Was wondering if anyone else experienced the same problem. I got my Z30 a couple days ago. Cutting to the chase, the volume rockers and play button are terrible. Loose with little tactile feedback on the volume keys and no tactile feedback at all on the play button. My hand can just brush up against it and it would engage. The Z10 is solid build quality but this Z30 is a big disappointment.
    In fact. All I have to to is slightly squeeze on the casing where the play button is. With the same force I regularly use for my z10 rockeys rocker keys. And it activates it!!! So frustrated

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 04:26 AM
    Sounds like a manufacturing defect

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 04:34 AM
    I have to admit the Volume and play buttons do have a lot of play on mine, but not to the extent that putting pressure on the back cover activate them. Try reseating the back cover and see if that makes a difference.
    01-12-14 05:53 AM
    Mine are ultra sensitive.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 06:17 AM
    I have to admit the Volume and play buttons do have a lot of play on mine, but not to the extent that putting pressure on the back cover activate them. Try reseating the back cover and see if that makes a difference.
    I've tried popping off the back cover and re-seating it. But it doesn't get any better. With the back cover off there is noticeably more tactile feedback from the buttons though

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 08:24 AM
    Any other z30 owners able to comment? I'm trying to gauge how normal this is

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 12:33 PM
    Any other z30 owners able to comment? I'm trying to gauge how normal this is

Posted via CB10
    My keys were super sensitive but they are now in an OttorBox Defender series so that issue's bbeen dealt with for me.. There was a thread a while back about putting a small piece of tape under the back cover up along the side of the keys which seemed to resolve the issue for several people in the thread but I feel like that's a(pardon the pun) bandaid solution to a problem that shouldn't be there in the first place. Not for the price they are charging for the device.

but I guess to answer your questions it sounds like it's a design defect but would likely fall best under poor build quality.
    01-13-14 12:48 PM
    My buttons aren't sensitive at all.
    tufcustomer likes this.
    01-13-14 01:36 PM
    There's a post on here outlining how to deal with that. Can't remember the exact title now but it's here. Mine has no issues btw and this is the second unit I'm on. First one is now on Tmo so the love just keeps spreading

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 04:26 PM
    My keys have been fine thus far. I do have my phone in an otterbox but had my phone without for a few weeks and it was fine

Posted via my Z30
    01-13-14 05:23 PM
    I think its really common to have loose volume rocker keys....lots of rattle.

I fixed my rattle by placing some scotch tape under the cover door and nudging it up against the keys....this eliminated the movement of the keys which got rid of the rattle when I put the cover back on.

As for squeezing the bezel of the phone to mute the media.....that seems kind of brutal, I would claim a warranty on that in a heartbeat.
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-13-14 05:33 PM
    Mine are pretty lose.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 06:53 PM
    Thanks for the response all. I've reached out to support to see if they will help me.

My keys don't rattle, but are ridiculously sensitive. No tactile feedback? That has to be a defect. The play/pause squeeze as per the video in my first post? As you can see it didn't take my much force. Can't be right. I actually tried the tape method in the other thread. It didn't help at all. I think that only helps with rattle-- if it exists. Mine are just like jello.
    01-13-14 10:02 PM
    I was reluctant to buy a Z30 because of this reason ! I gave in 3 weeks ago got a white one not sure if it makes a difference but mine are as tight or feel the same as my z10. Maybe because it's still new not sure.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 11:07 PM
    By the sound of some responses, it seems like the manufacturing date seems to affect the quality of the buttons. My guess is that my unit that I bought straight from BBRY is the early built, left over stock.

I was reluctant to buy a Z30 because of this reason ! I gave in 3 weeks ago got a white one not sure if it makes a difference but mine are as tight or feel the same as my z10. Maybe because it's still new not sure.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 11:46 PM
    I just got my replacement unit (a longer process because of EPP purchase).
    The buttons are hugely improved over the original unit I had. There is decent tactile feedback now. Not as stiff as the Z10, but in this form, it is useable! hurray!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-08-14 07:59 AM
    Mine are good, not to sensitive.
    02-08-14 09:34 PM
    Mine were sensitive depending how I put the case on, now I have the flip case there perfect not loose or stiff.

Z30 - The Final Destination - Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos
    02-08-14 11:34 PM
    Mine are wayyy too sensitive. Annoying to say the least..... how embarrassing to release a phone with such an obvious defect. I ended up putting an otterbox case on mine and that stiffens it up just perfect. I was almost ready to retire the phone I was so frustrated with it...

Posted via CB10
    02-08-14 11:40 PM
    Mine are also sensitive, I also keep activating voice control. How do I get rid of that? How do I remove the center button from using voice control?
    02-09-14 12:07 AM
    Mine are also sensitive, I also keep activating voice control. How do I get rid of that? How do I remove the center button from using voice control?
    Go to settings
    Then voice control
    Then slide the open with mute key to the off position

Posted via CB10
    heading4tomorrow likes this.
    02-09-14 12:59 AM
    my keys are a little loose, but feedback is fine.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 01:25 AM
    Mine isn't loose or sensitive at all. It's just as stiff as I would like it. Better than the Z10's in my opinion.
    Sta100-2

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 01:48 AM
    Sad to say it, but it's actually their worst executed device of their bb10 line up.

The Q5, which is a very nicely built device for what it is, does have an issue with the top power button being too recessed, such that you have to press it more than once (or unusually hard) - either way, u have to use more effort to activate the power button than you do on the other devices.

The Q10 is very nicely designed and built, as is the Z10. Both phones very tight and solid.

The Z30, while overall is their nicest phone, has these small details which makes it very disappointing when you think about it.

The overly sensitive buttons which the OP mentions appears to be an issue for a sizeable amount of users.

There is the issue of the "faux SD slot" that sticks out, instead of sitting tight and flush with the rest of the phone.

There is the very difficult process of removing the back cover - why they didn't just design it like the Q5 with the little slot, is beyond me. You can't replace the battery and yet they make you remove the cover to insert your SIM and SD - and then make it a huge chore to do so, prompting some users to use screw drivers etc who end up damaging their covers.

The details spill over into their cases. The transform cases feel cheap compared to the Z10 versions AND not only that, but the kick stand function doesn't even work properly. The white cases gets dirty (the one for Z10 does not).

Their flip shells, while look and feel nice, are the worst built cases as a flip case. Once you start using them, the cover doesn't close all the way to touch the screen, you have to place the phone facing down on a table, other wise the cover stays jarred open. Sorta defeats the purpose. The flip shells for the Q and Z10 did not have this problem. Best way to describe it - it's like the difference b/w a paperback and a hardcover novel - after reading the paperback the cover stays jarred open from being bent backwards...same thing for the Z30 case.

Last detail - they ship the white Z30 with black headphones. Not to sound picky but i think if you're trying to maintain a premium brand image (which is why they're pricing is so high), the small details like shipping matching headphones matter. They shipped white headphones with the white Q10 - they could've easily done it with their flagship.

It's still the best phone but it's also the one that i have the most to complain about - b/c when it comes to the high end stuff, which they're claiming it to be, it's ALL IN THE LITTLE DETAILS.

These small issues make me think that no one gave a crap about the release of the phone. And judging from the total lack of marketing, I'm guessing this must be the case.

Posted via CB10
    LooyDaSixteenth and dannykavs like this.
    02-09-14 02:28 AM
    ^^
    I actually agree on most if not al your points. Though I'm pretty sure the rationale for the z30 having these specific issues is because at the time they already decided that they were in such huge trouble and pulling back on consumer side. Cases and these types of accessories are not typically found on corporate Users phone. I can't recall the last time I saw someone with a work issued phone that had extra stuff on it, can you?

The transform case, while decent, feels like it's unfinished compared to the z10's.

Posted via CB10
    02-09-14 09:30 PM
59 123