Went into a fairly large tims earlier hoping to be amazing, flash my Z10 and use it to pay for my coffee.

However all did not go to plan and was informed they did not accept it at that location and was forced to use other methods of payment.

So here is my question, what does the tims have to have before I can make magic happen, or is there an easy way to tell before hand if it is possible? Thanks in advance

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 06:15 PM
    No idea, all places I've gone has worked. Maybe they have to support interact flash or paypass.

Could check their website to see if they mention something

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 06:18 PM
    I believe all that's required is that they have a functional POS terminal that accepts tap-to-pay credit cards, such as PayPass.

And then you must have NFC turned on, the TimmyMe app open, and a Tim's card with a balance available input into app.
    01-13-14 06:20 PM
    Same with me, all the tims I've been to (been to a lot) have NFC, if you can pay with pay pass through your credit card or tapping your bank card then the app will work

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 06:21 PM
    I was told that their machines need to be updated before it will work. Lol maybe by the end of 2014 just to keep all things BlackBerry

Q10 with 10.2.1.1925 Leak Installed
    01-13-14 06:23 PM
    So I have done some research and NFC does support payment options, but one down side is that with the blackberries the payment option fails to be functional, there hasn't or to be a payment connection between your payment option and NFC connectivity. Even when creating a tag for NFC you have to be at a Tim Hortons scan the debit machine creating the tag and add to payment of your NFC enabled credit card. At the moment Android devices such as Samsung are capable of this via Google wallet. BlackBerry have not yet completed the setup for NFC pay
    01-13-14 06:25 PM
    So I have done some research and NFC does support payment options, but one down side is that with the blackberries the payment option fails to be functional, there hasn't or to be a payment connection between your payment option and NFC connectivity. Even when creating a tag for NFC you have to be at a Tim Hortons scan the debit machine creating the tag and add to payment of your NFC enabled credit card. At the moment Android devices such as Samsung are capable of this via Google wallet. BlackBerry have not yet completed the setup for NFC pay
    I'm confused what are you saying?
    The app works fine I used it many times using my Z30 to pay for my tims order

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 06:26 PM
    It's worked fine for me on my Z10, both inside and through the Drive Thru. As long as they have the tap-to-pay pin pad and the clerk selects Tim Card for payment type, it will work.
    01-13-14 06:30 PM
    01-13-14 06:31 PM
    Ah, so it may have just been a lack of employee knowledge or maybe just boredom on his part.... next time. thanks

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 06:46 PM
    I have yet to find a Tim Horton's that this does not work at. Don't tell them you are using your phone, as when you do that, they think Android or iPhone which is not yet supported at most locations as I believe the beta is still only in Niagara Region (Ontario).

When you want to use the App and NFC, just tell them you are paying with a Tim Card, that way there is no debate from the person that likely has no clue that BlackBerry does work this way.
    01-13-14 06:54 PM
    I have used the Tim's app on my Z30 about 40/50 times to pay for my purchases and it works great. I think only once or twice could I not use it. You need to get a Tim's card, load it up with some $$ and then enter the card number in the App. After that, when you are ready to pay, just open the app, select Tim Card and follow the instructions. It takes 15 seconds or less. You do not have to activate NFC, the app will ask you. Also do not ask Tim employees about this, because the vast majority doesn't have a clue. It actually surprises them when you do it.
    01-13-14 07:09 PM
    When you want to use the App and NFC, just tell them you are paying with a Tim Card, that way there is no debate from the person that likely has no clue that BlackBerry does work this way.
    This is exactly what I do. Just tell them Tim card, pretend that you're playing with your phone then BAM pay with your phone. It amazes people every time.

I even had someone say to me: "Oh you're the guy with the fancy phone." Me: "Ya it's called the BlackBerry Z10"
    01-13-14 07:59 PM
    This is exactly what I do. Just tell them Tim card, pretend that you're playing with your phone then BAM pay with your phone. It amazes people every time.

I even had someone say to me: "Oh you're the guy with the fancy phone." Me: "Ya it's called the BlackBerry Z10"
    Now you just need to actually get a fancy phone and get the Z30
    I loved my Z10 but my Z30 is amazing

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    01-13-14 08:01 PM
    Just to clarify, it works in some areas but not all, for example, east of Toronto hasn't been updated to accept BlackBerrys' yet

Q10 with 10.2.1.1925 Leak Installed
    01-13-14 08:06 PM
    Now you just need to actually get a fancy phone and get the Z30
    I loved my Z10 but my Z30 is amazing

Posted via CB10
    LOL! I really want one believe me. Just not in the cash books at the moment.
    01-13-14 08:17 PM
    Every Tim's in Ottawa seems to work. Ask to tap with Tim's card....
    01-13-14 08:33 PM
    I tried to use it at the store they just built here in town. Even though the tap-to-pay pad is there, the manager said the store wasn't setup to do it yet. So I made him take my Z10 and enter my card in manually. He was shocked to see an all touch BlackBerry and said it felt nice in his hand. Maybe that experience was better than the pad actually working.
    01-13-14 09:14 PM
    Have to say paying with my Z10 was pretty awesome. Went back and did as instructed and it worked flawlessly

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 03:12 PM
    It's worked fine for me on my Z10, both inside and through the Drive Thru. As long as they have the tap-to-pay pin pad and the clerk selects Tim Card for payment type, it will work.
    And that is the key, don't say anything but you are paying by Tim Card. Let them enter "Tim Card " as the payment method then pull out your phone and tap the glass with tour phone and you are good to go. I can guarantee you that if the payment does not work it's an error related to how they entered the payment.

Posted via CB10
    Sarek1701 likes this.
    01-17-14 03:18 PM
    Seems like according to their press release, all Tim should support NFC payments.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-14 03:43 PM
    I love BAMMING them all the time! Haha

Posted via CB10
    dcbo89 likes this.
    01-18-14 09:19 AM
    It really is strangely satisfying, finding myself at tim Horton's more now that I can pay with my Z10. Amazed every employee I've used it in front of so far

Posted via CB10
    01-18-14 06:01 PM
    I have had it work at all tims including mississauga.

As many have said you have to inform them you're paying with a Tim card and the debit/credit card pad has to show on the screen swipe/insert/tap card. If the tap feature doesn't show on pin pad then it won't work. I have run into one tims location that had not upgraded their pin pads.

The reaction you get from the cashier is priceless. One lady actually thought I was trying to somehow scam for a $1.40 coffee. One person in line when finding out my phone was a BlackBerry had the audacity to say their Samsung can do that and it was nothing special. I replied to him that I wasn't try to make this something special and yes Samsung androids can do Nfc payments, by all means pay with Nfc. He paid with cash.
    01-18-14 06:10 PM
    Fyi guys, I just had a conversation. With Tim Horton's here is what lead to this conversation.

So my very first NFC transaction was at a store located in Milton Ontario. Zero issues with the transaction. So I go back to the same location a couple weeks later and my transaction will not work. The employee told me that they don't have the technology there (essentially calling me a liar), which is what made me email head office.

Received this little bit of info from head office this morning. The chip for NFC is apparently located on the back plate of the phone. So if you change your back plate to a fancy looking cover your transaction will not work (obviously) . John at Tim Horton's also stated that try to position the center of the back in the middle of the screen.

Posted via CB10
    01-22-14 09:24 AM
35 12