They are way too sensitive. The slightest push and the volume is affected. I wish they were stiffer like on the Z10. Also, I really hate that they are active while on a call with bluetooth with the screen locked. The slightest touch in my pocket and I'm either muted or the volume is going haywire. I've had two different models of this phone (One with Verizon and now an unlocked one) and they have both been the same. Great build quality overall but the side buttons are just way to cheap I'd you ask me.
    01-19-14 04:40 PM
    I never really use mine so I guess I never noticed. I will say I dislike the power button though, mine isn't raised enough for my liking but it does the trick.
    01-19-14 04:44 PM
    Dislike. Much better description

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    01-19-14 04:46 PM
    Wasn't the slider torch the same way? Sensitive side buttons? If there is a way to completely disable that mute button I'm all for it. I don't even take my phone in the gym anymore because of that friggin cheap *** mute button. Who passed that anyway? Don't people try these phones out before mass production? I would like to raise my hand to be a tester for any future models. That wouldn't get past me....

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 04:49 PM
    Dislike. Much better description

Posted with my gorgeous Z30
    Lol you are right. I really dislike it.
    bigbadben10 likes this.
    01-19-14 05:24 PM
    Wasn't the slider torch the same way? Sensitive side buttons? If there is a way to completely disable that mute button I'm all for it. I don't even take my phone in the gym anymore because of that friggin cheap *** mute button. Who passed that anyway? Don't people try these phones out before mass production? I would like to raise my hand to be a tester for any future models. That wouldn't get past me....

Posted via CB10
    The mute button is my biggest beef as well. It's just not pocketable if listening to headphones or talking on a bluetooth headset. It mutes with the slightest press. Really annoying.
    sonyalynn13 likes this.
    01-19-14 05:26 PM
    Some people report their side buttons to be stiff. Mine are terrible to the point of almost no tactile feedback and I'm trying to do an exchange. If the changed unit is still the same I'm going to give the z30 a pass. Z10 is far superior

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 05:57 PM
    Some people report their side buttons to be stiff. Mine are terrible to the point of almost no tactile feedback and I'm trying to do an exchange. If the changed unit is still the same I'm going to give the z30 a pass. Z10 is far superior

Posted via CB10
    If the Z10 is far superior, stay with the Z10.

Posted via Verizon Z30
    01-19-14 06:03 PM
    Agreed, they are junk. I am always pressing them by accident as they are so light and easy to press. I wish they were done like on my Z10 or the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 06:54 PM
    Put a piece of tape on the back of them when you remove the cover. It stiffens them slightly. Don't put too much or the buttons either don't work or are stuck in the activated position.

Good luck.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 06:56 PM
    If the Z10 is far superior, stay with the Z10.

Posted via Verizon Z30
    The only thing I don't like about z10 is the battery life. I'm willing to get a slightly bigger phone for the boost in life. But I use the side buttons way too much for it to be usable while they are so sloppy

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 08:40 PM
    That bites. Are the newest produced still like that? Sounds like the need to use better parts.
    01-19-14 08:47 PM
    I totally agree that the Z10 has much better built in terms of the side buttons, the ones on the Z30 is too sensitive. I have SayIt running headless and i'm always hitting it unknowingly. Even sometimes on the car dash, when it happens to face the closed end, it triggers. But i wouldn't say it's poor quality.
    01-19-14 08:54 PM
    I wonder if this is different by type of device? I have an STA 100-3 on Verizon the buttons are very solid on mine and are not too sensitive. The only gripe I have is the extra 'nipple' (not sure of the correct technical term ) is a bit on the rough side but I expect it will wear down over time.

Z30 on Verizon running 10.2. 1.1925
    01-19-14 09:05 PM
    ps. The nipple is on the mute button

01-19-14 09:06 PM
    I wonder if this is different by type of device? I have an STA 100-3 on Verizon the buttons are very solid on mine and are not too sensitive. The only gripe I have is the extra 'nipple' (not sure of the correct technical term ) is a bit on the rough side but I expect it will wear down over time.

Buttons are buttons. Some fit better, some don't. Sometimes they improve the placement, sometimes they don't. Each device is different. Yours are stiff, donnation's aren't.. no real rhyme or reason to it. If anyone is unhappy, just get a device swap though.. often times you could be worse off doing that cause you dunno what you're gonna get next.. lol.
    01-19-14 09:09 PM
    For me I find its the placement more then the sensitivity, when I hold the phone to my ear I have to consciously think about where I have my thumb so I don't hit them. I would have preferred to have them on the left side of the phone...

Posted via CB10 with a Z30
    01-19-14 09:11 PM
    I didn't like the buttons at first either buy I've learned how to handle the device without hitting them now. Just takes time getting use to it. Sure some phones have a firm enough button to pick the device up by them but it just isn't the case here. You'll get use to it with time.
    01-19-14 09:27 PM
    Actually find the buttons quite fine. Thing is as for most devices you need to put such in a case. Putting such just in your pocket will expose the device buttons to potential foreign object activaion. The belt case foe either the Z10 or 30 works great!
    01-19-14 10:05 PM
    Buttons are buttons. Some fit better, some don't. Sometimes they improve the placement, sometimes they don't. Each device is different. Yours are stiff, donnation's aren't.. no real rhyme or reason to it. If anyone is unhappy, just get a device swap though.. often times you could be worse off doing that cause you dunno what you're gonna get next.. lol.
    Yah, I hope the one I exchange for will be better. The unit I got, after using it for an hour it goes from barely any tactile feedback/resistance to absolutely 0. Defect, poor design of the buttons/case. My buttons were ALWAYS pressed inadvertantly in my pocket. Either directly on the button or some pressure from the casing. I made a thread about this, reposting here.

This can't be right..............
    01-19-14 10:37 PM
    I thought I was the only one having issues with the mute button being too easily pressed by accident which activates Say it app in my case.

Posted using the LG G2 / BlackBerry Z30
    01-19-14 10:48 PM
    For me I find its the placement more then the sensitivity, when I hold the phone to my ear I have to consciously think about where I have my thumb so I don't hit them. I would have preferred to have them on the left side of the phone...

Posted via CB10 with a Z30
    Then the people who use their left ear will have your problem. I use my left ear.

Posted via Verizon Z30
    01-19-14 11:16 PM
    I have the z30, and the side buttons are fine, not hitting them at all unless I press them.
    When did you all buy these phones? Might be a problem with a certain batch.
    01-20-14 12:44 AM
    I bought an Otterbox case and that stiffens them up perfect.

Posted via CB10
    01-30-14 07:44 AM
    agreed, the reason i returned my verizon unit. annoying (to me) as heck.
    01-30-14 06:27 PM
32 12