Hey,

We all have our own personal opinions on whether Ryan Seacrest's typo will be a positive and be just what some existing and new users are looking for.

We all know or ought to know that BlackBerry has sued typo. The question is should BlackBerry let Typo sell these keyboards and hope to get compensated in court as a result of the possible patent infringement or should they seek an injunction, baring any keyboard sales till this matter is resolved. This would mean that Typo would not be able to deliver the respective pre orders.

Personally, I think they should go down the injunction route and flex their muscle right of the get go.

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 08:13 PM
    I also agree i think they should go that route and delay them long enough so BlackBerry can bring there own keyboard add in go the market

Posted via CB10
    01-14-14 08:47 PM
    Yep. I think Typo is getting way more attention than it deserves and almost all the analysts have said that it looks way too similar to the BlackBerry. What's the point of BlackBerry having all these patents if they can't defend against infringements. Hopefully, they'll put an injunction order in soon before Typo starts to ship.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 06:57 AM
    Yep. I think Typo is getting way more attention than it deserves and almost all the analysts have said that it looks way too similar to the BlackBerry. What's the point of BlackBerry having all these patents if they can't defend against infringements. Hopefully, they'll put an injunction order in soon before Typo starts to ship.

Posted via CB10
    I don't think they have any plans on asking for an injunction. I don't think they really care who uses it, they just ask that you pay for it. They've licensed the keyboard in the past and will most likely do so moving forward for any who want to use it.
    01-15-14 07:09 AM
    BlackBerry seems more interested in "making money" out of the issue than issue a "cease and decist" at the point. Or have they issued a "cease and desist"?
    01-15-14 08:43 AM
    Clearly, no one here has worked in the IP litigation area.

You can be certain that "cease and desist" is very much on the table and will be or is a central part of the negotiations which you can be assured are underway as we speak. Without the ability of disrupting the monetization of an investment, makes the whole process toothless. This is even more critical for a start-up which probably has no material revenues.

I have no doubt Blackberry’s lawyers are using the full spectrum of available protections and remedies.
    01-16-14 09:48 AM
    I read the claim and part of the relief being sought by BlackBerry is an injunction. But that only kicks in after the trial. I think to get an injunction immediately they have to bring a motion and the test is harder. BlackBerry would have to prove irreparable harm (that is, harm that cannot be compensated with cash). That's the law in Canada, at least.

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 09:43 PM
    I read the claim and part of the relief being sought by BlackBerry is an injunction. But that only kicks in after the trial. I think to get an injunction immediately they have to bring a motion and the test is harder. BlackBerry would have to prove irreparable harm (that is, harm that cannot be compensated with cash). That's the law in Canada, at least.

Posted via CB10
    I think they're suing them out of a U.S. court though, since Typo Keyboards LLC is in Los Angeles, but I'm sure the irreparable harm law is probably similar in both countries.

I'd like to see BlackBerry put a stop to Typo's product as it is, though that would add a certain notoriety to the product, which could end up helping Typo sell more units (which would be fine, if it's not such a blatant ripoff).

If BlackBerry did create its own keyboard for the iPhone, I could see how they could make money on those, but they'd also lose current and potential BlackBerry users. I'd never be tempted, because I value BlackBerry 10 as much as the keyboard, but others might not feel the same.

They would have to seriously evaluate this, though I somehow doubt they're even considering it right now.
    01-18-14 10:29 PM
    If the action is successful, BlackBerry would have the choice to shut Typo down completely or force Typo to license the IP from BlackBerry. Licensing it would be not all that dissimilar from BlackBerry's deal with Foxconn in that BlackBerry would get revenue without any of the risk of making and selling the produce. On the other hand, the profit margins would presumably be bigger if BlackBerry just made an iPhone keyboard itself.

Posted via CB10
    01-19-14 08:08 AM