Right now I have a pantech duo and i hate it. I have so many problems with it is very annoying to use.
    Heres some of my complaints:
    1. OS: Windows mobile has so many bugs it is unbearable. It freezes up alot and is really slow. I know its not just my phone because my friends with Blackjack II s have the same problem.

2.Battery Life: I can never go for more than a day with out charing it. I cant rely on it.

3. Build: This phone feels very cheap is annoying to use. The phone creaks when slide and is ackward in the hand.

4. Keyboard: This keyboard is ok but not great. you have to press hard and sometimes more than once for it to type that letter.

Those are all the complaints i can think of roght now.

Ive done alot of reseach on Blackberrys and the Bold and i really want one. I know all about the bold and am very familiar with the os (bold simulator on the pc) and i absolutely love it.

I dont have school Nov 4 and i reallywant to buy the Bold.
    I have money ready to spend that i have got from working over the summer but there is 1 problem:

My Parents!

They dont understand why the bold is so much better than the duo. They are both treo users and all they use it for are making 1 or 2 phone calls a day and thats it. i text alot and use my email on my phone and the duo is very unreliable. i get alot of texts a day after its sent and now my email doesnt even work. I try to use the calendar to keep up with school and work but it wont sync with my pc and reminders dont work.
    All I want is a stable phone which is why want a blackberry.
    My parents dont understand why i need to use a phone to keep me organized. i have the money but my parents refuse to let me spend it on the bold.

When I first became a smartphone user (from a razr) i loved every bit but then every small detail that the blackberry has better than windows mobile started to stick out. When i went in to the att store the employee kept taking me to the duo and saying how good it was (this was the week it came out). when i would walk over to the curve she would grab me back to the duo saying it was better than blackberry. I caved in to her and bought the phone.

I created this thread so i could get some help on convincing my parents to let me have a bold. Money is not an issue and i work hard. Im 16 yrs old, i help around the house and i worked each summer for a hotel company creating websites, workflow systems and much more (im very smart. i know tons on programming.)
    So please help.
    Sorry for any typos. im doing this on my duo. took me about 30 minutes to type.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-02-08 10:37 PM
    Right now I have a pantech duo and i hate it. I have so many problems with it is very annoying to use.
    Heres some of my complaints:
    1. OS: Windows mobile has so many bugs it is unbearable. It freezes up alot and is really slow. I know its not just my phone because my friends with Blackjack II s have the same problem.

2.Battery Life: I can never go for more than a day with out charing it. I cant rely on it.

3. Build: This phone feels very cheap is annoying to use. The phone creaks when slide and is ackward in the hand.

4. Keyboard: This keyboard is ok but not great. you have to press hard and sometimes more than once for it to type that letter.

Those are all the complaints i can think of roght now.

Ive done alot of reseach on Blackberrys and the Bold and i really want one. I know all about the bold and am very familiar with the os (bold simulator on the pc) and i absolutely love it.

I dont have school Nov 4 and i reallywant to buy the Bold.
    I have money ready to spend that i have got from working over the summer but there is 1 problem:

My Parents!

They dont understand why the bold is so much better than the duo. They are both treo users and all they use it for are making 1 or 2 phone calls a day and thats it. i text alot and use my email on my phone and the duo is very unreliable. i get alot of texts a day after its sent and now my email doesnt even work. I try to use the calendar to keep up with school and work but it wont sync with my pc and reminders dont work.
    All I want is a stable phone which is why want a blackberry.
    My parents dont understand why i need to use a phone to keep me organized. i have the money but my parents refuse to let me spend it on the bold.

When I first became a smartphone user (from a razr) i loved every bit but then every small detail that the blackberry has better than windows mobile started to stick out. When i went in to the att store the employee kept taking me to the duo and saying how good it was (this was the week it came out). when i would walk over to the curve she would grab me back to the duo saying it was better than blackberry. I caved in to her and bought the phone.

I created this thread so i could get some help on convincing my parents to let me have a bold. Money is not an issue and i work hard. Im 16 yrs old, i help around the house and i worked each summer for a hotel company creating websites, workflow systems and much more (im very smart. i know tons on programming.)
    So please help.
    Sorry for any typos. im doing this on my duo. took me about 30 minutes to type.

Tho BB Bold is a wonderful device, I must say your device is not that good for any platform. You didn't compare two devices on the same level because Pantech Duo is far from good in terms of its hardware. You should try WinMo on AT&T Tilt (aka HTC TyTN II, HTC Kaiser) first to try to determine if WinMo or BB Bold is more suitable for you.
    11-02-08 10:41 PM
    so that must suck typing that out on a duo

1. the os is very stable and secure wouldn't want it any other way
    2.battery life for me on my bold is a good two days with lots of usage
    3. The phone is big but it is also light it feels great in the hand is just a pleasure to use
    4. keyboard, well its a blackberry the keyboard is the best I have seen on a bb yet and that says a lot
    5. syncs great with pc's using the software provided
    6. syncing with calender services is really easy using the software provided for outlook and some other calenders or you can wirelessly sync with google calender
    11-02-08 10:41 PM
    carry a charger lol that fixes the battery part but everything else sounds like you need a real phone! get a blackberry or a iphone
    11-02-08 10:45 PM
    i have actually played with windows mobile on the tilt at the att store and it is more stable than mine but than the bulk of the tilt is made me walk away from it. The tilt is very thick and doesnt seem to capable of fitting in jean pockets. the bold seems thin enough to fit. i ve played with the 8800 s and the size was fine with me on that so the bold should be good. im pretty set on the bold but i js have to convince my parents still. Any help would be appreciated.

11-02-08 10:51 PM
    Think you should Try an Iphone.... And I can help you with that
    11-02-08 10:54 PM
    I'd get the bold. Its not like you're asking for a new toy. You need a phone that functions and keeps you organized. The bold is a smart choice.

11-03-08 01:15 AM
    i have actually played with windows mobile on the tilt at the att store and it is more stable than mine but than the bulk of the tilt is made me walk away from it. The tilt is very thick and doesnt seem to capable of fitting in jean pockets. the bold seems thin enough to fit. i ve played with the 8800 s and the size was fine with me on that so the bold should be good. im pretty set on the bold but i js have to convince my parents still. Any help would be appreciated.

If you are still in college, tell them you are involved in various leadership activities on campus and you need to check email to be updated constantly... plus you need a good organizer to keep you up with the school work.. lol
    11-03-08 01:27 AM

Well....

But anyway, actually I still think those are just excuses... Lol. WinMo can also do that and you don't have to pick up something too fancy. For example Moto Q9 or Blackjack2/3 or just BB Curve will be enough for your daily use.

So... Just tell them you want it because it looks fantastic. shopaholic

EDIT: Or you can tell you parents you wanna do good to US economy by spending/consuming more!!!
    Last edited by dwadwa; 11-03-08 at 01:37 AM.
    11-03-08 01:30 AM
    The thing is - you don't NEED a Bold. None of us do. And if you had a Curve you would be much better off - even with 2G.

This is a family politics issue, not a device issue. You could print off Bold reviews from the Internet, with lots of good info there and try to convince them. But the issue is that you are 16 and not in control of your money right now. When I was 16, I managed my own spending.

The Bold is a side issue, not the main one.
    11-03-08 06:05 PM
    I unhappy with windows mobile and i would rather not pick another windows mobile and be stuck with it. I have considered the curve but it isn't 3g and even my Duo has 3g.
    I would rather invest in a phone that will be useful for a while. I ll have another 2 years before I can upgrade again.
    11-03-08 06:57 PM
    The thing is - you don't NEED a Bold. None of us do. And if you had a Curve you would be much better off - even with 2G.

This is a family politics issue, not a device issue. You could print off Bold reviews from the Internet, with lots of good info there and try to convince them. But the issue is that you are 16 and not in control of your money right now. When I was 16, I managed my own spending.

The Bold is a side issue, not the main one.
    I understand what you are saying but it really isnt about the bold, its about a new phone. I could tell them I wanted a razr and they would still say no. The thing is they dont understand why having a stable phone is important in keeping on task. I manage my money now, but they dont want me to spend my money on a new phone when i can make calls (recieving calls works 5% of the time. I could walk into a store and buy a phone, but I live in the same house so I couldnt get away with them not noticing that I bought a new phone. Therefore I m not buying one until they say yes.

All I m really looking for is good reasons why Blackberry s are stable and effective to give to my parents.
    11-03-08 07:37 PM
    I understand what you are saying but it really isnt about the bold, its about a new phone. I could tell them I wanted a razr and they would still say no. The thing is they dont understand why having a stable phone is important in keeping on task. I manage my money now, but they dont want me to spend my money on a new phone when i can make calls (recieving calls works 5% of the time. I could walk into a store and buy a phone, but I live in the same house so I couldnt get away with them not noticing that I bought a new phone. Therefore I m not buying one until they say yes.

All I m really looking for is good reasons why Blackberry s are stable and effective to give to my parents.
    think a simple Nokia will be good for u.
    11-03-08 08:10 PM
    If you were my child I would be giving you the same line. You're 16 years old. I own the air you breathe. I don't care if it is your money. You don't NEED a phone. You don't NEED a phone to keep your organized. People used to used something called a calendar or an agenda (you get those free in school) to keep themselves on task. You don't need to be texting or emailing people all day you need to be studying. I would tell you that if you spent half as much time studying as you did trying to convince me to let you have a new phone you're grades would be better. And if you kept arguing with me, I would take away the phone you have now until you learned to appreciate the things that you DO have instead of complaining about the things that you DON'T have.

^ Just in case you wanted to see if from a parents perspective.
    11-03-08 08:18 PM
    Well I am a parent too and I would not manage the situation like Smash. I do care if it is your money, and I do believe you can make decisions about how to spend it, and I do not believe that I own the air you breathe.

But all that is neither here nor there. Do some research and present your case and then, if they don't agree, they don't agree, and you have done what you could. Pretty sure this forum won't open the door for you, though.
    11-03-08 08:26 PM
    we don't have to be mean to him...lol...

But...realistically..my first BB was when I got my first real job at a small property management firm...it was a 7100.

I'm still at the same company, in my mid 20's and just got a Bold today...

Point is...that at 16...I had a Nokia candy bar phone, with the mono chrome screen...the best thing on the device was Snake...does everyone remember Snake?

I think there's a lot of devices out there that are less expensive that you could purchase..
    Last edited by amazzajr; 11-03-08 at 10:15 PM.
    11-03-08 10:12 PM
    You are my hero, if more parents had your attitude this country ( US) would be a much better place.

If you were my child I would be giving you the same line. You're 16 years old. I own the air you breathe. I don't care if it is your money. You don't NEED a phone. You don't NEED a phone to keep your organized. People used to used something called a calendar or an agenda (you get those free in school) to keep themselves on task. You don't need to be texting or emailing people all day you need to be studying. I would tell you that if you spent half as much time studying as you did trying to convince me to let you have a new phone you're grades would be better. And if you kept arguing with me, I would take away the phone you have now until you learned to appreciate the things that you DO have instead of complaining about the things that you DON'T have.

^ Just in case you wanted to see if from a parents perspective.
    11-03-08 10:23 PM
    i appreciate everyones response. i m going to present my case and go with what ever happens. i understand what everyone is saying and i will see what happens. i ll find out tommorow!!

11-03-08 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD