Hi, I feel an ***** describing this but here goes

I'm in the UK and had an 8520 on a SIM only contract which included 250mb of data a month. I never used more than 100mb of the total, I tweet, send/receive emails, use BBM and surf a bit. Whenever I'm at home I'm attached to my home wifi. I went into Carphone warehouse as I fancied a new phone and they said I could get the q5 for �1 a month more than I was paying and everything else stayed the same

Only now do I realise the q5 doesn't compress data and I am gonna be stung for �5-10 a month for going over my limit. As I've already used 20% of my allowance in 4 days. Damn I was an *****, I'm contemplating stopping using the q5 and just going back to my old phone. I was given a new micro sim for the q5' same phone No etc.

First question can I just put my sim in the old phone and start using it again, on my previous plan I had BIS as the q5 doesn't use BIS do I still have it

Secondly if I'm not gonna use the q5 I'm gonna sell it and probably buy an 9320 or 9720, would either use the compression as they are on OS7 I believe

Any advice is much appreciate
    01-12-14 03:22 PM
    How much data is included in your current plan? With some compromises you could alter your usage patterns and make more use of wifi and get by.

I decided to get off the 24 month contract bandwagon for that very reason and moved to Giffgaff some time ago as that allows me to change my usage pattern each month. I can optionally choose to add BIS on my legacy BlackBerry device when I need it.

If your contract was taken out very recently you may be still able to cancel it without penalty and start over.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 03:49 PM
    I currently have 250mb, i've used nearly 50mb since Tuesday night, and that is being attached to wifi all weekend and barely using my phone on Friday, I could see if I can cut down, but it seems a shame not to be able to use the phone how it was meant to be...or I could just stop being so tight!

Every time I even look at twitter it was nearly 1mb of data, I've taken my emails off, so I'll monitor it for a few days before deciding what to do. I took the contract out in store so it can't be cancelled
    01-12-14 04:06 PM
    You were missold the Q5, the person who advised that you can get that phone should have been aware that you would use more data on the new device and if they didn't know then they should have been trained better.

I'm not sure who you can complain to about this but that's what's happened and it's still happening to everyone being advised to upgrade their bb's at the moment...i would complain until they do something about it, go back to the carphone warehouse and go straight to the manager, no one else!

I can't see the characters displayed where you've written your monthly price but as an example, you could get a Virgin sim only plan that gives you unlimited calls data and texts on a 30 day rolling contract for 15 pounds per month.
    01-12-14 04:14 PM
    sadly new bb10 does not use any compression compared to legacy devices 250 is nowhere near enough data for these new devices, i just gave my dad my old z10 and he has never had a smartphone before but even to be safe i gave him a 2gb data plan to go with it.
    01-12-14 04:21 PM
    Hi, thanks for the advice

I was actually thinking about going back to the shop, but thought it would have been up to me to find out before hand about the jump in data useage. I'm paying eleven pounds ninety nine per month
    01-12-14 04:21 PM
    How much data you use depends on your usage patterns. I do more with my Z10 than I did with my 9810 and use the same amount of carrier data, averaging about 150 MB per month.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 04:27 PM
    I'm gonna try running it without receiving my emails, which in reality I don't need ASAP, can't live without Twitter though! To see what my useage is like
    01-12-14 04:33 PM
    It sounds to me like it's not using the wifi all the time. I would force it by disabling the radio. Obviously this means no calls, but it would give you a perspective on whether it's using cellular data instead of wifi.

Make sure you update your phone to the latest OS. A few of us noticed that the new phones love cellular data more than wifi. Also, in the first few days it would have used more data while it was synchronising your accounts.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 04:48 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I've had data turned off and wifi on all weekend, so by rights it shouldn't have used any data, yes?

And if I have data off and I'm not linked to wifi, I don't get BBMs is that right?
    01-12-14 04:54 PM
    It should be relatively easy to stay within your threshold. I had unlimited data for 3 months with Vodafone and each month I used plenty, since then I have been on 1GB limit and very rarely have I even been close to using 10% of the allowance. I turned all email to only sync manually, I keep a check on what apps want access to the Internet and I use wifi as often as possible so I only really end up using my data plan when on holiday or shopping.

BBM will use your data plan or wifi.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 05:26 PM
    Thank you, you have given me hope I can stay within the limit...as I do love this phone!
    01-12-14 06:02 PM
    If you want to do this you can disable carrier data without blocking calls or texts. Go into settings, Network Settings, Mobile Network, and turn off Data. Wi-Fi will still work.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 06:43 PM
    comparing my 9900 bold to my z10 was unreal i used 250mb once on my 9900 trying to break limits, with my z10 i average about 4gb altho i am never on wifi and have a 6gb plan so i have no issues with data.
    01-12-14 06:53 PM
    Thank you, I had data off all weekend as was attached to wifi, but when I go back to work tomorrow I really want BBM. I've set emails to sync manually and will try to restrict Twitter, I'll see how that goes
    01-12-14 06:55 PM
    Thank you, I had data off all weekend as was attached to wifi, but when I go back to work tomorrow I really want BBM. I've set emails to sync manually and will try to restrict Twitter, I'll see how that goes
    Hehe 'Try to restrict Twitter'.

'Using all my data allowance #OnBBM #Skiving'

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 07:08 PM
    Ok... You have me Sussed ; )
    oystersourced likes this.
    01-12-14 07:14 PM
    Check BlackBerry World for any apps that allow your data usage to be monitored. Might help.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 07:40 PM
    I have got Data Counter useage, which while on wifi has given me an idea what is using how much data
    01-13-14 01:42 AM
    You have two options.
    1. Take it back and see if they are willing to cancel the contract or up your allowances.
    2. Get add ons each month to supplement your data.

The q5 will eat data compared to your 8520.
    You simply are not on a contract suitable for the q5

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 05:26 AM
    The overusage charges will be more than them adding it fixed, possibly work deal with them?
    01-13-14 05:37 AM
    Enable twitter to text you any new tweets that come through. This way you don't have to always have twitter running and using up data, and you can check twitter when you are on wifi. The txt don't cost anything either, so there is no charge to you.

Whoosh! ? Z10 in action! ?
    01-13-14 05:37 AM
    Thanks for the rest of the replies, it is �5 for another 250MB per month, that may not even be enough and higher contract say paying another �11 pm still doesn't get you any more data Grrr.

You can close down Twitter totally and you still get the notifications or mentions, I assume this isn't classed as running in the background?

I am going to monitor the situation til the end of the week and then decide what to do...I'm no good at complaining in shops, but I think it may come to that
    01-13-14 07:47 AM
    If you still get notifications then the app is still running in the background (headless) and so will be using data. However if you don't then open the Twitter app to view the tweet then the data used would be much less than actually using the app.

You could turn notifications off and just check manually, that is what I have done for Facebook.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 12:31 PM
    Thanks for your reply. I've had data turned off and wifi on all weekend, so by rights it shouldn't have used any data, yes?

And if I have data off and I'm not linked to wifi, I don't get BBMs is that right?
    Correct and Correct

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925 O2 UK
    01-14-14 09:29 AM
38 12