Two of our four PlayBooks died recently and I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had seen what we're seeing here.

On one of them, I think I'm totally out of luck. It?s my 64GB model. It started producing a negative image, that is, each color was the photographic negative of what it should have been (I think). After a while, it stopped doing even that and now I just get a light snow across the display.

The other one has me downright puzzled.

My son was playing Blur Overdrive and the tablet shut off and began flashing the following sequence in red:

1 flash, pause, 3 flashes, pause, 1 flash, pause, repeat.

I thought, no problem, I'll do a hard reset. So I held the power button down with the lower volume button. After a few seconds the flashing stopped, and that's all she wrote.

I can't get any sign of life out of it any more. It wasn't low on battery when it died, but just for good measure I've tried different variations on the stack charging method, but no luck.

I called BlackBerry support about mine just on the off chance that they would help even though it was out of warranty, but unfortunately it wasn't my day (some people on these forums have gotten a refurb replacement even after warranty was out so I figured, nothing ventured, nothing gained...)

All of our tablets are out of warranty and BlackBerry wants $100 plus shipping to look at them. I can get a new one from Amazon.com for that price...

Download Noted, a 5-star rated, native BB10 memo pad app.
    01-20-14 01:20 PM
    Two of our four PlayBooks died recently and I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had seen what we're seeing here.

On one of them, I think I'm totally out of luck. It?s my 64GB model. It started producing a negative image, that is, each color was the photographic negative of what it should have been (I think). After a while, it stopped doing even that and now I just get a light snow across the display.

The other one has me downright puzzled.

My son was playing Blur Overdrive and the tablet shut off and began flashing the following sequence in red:

1 flash, pause, 3 flashes, pause, 1 flash, pause, repeat.

I thought, no problem, I'll do a hard reset. So I held the power button down with the lower volume button. After a few seconds the flashing stopped, and that's all she wrote.

I can't get any sign of life out of it any more. It wasn't low on battery when it died, but just for good measure I've tried different variations on the stack charging method, but no luck.

I called BlackBerry support about mine just on the off chance that they would help even though it was out of warranty, but unfortunately it wasn't my day (some people on these forums have gotten a refurb replacement even after warranty was out so I figured, nothing ventured, nothing gained...)

All of our tablets are out of warranty and BlackBerry wants $100 plus shipping to look at them. I can get a new one from Amazon.com for that price...

try stack charge,,, plug playbook into a surge protector,,, turn on protector switch for 2 mins, off for 1 min 'til it starts to take a charge,,, your son ran the battery to 0 is what happened,,, never let it go below 10%...
    01-20-14 01:23 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...ckberry-32322/ you can try, but as you say there is nothing now... most likely it won't.

Have been seeing more post of PlayBook failures - most due to battery issues, which does not sound like your problem. Take you $100+ and invest in a tablet platform that isn't dead. Even if you bought a new PlayBook today, most likely the battery is 12-18 months old and thus lost half it's usefulness, never mind the lack of any 3rd party development.
    01-20-14 01:39 PM
    This is a link to the flashing code (1= on; 0=off):
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-panic-829841/
    Closest I think is the 93 nand failure. Sorry but don't know what would fix it short of a debrick and reload the OS. I didn't think BBRY was accepting any PB repairs but I'm with you, get another one.
    01-20-14 01:42 PM
    Closest I think is the 93 nand failure. Sorry but don't know what would fix it short of a debrick and reload the OS. I didn't think BBRY was accepting any PB repairs but I'm with you, get another one.
    That's exactly what we saw, the 93 nand failure code. I'd love to combine the PlayBooks guts to make a working one, but it sounds like I'm up a creek.

Thanks though, now I can toss them and stop wasting my time.

01-20-14 01:51 PM
    [QUOTE=Carterbits;9878196]Two of our four PlayBooks died recently and I thought I'd post here to see if anyone had seen what we're seeing here.

On one of them, I think I'm totally out of luck. It?s my 64GB model. It started producing a negative image, that is, each color was the photographic negative of what it should have been (I think). After a while, it stopped doing even that and now I just get a light snow across the display. [QUOTE]

My 32 gig has been doing this on and off for the last few months, I use it for work still quite alot and thought at first it might be the cold affecting it as this is when it woulfd happen for sure after having it in the truck with me. I figured out if I hit the power button once or twice in quick succession it would go away. Now it will not always wake up after the screen has powered down, swiping does not always work. Again hitting the power but once or twice seems to do the trick or plugging it into a charger for a few minutes and then unplugging it will wake it up. I think I may still have extended warranty through Stapples were it was purchased, so I will be bringing back to them.
    01-20-14 01:52 PM
    That's exactly what we saw, the 93 nand failure code. I'd love to combine the PlayBooks guts to make a working one, but it sounds like I'm up a creek.

Thanks though, now I can toss them and stop wasting my time.

I'd still try to connect to Desktop Manager and see if it detects it. Try some of the things here:
    playbook shut down and does not power on anymore - Page 7 - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    01-20-14 02:15 PM
    So I just put my PB motherboard in his, plugged it in to power and it began booting, with the same snow/white lines as before.

Then I put his motherboard in my PB's chassis, where the batteries were nicely charged and it was dead as a door nail.

At this point we can close this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

It is, at least, nice to have "closure" on our dearly departed tablets, which are now at the bottom of a garbage can

Last edited by Carterbits; 01-20-14 at 02:40 PM.
    01-20-14 02:29 PM
    I'd take that info with a grain of salt- it may or may not be accurate/relevant. The thread was started by QuackQuack, who made a lot of claims in his day, all of which, to the best of my knowledge, he could never back up (plus he is currently banned from this forum). Second, the source he quotes for his info is a post about error codes for the BB Bold, not the BB Playbook. Who knows if the error codes are the same for both?
    01-20-14 05:02 PM
    I am seeing more threads about dead Playbooks on this forum. As time goes on I suspect this trend will continue. Enjoy them if you have them. The clock is ticking...
    01-21-14 07:25 AM
    01-22-14 02:20 AM
    In the OP I stated that I tried stack charging just in case. Stack charging really wasn't even indicated by the symptoms to begin with though. The battery was not run down, rather, something failed while running an intensive 3d game which IMHO over heated and hastened the death of a faulty tablet (I made my living troubleshooting hardware for years before I switched to writing software)

Also, I state later on that swapping the mobo into a PlayBook that was charged didn't work.

I appreciate the good intentions, but it's game over for the two PlayBooks I posted about. :-)

01-22-14 04:38 AM