I'm honestly surprised at the lack of leaks relating to upcoming BlackBerry handsets.

The Z10 and Z30 both had the rumour mills going with whispers of specs and design running crazy before pictures started to leak - many months before launch.

But here we are in 2014 with a low end and high end device promised, yet there's virtually not a sound in the forums. No one seems to know much about any future device. The low end device is an unknown in terms of design, specs or release. The high end device is even more of a mystery. People don't even know if it's going to be a QWERTY, a slider or a full touch. Not a hint of a design detail - not one blurrycam image, not one description of the device.

I can only assume that one of the following is correct:

BlackBerry don't have anything to show yet. (possible, but unlikely)
    BlackBerry have been very good at keeping developments a secret (maybe possible), or
    Those in the know are not wanting to leak such information (also possible).

Curious to know what people think?
    01-26-14 07:44 AM
    I'm honestly surprised at the lack of leaks relating to upcoming BlackBerry handsets.

The Z10 and Z30 both had the rumour mills going with whispers of specs and design running crazy before pictures started to leak - many months before launch.

But here we are in 2014 with a low end and high end device promised, yet there's virtually not a sound in the forums. No one seems to know much about any future device. The low end device is an unknown in terms of design, specs or release. The high end device is even more of a mystery. People don't even know if it's going to be a QWERTY, a slider or a full touch. Not a hint of a design detail - not one blurrycam image, not one description of the device.

I can only assume that one of the following is correct:

BlackBerry don't have anything to show yet. (possible, but unlikely)
    BlackBerry have been very good at keeping developments a secret (maybe possible), or
    Those in the know are not wanting to leak such information (also possible).

Curious to know what people think?
    Well Blackberry laid of over half of their employees, not many people able to leak this info… and btw there is a different regime in power, maybe they dropped the hammer and cut all of that off… Maybe people just don't care like they once did.. Maybe blackberry doesn't have plans for a new phone just yet.. Who knows, I think right now its smart for blackberry to play things close to the chest, I also think its smart if they chill on the phones for a while since you know, there are 3 new models that aint sold too well…. lets try to get those going first!!!!!
    01-26-14 08:46 AM
    I think they are going to wait to see what the samsung s5 and iphone phones are going to come out with. Or rumors of what to have and once those come, we will see some information. Everything blackberry has come out with was either on par or year behind. This has to stop.
    Creaulx likes this.
    01-26-14 08:57 AM
    I think it because as Bla1ze mentioned, their were devices that were planned that were scrapped based on the poor BB10 launch, and devices that weren't planned like the Jakarta that have been accelerated. Chen is keeping what he sees as promising plans, and axing the bad ones. BlackBerry is in yet another transition. It is possible that we won't see a new all touch Flagship BlackBerry this year, or maybe they are redesigning some things they planned. Maybe when we see what the Jakarta is and if any changes are done over the existing Bb10 devices (new or different buttons compared to the Z10 and 30). Maybe MWC will give us a better idea of where Chen is steering BlackBerry towards.

Posted via CB10
    app_Developer likes this.
    01-26-14 09:24 AM
    I hope that BlackBerry match or exceed the specs of the competition with their next high end device.

I know my Z10 with BlackBerry 10 works just great with only a 1.5Ghz dual core processor but I'd like to see a device with a top of the line CPU and GPU.

I don't think that the Jakarta needs much more performance than what the Z10 gives, save for the battery. I'd like to see Jakarta using a minimum of a 2200mAh battery.
    wafiwanders likes this.
    01-26-14 10:06 AM
    I think once the new management took over their top priority was to stop the billion dollar write-downs on hardware. Stop, analyze where things are heading, and come up with a new plan. And yes they apparently scrapped some models that would have inevitably sold in miniscule numbers.
    01-26-14 10:16 AM
    Maybe.. Finally.. Blackberry is attempting to stop leaks of newer devices (not software imo). I believe it hurts sales and causes new and old users to "wait" for the next awesome/better/bigger than to get what there is to offer currently. The leaks about the Q10 made me skip the Z10. I'm grateful for that I just like it too much.
    01-26-14 10:39 AM
    Maybe.. Finally.. Blackberry is attempting to stop leaks of newer devices (not software imo). I believe it hurts sales and causes new and old users to "wait" for the next awesome/better/bigger than to get what there is to offer currently. The leaks about the Q10 made me skip the Z10. I'm grateful for that I just like it too much.
    If so that would be quite the change in culture. It would be helpful to them so long as the final product is announced with a firm availability date and ships "finished".
    01-26-14 11:02 AM
    I believe the lack of inside information is by design, as much as we all would like to know what is coming next, it is better for BlackBerry that we don't know.

Also, I believe the new leader is making big changes in priority, which means some projects were halted, as we know, and those resources applied to priority projects.

What I hope is that the high end device(s) are more evolutionary in design rather than evolutionary, and that a new OS accompanies the new device. I believe the Jakarta will be a home run, I always felt the less expensive device needed to be a all touch that caters to the younger generation, get them hooked when they're young approach.

Z30 on 2.2.1.1925 in Canada
    01-26-14 07:00 PM
    What i think is that maybe the phones that were planned werent good enough for that new guy from HTC (sims?). So he might have some input on the devices going forward, meaning that the devices might be slightly changed or even scrapped.

Black cards, Black cars - all BlackBerry-thing!
    01-27-14 03:58 AM
    I left for the main reason of specs and apps, do I like my present device no. I would like to come back to Blackberry, as some had said previous post Blackberry need to do more than just put out another device. I am hopping Blackberry has learned from there mistakes and start putting out some devices hardware that is ahead of the rest and I will be right back on board.
    01-27-14 04:45 AM
    I think Mr Chen has put his foot down and said no more leaks - period.

I also think there will be more emphasis on releasing great software on mediocre hardware - hey it's worked for apple.

So i'm expecting the Z30 to stay as BBRY flagship until 2015 but that BB10 development/ploishing will accelerate during this year.
    01-27-14 05:01 AM
    I left for the main reason of specs and apps, do I like my present device no. I would like to come back to Blackberry, as some had said previous post Blackberry need to do more than just put out another device. I am hopping Blackberry has learned from there mistakes and start putting out some devices hardware that is ahead of the rest and I will be right back on board.
    Try the Z30, give it a test drive, regardless of specs, which are very good but have been disputed, won't get into that, this thing performs amazingly, it may surprise you how good of a device it is.

jskerutis likes this.
    01-27-14 05:04 AM
    Why build any new devices? They can't even successfully market what they've got.

Truth is, a year later, most of the world doesn?t even know BlackBerry builds a current full touch screen.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-27-14 05:16 AM
    Why build any new devices? They can't even successfully market what they've got.

Truth is, a year later, most of the world doesn?t even know BlackBerry builds a current full touch screen.

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Unless you have some data regarding the world's knowledge of BlackBerry touch devices, how can you make such a statement, no truth here, just your opinion.

01-27-14 05:50 AM
    You shouldn't underestimate the headcount reduction, besides there being less people to leak stuff, you are also going to have less people involved in any one project so those people are less likely to leak anything as they would know that the chance of being caught had drastically increased.
    01-27-14 06:18 AM
    Unless you have some data regarding the world's knowledge of BlackBerry touch devices, how can you make such a statement, no truth here, just your opinion.

Pardon me, but I travel the world on business... over a quarter of a million miles a year... and I can assure you... only the BlackBerry faithful even know the Z10 exists, let alone the Z30.

BlackBerry Marketing... shame on you!

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-27-14 07:16 AM
    Pardon me, but I travel the world on business... over a quarter of a million miles a year... and I can assure you... only the BlackBerry faithful even know the Z10 exists, let alone the Z30.

BlackBerry Marketing... shame on you!

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    Like I said, and now you stated your opinion.

01-27-14 08:03 AM
    Like I said, and now you stated your opinion.

Fact = in personal business contacts with no less than 250 folks since launch of Z10, I've met 2 people aware of it...and one of them was laughing as he referred to it. And many of these were ex BlackBerry users.

How does anyone expect a company to succeed when the overwhelming majority don't even know their products exist?

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    01-27-14 08:24 AM
    Fact = in personal business contacts with no less than 250 folks since launch of Z10, I've met 2 people aware of it...and one of them was laughing as he referred to it. And many of these were ex BlackBerry users.

How does anyone expect a company to succeed when the overwhelming majority don't even know their products exist?

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    I don't mean to be disrespectful, but in your original post you stated that the world.....etc, and now you specify 250 people, I have no issues with your opinion, I just have issue with you making such a broad statements. Now you made a new statement "overwhelming majority ", how do you know this, I know that these broad statements are not correct or accurate, unless you have some data or statistics to verify. Let's just agree to disagree.

01-27-14 08:50 AM
    Bit of a narrow world view... have not doubt bb10 has been an unmidigated flop.... but not everywhere... other parts of the world it is still quite popular... whether this can translate into profits in the long run is questionable... as for phones... Foxcomm exec seems to indicate multiple phones may be shown in Barcelona on Feb 25... as Blackberry is tranisitioning to what is essentially a software oriented company.. does not mean hardware does not mesh into this but will be on the backburner for sure....
    01-27-14 09:00 AM
    Interesting thought, maybe Chen's plan is to get other platforms to consider and adopt OS 10.

01-27-14 09:07 AM
    I would like to know in which countries BB10 is quite popular, I am from Colombia, a BB country 4 or 5 years ago, and full of people with legacy phones, and I havent seen anybody yet with a BB10 device. I am with the guy that says that the market is still unaware of the new OS, I see Samsungs ads everyday on Tv, and since the launch of BB10 only like 2 ads from BB, the sale force in the major carriers have good knowledge of the Samung devices and not about BB10s, I work for a major consultant IT company and nobody has a BB10 as far as I have seen, so something has failed in big proportions about BB Marketing. Lets hope Jakarta marketing changes that in our third world countries.
    01-27-14 09:57 AM
    Interesting thought, maybe Chen's plan is to get other platforms to consider and adopt OS 10.

That was Thor's plan... But at this point, not even BlackBerry wants BB10, so why would anyone else. It's much more likely that we see BlackBerry come out with a device running BB10 in the background with a full Android experience than for someone else to license BB10.

As for devices... they know they need a truly entry level device, so they have announced one. And enterprise and physical keyboards is their "bread and butter" so they have announced a newer Q10 type device. But they also know that they can't compete with everyone else on releasing top of the line (or middle of the line) hardware every six months or even every 12 months. The Z10, Z30 and Q10 are going to be around for a while... most likely the Q5 will fade away as the new entry level devices come online. This should workout fine for enterprise customers that are prone to keep device in use for much longer than consumers are.

I don't see BlackBerry being a competitor in the consumer market - BB10 failed and they are throwing in the towel. If someone wants to buy a BlackBerry device they will be fine with it, they just aren't going to build the next and greatest device to try and compete with HTC, Samsung, Motorola and Apple.
    01-27-14 10:08 AM
    Bit of a narrow world view... have not doubt bb10 has been an unmidigated flop.... but not everywhere... other parts of the world it is still quite popular... whether this can translate into profits in the long run is questionable... as for phones... Foxcomm exec seems to indicate multiple phones may be shown in Barcelona on Feb 25... as Blackberry is tranisitioning to what is essentially a software oriented company.. does not mean hardware does not mesh into this but will be on the backburner for sure....
    Show me, with some evidence, any part of the world where BB10 is quite popular. And don't try any part of Asia or Europe, as I'm VERY familiar with those markets... and BB10 is just as much of a flop there as US... primarily because nobody knows about it.

I'd love to think you're right... but you're not

Posted with Z10 via CB10
    lnichols likes this.
    01-27-14 10:10 AM
36 12