Instead of giving out a big update all at once, why not keep on introducing features as they come up?
    Best
    Mike
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    01-16-14 04:15 AM
    Yup. I'd love to see more of an Agile development model than a traditional Waterfall.
    01-16-14 05:23 AM
    Well, there has been like 5 updates since launch, less than a year ago. That is pretty agile.

Posted via CB10
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    01-16-14 05:44 AM
    The updates come much faster then the other manufacturer's I find. I have owned them all: Windows, Android, IOS, and the one i see giving the most updates per year that aren't just bug fixes is BlackBerry

Go BlackBerry.
    01-16-14 05:59 AM
    Well, there has been like 5 updates since launch, less than a year ago. That is pretty agile.

Posted via CB10
    I'm talking about Agile software development methodologies. Small iterative development in regularly scheduled releases throughout a specific period of time.

http://www.slideshare.net/julienhenz...opment-9696258

http://www.allaboutagile.com/what-is...ey-principles/
    01-16-14 06:08 AM
    I'm going to assume that big occasional updates are less expensive for BlackBerry. Every time they send to the carries, it costs money, no matter how big or small. So less is better from a financial standpoint.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 06:17 AM
    It is because each update has to be approved by the carriers. Carriers would not accept a model like you are suggesting.
    xhead75 likes this.
    01-16-14 06:33 AM
    But we could break new ground if we tried and made the carriers part of the team rather than an outsider with no representation. The best way to move forward is to push what is normally accepted.
    01-16-14 06:50 AM
    Or they can negotiate with carriers to not give a crap about stuff not related to their network, so they can update the OS all they want and functionality as long as it does not affect the radio code, etc.
    This would allow them to bypass the carriers for Mobile computing functionality.
    They should nail down what carriers has to approve and work that separately to other parts of BB10.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-16-14 07:14 AM
    But we could break new ground if we tried and made the carriers part of the team rather than an outsider with no representation. The best way to move forward is to push what is normally accepted.
    Most carriers don't even carry the phones we're discussing here. XD

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 07:19 AM
    Or they can negotiate with carriers to not give a crap about stuff not related to their network, so they can update the OS all they want and functionality as long as it does not affect the radio code, etc.
    This would allow them to bypass the carriers for Mobile computing functionality.
    They should nail down what carriers has to approve and work that separately to other parts of BB10.
    Carriers have to provide support for the entire OS, so it's not just a question of radio compatibility.

Posted via CB10
    01-16-14 07:40 AM
    I also have to assume that less changes in each release would result in less time/testing required by the carriers to bug fix (assuming the issues aren't introduced with their own software) or at the very least it would be a whole lot easier for the testing groups to isolate the bugs/issues when they know each update is only going to implement a few changes.
    01-16-14 09:02 AM
    I also have to assume that less changes in each release would result in less time/testing required by the carriers to bug fix (assuming the issues aren't introduced with their own software) or at the very least it would be a whole lot easier for the testing groups to isolate the bugs/issues when they know each update is only going to implement a few changes.
    PRECISELY the concept of Agile development as opposed to Waterfall. Reduce the level of risk by continuing development and testing in small iterative releases that release smaller enhancements and fixes in shorter time frames. Or smaller iterative releases can go to Staging for carrier testing and then several releases are submitted to Production, having already been available to carriers to test.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-16-14 09:53 AM
    Instead of giving out a big update all at once, why not keep on introducing features as they come up?
    Best
    Mike
    Ah, this was the concept touted by RIM (back then) for the Playbook. They provided an OS update that would allow small incremental updates. I think that lasted for about one update. Then they fell back into huge upgrades that were delayed months and months and then a year. Then BB10 was to come in one nice big update - STILL WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I like the idea. But I'm accepting that LEAKS may be the way to go!
    01-16-14 10:04 AM
    PRECISELY the concept of Agile development as opposed to Waterfall. Reduce the level of risk by continuing development and testing in small iterative releases that release smaller enhancements and fixes in shorter time frames. Or smaller iterative releases can go to Staging for carrier testing and then several releases are submitted to Production, having already been available to carriers to test.
    Thanks! I hadn't taken the time to read the links you so graciously provided yet so I'm glad I was understanding where you were coming from.
    01-16-14 10:40 AM
    Wasn't there a small patch to 10.2 a little while ago?

In any case there is some movement in that direction. More of the capability of the system is being provided by applications which have been receiving updates through BlackBerry World. There was even an update to the Android runtime delivered this way.

10.2.1 includes new API support and some changes existing (as I've seen some strange behavior of my applications that is different on the DEV release from the latest leak). API changes are going to have repercussions across many parts of the OS and it will take time to minimize all the side effects.

I'm sure as the OS matures and the API reaches stability you will start to see more smaller updates that will either be delivered through BlackBerry World or as non-carrier impacting patches.
    01-16-14 10:41 AM