Tablets 1, 2, and 3 - all latest OS version. Laptops A, B and C (all Win7).

Tablets 1 & 2 connect to all three laptops via USB wire no problem, always have, still do.
    Tablet 3 connected to all three laptops via USB wire no problem. Then it stopped connecting with A & B but still worked with USB connection on C. About a month later, it won't work via USB on C - it just hangs at the "Initializing device access".

I've tried uninstalling the drivers on a laptop, then reinstall. Doing a clean reinstall of Desktop Manager. I can gain access to the PB3 via wireless but that's slower to transfer files, esp since I use this one for movies, etc hooked up via HDMI.

Any other suggestions - this is strange that 2 PB's work, and 1 did, but now doesn't. Nothing else got changed on any of the laptops. Weird!

I even just went through the whole process of wiping the PB3 clean (totally scared me because it only came back with one icon *EEEEK* until I updated the OS - phewwww). Still no joy for USB connection.

EDIT: FIXED!!!! Read post #5
    Last edited by TOphotog; 01-16-14 at 02:47 PM.
    01-16-14 12:43 PM
    PlayBooks are know for issues with the USB connector. You didn't mention charging problems, so I assume that portion still is working. And you do get an Initializing Device Access message so some of the pins are still making contact for now. If you have three laptops and other PlayBooks that work on them, and you have reloading the OS.... it is painful, but the issue is hardware related. It can be fixed, but the question is would it be worth it at this point.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-16-14 12:55 PM
    Thanks, yes it's charging no problem but I use the rapid-charger magnetic charger. I just tried it with two different BB wall chargers and it charges, no problem. If it's a hardware issue, then it's not worth it to me. Weird that it worked for about two months, then wouldn't work on 2 but still worked on 1, then nadda. I've tried using many different BB cables as well. It's obviously communicating through that port. I just wondered if anyone had any other ideas to try before I give up and just use it for wireless transfers.
    01-16-14 01:56 PM
    Thanks, yes it's charging no problem but I use the rapid-charger magnetic charger. I just tried it with two different BB wall chargers and it charges, no problem. If it's a hardware issue, then it's not worth it to me. Weird that it worked for about two months, then wouldn't work on 2 but still worked on 1, then nadda. I've tried using many different BB cables as well. It's obviously communicating through that port. I just wondered if anyone had any other ideas to try before I give up and just use it for wireless transfers.
    Just for giggles, haver you tried another usb port on the pc?
    Another thing you can to do nail down the offending culprit is try your hardware on a friends machine.

Yes, that Micro USB is a "delicate little flower", and you are wise to go with the Rapid Travel Charger., saving that port for the data bits.

Sometimes you might be able to see if there is an alignment issue with the port , and maybe tweak it with a wooden toofspick.

c
    01-16-14 02:15 PM
    First, yes, I tried all the different USB ports on all three laptops, and yes, that's why I use the magnetic charger - to keep that delicate $%^&#**'ing port working! LOL

WELL, WELL, WELL... on another site, someone said to try the new software Blackberry Link, written to sync media on the BB10 but apparently it works with the Playbook.
    BlackBerry Link - BlackBerry 10 Smartphone to Computer Sync - US
    While starting that software, after installing it, I had the offending tablet plugged in via USB and all of a sudden, doo-doop - voila - it mounted as drive Z, so it's got to be a driver/software issue. I'm now happily transferring videos via USB cable drag n drop right now so all is well with the world. Please pass this fix along if you find any other people having this problem.
    GV2012 likes this.
    01-16-14 02:45 PM
    UPDATE:

AND now it doesn't work. After installing Blackberry Link, it worked great for nine days. Now tablets 1, 2 and 3 won't connect wired no matter what I try.. What a right PITA this is. Looks like I'm going to have to do all transfers over wifi which is tough when transferring 3GB movies, etc.
    01-25-14 07:37 PM