power.
    cman5 likes this.
    01-26-14 10:11 AM
    I think I would jump ship if the only devices were qwerty with small screens. I use my phone for everything and a small screen and hard keyboard will not meet my needs. I love this z30 touch keyboard. Keep up with creating the best typing experience ever...that should be the focus. That is a feature you can market to all users on all platforms. The best typing experience ever which includes voice to text. Keep it moving!

From my new z30
    What I think would be interesting is if BlackBerry took a hint from the "Typo" keyboard and built an all touch device that had a slide on accessory physical qwerty keyboard. Make the all touch device very thin, like the Z10 -- and sell a keyboard-thin case. Larger screen, and an optional physical keyboard. Don't want the physical KB? Don't buy the accessory.
    01-26-14 10:11 AM
    First... thanks to the OP for a well thought out post.... As with any point of view... some I agree with some I do not... which is the point...... Too many posters take an opinnion and state it as fact... this is where flaiming starts... The only issue I would comment is the "ignorance" stance.... we many times mistake ignorance as difference of opinnion.... if the poster attacks the poster ( name calling ) ...I call that ignorance... if I simply disagree... maybe even strongly... am I really ignorant or simply opiniated..... fine line to cross... I am to the point of not commenting on the "critique pieces"... probably why it coming on year since I hit 1000 post and still have not hit 1500.... one of the reasons I like this site is it is well moderated... and trolls are at a minimum... remenber... best not matter what in life is a personal opinnion at best....
    sickyute and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    01-26-14 10:32 AM
    What I think would be interesting is if BlackBerry took a hint from the "Typo" keyboard and built an all touch device that had a slide on accessory physical qwerty keyboard. Make the all touch device very thin, like the Z10 -- and sell a keyboard-thin case. Larger screen, and an optional physical keyboard. Don't want the physical KB? Don't buy the accessory.
    This is why they need a bb10 slider...

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 10:38 AM
    BlackBerry just needs to find a way to make the masses believe, this is the phone you "need" which ever type of device it is. The masses make you money.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 10:49 AM
    So you think only qwerty devices will bring them back with consumers? Good luck with that.
    01-26-14 10:51 AM
    This is why they need a bb10 slider...

Posted via CB10
    Yeah, I don't know. Those are such an oddball nowadays. And then you have the failures in the slider mechanisms and the eventual "wobble" in the slider. I'd favor the slide-on case KB myself. If the unit gets too banged up and has issues, you just buy another KB.
    serbanescu likes this.
    01-26-14 10:58 AM
    Good morning,

This is my first post on these forums. After reading the news and a few posts during the last 5 months, I decided that today, I want to join in.
    Welcome!

Stupidity.

Having said that, here comes the problem: As of today, Blackberry isn’t Lazaridis’ baby. As of today, Blackberry is a failure and has no place on this competitive mobile world. As of today, MOST blackberry buyers have no rational reason to go with the BB10 platform, besides good old memories. Every single new BB10 device brings nothing new to the market. So, why keeping with the current strategy? That’s stupid, right?
    I wouldn't say BB buyers aren't rational in their purchasing decisions. Sure, there is a loyal user base that tends to be more emotional in their purchases, but this isn't much different than the loyal Apple fans. Apple is known for ease of use and design, so if those are valuable traits to you, you'll be more inclined to stick with Apple because you trust that Apple puts significant effort into ease of use and design into all its products. Same goes for BBRY and the reputation it has for communication, email, security, etc.

But, I get your point. While BB10 does have some nice features and might edge out competitors in some areas, in the big picture, the features are evolutionary vs. revolutionary and the benefits, arguably, are marginal. From a competitive landscape perspective, BB10 is just a different slant at tackling existing problems; it doesn't solve any new problems that we might not know we even have yet.

Didn't Lazaridis agree, though? I remember a story that said he opposed the company's plan to lead with the all-touch Z10, calling it undifferentiated in the market vs. the QWERTY-bar design. Remember, there were two CEOs, so not every decision BBRY made was necessarily endorsed by Lazaridis. I think that's part of the problem, though; because there was not a singular vision, the company strategy likely involved compromise, which can mean it wasn't wholly committed to any one direction.

You can’t say how fast (or slow) a phone is by the number of cores;
    Best processors available? A7, S800 and exynos octa, on that order. In fact, the exynos makes so much compromises that samsung has to use the s800 on most high end S4 and Note 3. Pathetic, right? ARM, the company responsible for the basic architecture for every chip manufacturer, was co-founded by Apple. Yes, Apple is responsible for that, too.
    ARM is a specification for RISC processors, which Apple was, somewhat irrationally, committed to for a long time. RISC by and large lost the battle for the PC, which is why Apple ultimately switched to Intel CISC chips. RISC designs were less compelling in the desktop era, where physical space and power were not constraints for PCs. Ironically, the mobile computing era has vindicated Apple's commitment to RISC; as devices started shrinking, the advantages of the RISC architecture became apparent. This is an oversimplification, but basically, RISC chips don't have to work as hard; they may actually have to cycle more instructions, but these are smaller, more bite-sized instructions, which means it cycles them quickly. If the chip doesn't have to work as hard, it means it draws less power. It also means that the chip can be shrunken down or placed in smaller form-factors without heat becoming as much of an issue. Producing less heat also means drawing less power. This is why Intel, given its overwhelming commitment to CISC, struggled to produce a mobile chipset that could rival ARM designs in terms of the performance-to-battery-life ratio.

Apple is getting ready to show the numbers of the best quarter ever, by any public company. Most likely, they sold close to 60 million iPhones, 30 million iPads, 5 to 6 million Macs, 10 million iPods. Revenue from the ecosystem must have been huge. We will see 60.000.000.000+ $ in revenue, 12 to 15.000.000.000$ of net profit. Blackberry will never be like this. But they don’t have to, right? Don’t get me wrong, I do not want Blackberry to copy the iPhone, I want Blackberry to copy the Apple M.O.
    They make their own OS, services, core software, pro apps, they design their own SOC, they are responsible for huge investments on companies like Samsung and Foxconn and develop some fantastic methods (most of them patented, like the new iMac’s screen) to build their devices, not to mention billion dollar deals in advance, to bring the bill of materials down. So they price the phone as they want, and make great margins.
    On the other hand, Samsung makes a slower phone, with worse build quality, they buy Qualcomm’s SOC, they do not make their own OS, they use inferior screens and price their phones on the same category. - Worse margins, but overpriced phone.

All things considered, it’s awesome how cheap the iPhone is.

So, I believe that blackberry should forget the Z line, and focus on doing what they do best: A great qwerty device. Make just 2 models a year (one high end and a low end, for the masses), support them, market them. Make people remember how great texting and chatting and email is on a blackberry device. Capture that market. Be creative and different. Create a fantastic ecosystem around that and slowly, but surely, grow. Before making an iPhone-like or Android-like device, you need a similar ecosystem, otherwise its suicide (and that’s what is happening). Stop selling BB7. It took Apple 10 years to have the right tools, Google was quick to take advantage of the OEM fear, but it took them years.

What blackberry is doing is the equivalent of Apple going head to head against Microsoft in 97, instead of taking their time, focus on their strengths and grow. Since they are the most valuable and lucrative company in the world (and going up on profits), they must be doing something right.

I think a colorful qwerty device with awesomemulti plataform built in services would be great.

Proud owner of a Macbook Air, not so proud owner of a galaxy s3 mini (rooted, custom rom to avoid touchwiz. Bought it on vodafone, brand new, for less than 150€ (clube viva), cheapest dual core and 1gb ram I could find).
    It's still early, but it seems like Chen is taking this approach, at least in some areas. The Western market strategy should be to focus on building the best--by far--devices and services for heavily regulated or security-conscious organizations. The emerging market strategy should be to produce the best devices and services where customers are more price-sensitive and where network efficiency is valued.

Somewhat overarching all of this is BlackBerry's QWERTY expertise and differentiation. Considering how good the predictive text engines of virtual keyboards have gotten, the advantage of the physical keyboard isn't really speed. Rather, it's accuracy and ergonomics. If you're sending important communications or a high-volume of written communications, the physical keyboard + trackpad combo is less fatiguing and provides better accuracy overall. It just so happens that many individuals who value these traits also work in highly regulated or secure industries.
    01-26-14 10:59 AM
    I am with you in the 2-3 qwerty keyboards phones but with bigger screens and some more interesting specs (at least +4inch screen or more, stop making a big deal of pocketability)

Posted via my Q10/Playbook/Curve
    01-26-14 12:04 PM
    There is no perfect smartphone. It's all about compromises. Kind of like cameras. There are also emotions involved in the buying decision. Smartphones are very "personal." One spends all day with it. Never has there been another piece of tech in the history of humanity that has commanded our attention in such a profound way. The OP has completely ignored both these points about smartphones.

Why did I buy a Blackberry z10 and then a q10 ? Well two reasons : firstly for the great keyboard experience - virtual and physical and secondly because I am attached to the blackberry brand and name and all that blackberry stood for and will stand for down the road.

As for missing apps, well I have just side loaded one - Tumblr. Not much of an app person anyway. Email SMS, Bbm, and calls are really all I do on a smartphone. Oh and I read news articles on the bb10 browser.

As for specs, I don't really care. As long as there is no lag, i'm fine with whatever the specs are.

So in the end, is my decision to buy a blackberry device based on stupidity, ignorance and hope? Maybe for the OP it is. But if he thinks that he is right let me remind him what Fr�d�ric Nietzsche wrote : "What are man's truths ultimately? Merely his irrefutable errors."
    ALToronto, SDTRMG and acovey like this.
    01-26-14 12:17 PM
    More native app support= more usability
    More usability = more sales

Continue to produce qwerty and touch devices. (the modern day user would probably buy both)

No other platform gives the consumer the choice.

BB4EVA
    01-26-14 12:39 PM
    What a jackass you are! So basically you sum up people who use a Z30 ( which has consistently high user reviews close to 5.0 on a consistent basis as "stupid, ignorant , and hopeless! sure! An other day and other troll LOL Have you actually used any type of Blackberry device in order to have come up with an informed opinion. have you read the report from "Citron" that outlined how Blackberry is now in the process of correcting their past mistakes, and is no longer relying on handsets alone. Also have you tried thew Z30 even a demo, and did you know that, going forward Blackberry will be concentrating on Software services, and handsets will be taken over by other manufactures. Also as an engineer I'm sure you are aware of IOS being 10 years out of date. Lets see if you have the integrity to reply to any of the posts you recieve. I'm sure you won't because your just a troll!
    xBURK, shupor, Tim Heard and 5 others like this.
    01-26-14 12:42 PM
    Wow the forum is filled with those topics

Where is the problem?
    If anyone want to buy an iPhone, it's okay. Android, Firefox OS... if the user like, should buy.

And why I have to feel bad about my BlackBerry?
    BlackBerry users bought BlackBerryZ because how it works, and it's the device they want to use @.@

Wenn du mir sagst, was dort drau�en richtig ist, werde ich nicht mehr versuchen dich zu k�ssen... (Sayumi Whisp) www.sayumi.de
    Blacklatino, fanatical and wincyUt like this.
    01-26-14 01:08 PM
    My opinion for OP is to get a Z30 or even a Z10 to use before revisiting your first post! How can you say other people ignorant when you are not familiar of what BlackBerry 10 offers. Try a little bit to open your mind.

Posted via CB10
    Good morning,

This is my first post on these forums. After reading the news and a few posts during the last 5 months, I decided that today, I want to join in. Why? Blackberry itself. It is my understanding that the company was Lazaridis� baby, and that it was treated as such since the beginning. He is the responsible for Blackberry�s major successes and, as we know, its greatest failures. All being said and done, I think that the balance is positive (by a mile). As an engineering student, you just have to admire everything the man accomplished. He really loved is baby, no doubt about that.

Stupidity.

Having said that, here comes the problem: As of today, Blackberry isn�t Lazaridis� baby. As of today, Blackberry is a failure and has no place on this competitive mobile world. As of today, MOST blackberry buyers have no rational reason to go with the BB10 platform, besides good old memories. Every single new BB10 device brings nothing new to the market. So, why keeping with the current strategy? That�s stupid, right?

Ignorance.

A few days ago, I read a thread (can�t remember the name) where the poster complained about the complacency of the current user-base. He rightfully said that the z30 has 0 value for the current price, when compared to other handsets. However I was surprised by the level of ignorance showed by most users that responded to the original thread.

Let�s be clear:

You can�t say how good (or bad) a camera is by just looking at the number of megapixels;
    The iPhone and the Nokia Lumia 1020 have the best mobile cameras available, one is 8mp and the other 41. Megapixels represent a �small� percentage of what makes a mobile camera great, but the size of the sensor, the size of the pixels, speed, color reproduction and accuracy and the software for processing such pictures are vital. The iPhone kicks some serious *** in this department, and is seen as the best camera for the overall user. �Just� 8mp. Some even mentioned Josh from the Verge because he mocked the iPhone, but the truth is that he uses one, and the camera is a strong reason. Sony is a joke.

You can�t say how good (or bad) a screen is by just looking at the resolution;
    The galaxy s4 has a pentile screen, so the real pip isn�t 440, as most users believe. After doing the math, it comes closer to 320, right? Then the screen is AMOLED, and that means that it has awesome black levels but very low brightness (you can�t read comfortably on it during daylight), poor whites and poor color reproduction, since every single S4 on exhibition has the maximum saturation available, to �wow� ignorant users (�So much color!�). Basically, they don�t care/know how wrong those colors are.

Like it or not, the iPhone, the G2 and the HTC one have the best screens, all things considered. Personally, I think that the iPhone screen is too small, but you have to agree when someone says that since every app is designed for it, the experience can be excellent.

You can�t say how fast (or slow) a phone is by the number of cores;

Also, keep in mind that the iPhone is by far the fastest and most efficient mobile device, and since most Android high end devices use the same SOC, the difference is on software optimization.

The �cheap� Nexus is most likely the fastest Android device, with the less �muscular� but super efficient Moto X a close second. Samsung phones are a disgrace, thanks to their software (I own one).

You can�t say how advanced (or not) a phone is by just looking at screen size;
    This is just idiotic.

You can�t say how good the battery life is by just looking at the capacity numbers.
    Again, optimization. The iPhone has a 1500 mah battery, the note a 3500 or close to it. The iPhone has better battery life when browsing with 4g, for example (anandtech). Awesome for Apple, or pathetic for samsung?

Hope.

What is my goal with all of this?

First of all, a decent discussion. Most users here do not want a fast phone, they want a quad core. Most users here do not want a great screen, they want a full hd screen. Most users here do not want great battery life, they want a big battery. I believe that these people should be ignored.

Apple is getting ready to show the numbers of the best quarter ever, by any public company. Most likely, they sold close to 60 million iPhones, 30 million iPads, 5 to 6 million Macs, 10 million iPods. Revenue from the ecosystem must have been huge. We will see 60.000.000.000+ $ in revenue, 12 to 15.000.000.000$ of net profit. Blackberry will never be like this. But they don�t have to, right? Don�t get me wrong, I do not want Blackberry to copy the iPhone, I want Blackberry to copy the Apple M.O.
    They make their own OS, services, core software, pro apps, they design their own SOC, they are responsible for huge investments on companies like Samsung and Foxconn and develop some fantastic methods (most of them patented, like the new iMac�s screen) to build their devices, not to mention billion dollar deals in advance, to bring the bill of materials down. So they price the phone as they want, and make great margins.
    On the other hand, Samsung makes a slower phone, with worse build quality, they buy Qualcomm�s SOC, they do not make their own OS, they use inferior screens and price their phones on the same category. - Worse margins, but overpriced phone.

All things considered, it�s awesome how cheap the iPhone is.

So, I believe that blackberry should forget the Z line, and focus on doing what they do best: A great qwerty device. Make just 2 models a year (one high end and a low end, for the masses), support them, market them. Make people remember how great texting and chatting and email is on a blackberry device. Capture that market. Be creative and different. Create a fantastic ecosystem around that and slowly, but surely, grow. Before making an iPhone-like or Android-like device, you need a similar ecosystem, otherwise its suicide (and that�s what is happening). Stop selling BB7. It took Apple 10 years to have the right tools, Google was quick to take advantage of the OEM fear, but it took them years.

Proud owner of a Macbook Air, not so proud owner of a galaxy s3 mini (rooted, custom rom to avoid touchwiz. Bought it on vodafone, brand new, for less than 150� (clube viva), cheapest dual core and 1gb ram I could find).
    I think voice technology might replace keyboards in the future. I would not necessarily rule out full touch. The problem is they are taking too much time making a hybrid version of Android.

Innovation exists
    anand_ma likes this.
    Chen is the first "outsider" to be in charge. He's building a new strategy. One that is not overly focused on selling hardware as I understand it.

As for the focus on qwerty, that is precisely what they've said they'll try to do. Premium qwerty devices sold to the enterprise (right?).

Everyone has an opinion but it seems to me BlackBerry's days of "copying" the mainstream smartphones are over, at least in the US and other "premium" markets. Though never say never because BlackBerry has a habit of contradicting itself.
    Chen is following the old strategy. It is not like he created something new. I hope his execution of the strategy better. (details)
    Blackberry 10 had lukewarm reception by reviewers because it needed to be improved.
    01-26-14 01:11 PM
    Thanks for the great replies.

To answer some of you, my post wasn’t about what phone was better (Z vs Q). Instead, my point was: what device is better for Blackberry (as a company, now) and what device brings something of value to the current market.

While on a boxing match the Z line has everything to beat the QWERTY models, they end up being too similar to the iPhone and few Android devices. Let’s be honest, as devices, the Z line have nothing against the power of Apple’s (or Google’s) ecosystem (that started in 97 and changed the world of computing, saved the music industry, provides the tools for every use, etc.), or their talent when designing SOC (that sooner or later will be used to kick Intel’s *** on the laptop market), efficiency, etc.

So, while the z10/z30 are better as devices, they have 0 reasons to “steal” regular costumers, while the QWERTY line has at least a very strong value proposition that only Blackberry dominates. Putting all their eggs on the “Z line” basket is giving up on staying truly 100% Blackberry.

If Blackberry goes after market share, they will die or become just another nameless Android OEM (as good as dead, these days.), so they should focus on their core strength (BBM, Keyboard, data compression), and grow by creating reasons for their users to use their ecosystem, etc. After that, they should attack the market.

Resources are scarce, and as such they should be used wisely and the chosen direction must have the whole support of everyone involved. But again, I think that almost everyone is missing the point: Why just the “phone”? Why not do something calculated but exciting like bringing their core strengths to other areas? It would surely pay off.

Computers.

Again, let’s use the most successful company as an example: They started by making computers, they dominated by making great devices. Those devices, made their computer better. Today, they sell record quantities and have record profits on both. If you do the math, you will realize something funny:

Everyone says that Apple lost the PC war. Fact? They make more money from their PCs than the top5 OEMs… Combined. They dominate the high end market. They sold less than 5 million Macs during 2007 (the whole year. iPhone debut.). This quarter alone, they will sell more than that. That’s an awesome way of losing.

Start with a Windows laptop (i3 Haswell ULV, 128 gb SSD, thin and light, great screen. 14”) and differentiate it with always on 4G (with data compression), the best possible email client designed by Blackberry, BBM integration, the best possible keyboard and the necessary well designed software to sync between devices. I bought my Macbook Air in 2011, do you know how much it takes to install a new OSX version? 2 or 3 clicks. There’s no need to format partitions, search for drivers, deal with errors, etc. My point? Convenience. People are willing to pay more for convenience than for a spec sheet. Convenience can make a great product.

If ****ty irrelevant companies that never innovated or did something newsworthy (Like Dell, etc.) can make a living from “me too” PCs (difficult, these days.), why not Blackberry?

Accessories.

Why not selling great keyboard accessories? The typo (what is the twisted logic behind naming a keyboard “typo”?) keyboard is proof that people want and are willing to pay for that “bit” of Blackberry. Make one that would bring some cash and more importantly, it will remember people what they are trading off for the Instagrams of this world.

Website and retail presence.

A few months ago, my xperia x10 mini pro died. I was searching for a phone, and I saw this: Samsung phones and generic carrier models are pushed very hard, the others are not. Why? Bloatware. Blackberry phones must be “clean”.

First of all, Blackberry won’t be able to wrestle $ams$ung marketing power, so Galaxy devices will always be pushed. As a result, they should do what Apple did (again):

Create a great and clean website (the current one is a mess, Blackberry) where I can conveniently purchase your devices, focus on support and retail presence with people capable to tell everyone why they should buy blackberries.

—————

I see these 3 initiatives as more important and meaningful than the current Z line. This has the potential to “clean” the blackberry name. Make no mistake: it’s the name, and everything associated with it, that can save Blackberry.
    cman5 likes this.
    01-26-14 01:32 PM
    OP have you used any of these devices you are critiquing--as in used for an extended period of time?
    01-26-14 01:34 PM
    Just another Apple cool aid inebriate.

Moving on.
    01-26-14 01:35 PM
    Chen is following the old strategy. It is not like he created something new. I hope his execution of the strategy better. (details)
    Blackberry 10 had lukewarm reception by reviewers because it needed to be improved.
    I didn't say he had moved them to a new course. I said "building". Of course in the short term he is staying the course.

If you look at his history with Sybase, he was successful at doing something similar to what BlackBerry needs to do. That being identifying an unserved market need that matches the company's competence. Then lead into it.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    01-26-14 01:52 PM
    Thanks for the great replies.

To answer some of you, my post wasn’t about what phone was better (Z vs Q). Instead, my point was: what device is better for Blackberry (as a company, now) and what device brings something of value to the current market.

While on a boxing match the Z line has everything to beat the QWERTY models, they end up being too similar to the iPhone and few Android devices. Let’s be honest, as devices, the Z line have nothing against the power of Apple’s (or Google’s) ecosystem (that started in 97 and changed the world of computing, saved the music industry, provides the tools for every use, etc.), or their talent when designing SOC (that sooner or later will be used to kick Intel’s *** on the laptop market), efficiency, etc.

So, while the z10/z30 are better as devices, they have 0 reasons to “steal” regular costumers, while the QWERTY line has at least a very strong value proposition that only Blackberry dominates. Putting all their eggs on the “Z line” basket is giving up on staying truly 100% Blackberry.

If Blackberry goes after market share, they will die or become just another nameless Android OEM (as good as dead, these days.), so they should focus on their core strength (BBM, Keyboard, data compression), and grow by creating reasons for their users to use their ecosystem, etc. After that, they should attack the market.

Resources are scarce, and as such they should be used wisely and the chosen direction must have the whole support of everyone involved. But again, I think that almost everyone is missing the point: Why just the “phone”? Why not do something calculated but exciting like bringing their core strengths to other areas? It would surely pay off.

Computers.

Again, let’s use the most successful company as an example: They started by making computers, they dominated by making great devices. Those devices, made their computer better. Today, they sell record quantities and have record profits on both. If you do the math, you will realize something funny:

Everyone says that Apple lost the PC war. Fact? They make more money from their PCs than the top5 OEMs… Combined. They dominate the high end market. They sold less than 5 million Macs during 2007 (the whole year. iPhone debut.). This quarter alone, they will sell more than that. That’s an awesome way of losing.

Start with a Windows laptop (i3 Haswell ULV, 128 gb SSD, thin and light, great screen. 14”) and differentiate it with always on 4G (with data compression), the best possible email client designed by Blackberry, BBM integration, the best possible keyboard and the necessary well designed software to sync between devices. I bought my Macbook Air in 2011, do you know how much it takes to install a new OSX version? 2 or 3 clicks. There’s no need to format partitions, search for drivers, deal with errors, etc. My point? Convenience. People are willing to pay more for convenience than for a spec sheet. Convenience can make a great product.

If ****ty irrelevant companies that never innovated or did something newsworthy (Like Dell, etc.) can make a living from “me too” PCs (difficult, these days.), why not Blackberry?

Accessories.

Why not selling great keyboard accessories? The typo (what is the twisted logic behind naming a keyboard “typo”?) keyboard is proof that people want and are willing to pay for that “bit” of Blackberry. Make one that would bring some cash and more importantly, it will remember people what they are trading off for the Instagrams of this world.

Website and retail presence.

A few months ago, my xperia x10 mini pro died. I was searching for a phone, and I saw this: Samsung phones and generic carrier models are pushed very hard, the others are not. Why? Bloatware. Blackberry phones must be “clean”.

First of all, Blackberry won’t be able to wrestle $ams$ung marketing power, so Galaxy devices will always be pushed. As a result, they should do what Apple did (again):

Create a great and clean website (the current one is a mess, Blackberry) where I can conveniently purchase your devices, focus on support and retail presence with people capable to tell everyone why they should buy blackberries.

—————

I see these 3 initiatives as more important and meaningful than the current Z line. This has the potential to “clean” the blackberry name. Make no mistake: it’s the name, and everything associated with it, that can save Blackberry.
    Good point on the profits
    01-26-14 02:08 PM
97 123 ...