I've been a huge Blackberry fan since I bought my first PlayBook in 2011. Three years, and two additional PBs later, I still love the device. However, I never did get it working exactly the way I wanted - most notably, the missing Skype app and sluggish, increasingly unstable browser left me frustrated and more than a bit angry at post-RIM management for abandoning it so abruptly.

Now, I've had the opportunity to spend some quality time with an iOS device (iPod Touch 4G running jailbroken iOS 6.1.5) and I'm stunned by just how smoothly the device functions. Everything just sort of...works, and I find myself fascinated by my ability to accomplish simple tasks that seemed near-impossible under PB OS 2.1.xx, Android 4.xx and even the Metro side of Windows 8.x.

For example:

1. Running Skype - Yes, BB10 users can run the Android port, but I don't have a BB10 phone. I'm a PB owner, and as of today we're *still* waiting for the Skype app that the Jimbo-wins teased way back in 2010. Skype for iOS is slick, functional and works as expected - all of which makes RIM/Blackberry's betrayal that much harder to forgive.

2. Using Skype with Bluetooth - Again, this may be possible with BB10 (don't have it so I can't test it), but under Android 4.xx I could never get the Mic to work properly with Skype, this despite trying multiple headsets from Motorola, Plantronics, Jawbone, etc. With iOS, it worked the first time I tried it - and continues to work with my vast collection of headsets and earpieces.

3. Accessing Skype Voicemail - iOS is the first mobile platform I've tried that has a Skype version with voicemail support. Hell, even Microsoft's own Windows 8.x version of the Skype client (which they now own) can't access voicemail messages. I have to use the desktop client on my HP Envy x2 or Lenovo w700ds in order to playback the message when somebody has left a voicemail on my Skype-In number.

Now, some of the above issues may have been mitigated by the vastly superior Android Runtime in BB10 (though the voicemail issue would likely remain since it's an Android-specific deficiency). However, we PB owners never got that update, either. In fact, I'm feeling a bit foolish for dismissing Apple's platform without ever really trying it (call it technical snobbery). In the end, working-while-not-technically-elegant is still better than not working (or available) at all.

Bottom Line: I now know why so many people buy these things - and it isn't just about "image." Apple's stuff just...works.

RCK
    JeepBB and tbims01 like this.
    01-26-14 01:45 AM
    Don't worry, iTunes for Windows cancels all of those points out.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 01:51 AM
    Yup that's the thing with Apple, they just have an OS that works and does what it says. I just find it very boring to use after a couple days but that's just me, different strides for different people. For iOS I also notice that you need an app for everything and even though you don't need an app you download it and delete it weeks later when you want to download another needless app. That's from my own observation as an ex- iPhone user. I love iPhone devices but to me they get boring, again imho. BlackBerry on the other hand has its definite drawbacks but I love the tinkering, the constant new features, the improvements, the flow, and just a little bit of it all! I also have a PlayBook and although I wish it had Skype it runs very smooth still for a very old piece of hardware not to mention it cost me a low price. So does Apple have an OS that just "works"? Yes. Is it a fun os? Not really imho. Productive? No but it does have productivity apps!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 01:57 AM
    Don't worry, iTunes for Windows cancels all of those points out.

Posted via CB10
    I feel like BlackBerry Link is competing for iTunes' infamous throne

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 01:59 AM
    Playbook is good for what it does, but nothing more. This whole post is really about lack of play book skype. The inbuilt video calling is amazing, but no one else seems to have it so it?s negated.

As for iTunes, Urgh. Link is catching up in terms of awfulness, it shouldn't take long flight them to be on par. I'm just glad I use Linux and don't need Link.

Z10 until Z30
    stlabrat likes this.
    01-26-14 02:09 AM
    www.imore.com sounds like a better place for this post

Posted via CB10
    bennelong and stlabrat like this.
    01-26-14 03:00 AM
    It's 2014 so I don't know why the OP is comparing a PB to an iPod touch running ios 6...but in my experience, the PB videochat is much smoother than Skype is on my old iPhone 3GS running iOS 7. I literally bought a bunch of Playbooks for my family when they got dumped off cheap for this very reason. We still do PB to PB chats with the baby all the time. Sometimes my wife uses Facetime (on her iPhone 5) with those on her side that don't have Playbooks. Never Skype...it's too choppy. Your point about ios being smoother than PB OS is true, but bb10 is way better than PB os, and PB never had enough RAM anyways, so we all already know that story, and its getting very very tired.

24C28DD7
    stlabrat likes this.
    01-26-14 06:04 AM
    OP, I think your post is probably irrelevant anyways. The pb failed we get it, do you honestly think that devs are going to waste time creating apps for a defunct system?

Also, BlackBerry 10 has its own Skype app, so no need to run a port.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 06:42 AM
    Glad to see OP is having a good experience... be aware however that many do not have the same expeience... remember it is not just the software... your internet connection and how your ISP handles this type of communication.... where I live.. even with a 6 mb connection.. I find Skype really choppy on my Ipad but oddly works great with my PC... many variables....
    sickyute likes this.
    01-26-14 03:08 PM
    OP, I think your post is probably irrelevant anyways. The pb failed we get it, do you honestly think that devs are going to waste time creating apps for a defunct system?

OP's PB experience matches my own almost exactly, so it was relevant to me at least. I bought an iPad for the one App that I needed, because the Android port on PB was only partly functional, and a native App was never going to happen.

Incidently, I thought the BB10 Skype App *was* an Android port?
    01-26-14 03:33 PM
    Kind of a useless thread though no? We all get it PB doesent have skype.

I use mine for occasional Web browsing, to play movies via hdmi when I'm out, or as a picture frame slide show or with bridge to play media or movies through my TV.

For the 150$ I spent it's been great.

Wait a few months when bbm video is available for multi device and with the higher quality video you may find yourself using it more so than skype.

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 06:37 PM
    I feel like BlackBerry Link is competing for iTunes' infamous throne

Posted via CB10
    I have had excellent results with Link. No issues at all. Plus, the remote file access has made my cloud services almost useless.

Now, if you really want to be depressed, try the WP8 sync tools. Especially for Windows 7. I finally stopped using it and am currently just using basic copy and paste.
    01-26-14 07:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry 10 Skype is a port...

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 07:13 PM
    OP stop living in the past! Get rid of that sorry playbook and buy yourself a real tablet

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 07:58 PM
    I can't believe you think Apple is so great by comparing Skype on a PlayBook which had to be side loaded compared to a native app on another platform. WOW!

Posted via CB10
    01-26-14 08:35 PM
    OP, I agree that the PB fell short, especially since it has been abandoned by BB.

I still use mine daily though. The browser really wasn't very good, but search for the origami browser to use instead. Makes a big difference.
    01-26-14 10:44 PM