Developers Confirm Blackberry World will Soon be Accepting Android Apps

FWIW:

Major game and app development companies are being approached by Blackberry to submit their apps to a new section on Blackberry World. In the past, Blackberry only accepted apps done using their own proprietary format. In the near future Blackberry will be releasing a new firmware update that will allow users to install Android apps (apk) files directly on their phone. To gear up for this transition, Blackberry will be offering Android apps for direct download in their online app store.

At least four different game development companies at Pepcom and CES confirmed to Good e-Reader that they have been approached by Blackberry to include their productivity and gaming apps into Blackberry World. This basically requires no work on the developers part who have an existing Android app that is compatible on 4-6 inch smartphones. All the studios/developers have to do is make a new profile and submit icons/screenshots and app descriptions. Blackberry owners will be able to download and install them the same way they have been downloading apps since Blackberry 10 was released.

Blackberry is betting big on the 10.3 firmware update that will allow native android apps to work on the Q5, Q10, Z10 and Z30. This will allow your average user to install whatever they want and not be limited. The Good e-Reader labs tested an early build of this update on the Z10 and installed our own Good e-Reader App Store. I was able to install and run every app we had. This is going to be a serious boon for people who have been let down by the dirge of apps until this point on Blackberry World.

There is no estimated date when the new firmware update will be pushed out. Some companies have confirmed that its basically all done, but Blackberry is waiting to have at least 10,000 Android apps in their library before they start a marketing campaign.
    01-11-14 10:28 AM
    I wish people would learn what firmware is and not use it to describe an OS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmware
    01-11-14 10:34 AM
    Lol at 10.3 when its in 10.2.1

Sent from my Yellow Nokia Lumia 1020
    01-11-14 10:35 AM
    The guy at Ereader who wrote that article is not too bright.
    01-11-14 10:39 AM
    Why else would BlackBerry let us directly download apk's on our phone?

For all the ex-sideloaders? Lol

They will have control over this, it's a building block. This is why you will never see the "snap" app in BlackBerry World.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 10:52 AM
    So putting the OS version number aside do we think this is actually true and or happening? If so when she we possibly expect it???
    wehttam likes this.
    01-11-14 11:07 AM
    So putting the OS version number aside do we think this is actually true and or happening? If so when she we possibly expect it???
    Um, of course it true since in the leaks now 10.2.1 you can install .apk's directly now

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 11:13 AM
    Um, of course it true since in the leaks now 10.2.1 you can install .apk's directly now

Posted via CB10
    I think the question asked is will BBRY really allow Android devs to submit apk files to Blackberry World when they are still officially saying they prefer bar file submissions.
    Superfly_FR and NickMcBride like this.
    01-11-14 11:31 AM
    I think the question asked is will BBRY really allow Android devs to submit apk files to Blackberry World when they are still officially saying they prefer bar file submissions.
    They may prefer bar file submission but they can still open up to apk as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 11:44 AM
    Just because of 10.3 I'm not going to take this seriously

CLICK HERE To Join My Music & Poetry Channel. Please&Thanks.
    Superfly_FR, eldricho and Jrox74 like this.
    01-11-14 11:52 AM
    Sorry for the dup, Corbu.

Answer from Alec Saunders ;
    Devs Confirm BlackBerry World Soon Accepting Android Apps-capture.png

So, it's a no, I guess.
    bungaboy, Anilu7, badiyee and 7 others like this.
    01-11-14 12:01 PM
    So now our new apps section can contain a million map apps in 2 flavours, native and android.

Also "app for android version of "x" and app for app "x"
    All for a dollar or more and does nothing.

-sigh-

Being able to filter between android and regular would be nice, but we need to be able to filter more. Maybe by ratings or number of reviews as well.

Posted from the Shield Helicarrier - via Z30
    eldricho and FF22 like this.
    01-11-14 12:04 PM
    Developers Confirm Blackberry World will Soon be Accepting Android Apps

FWIW: Did they actually say BB is going to start a marketing campaign??

GRojasHruska likes this.
    01-11-14 12:10 PM
    Sorry for the dup, Corbu.

Answer from Alec Saunders ;
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	4820 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	237765

So, it's a no, I guess.
    Well if they aren't ready to introduce it officially then that is his likely response. So he may be telling it like it is or just denying because he has to.

Posted via CB10
    mago72 likes this.
    01-11-14 12:12 PM
    Alec's comment makes no sense. You currently can do apk submission in bar format already
    I fail to see what he means by direct apk submission, BUT still in bar format
    I wonder whether you can submit apk directly, but the process will convert to bar automatically during the upload to BBW?
    Seems feasible, but that's just a speculation
    m1kr0, Loc22, Djlatino and 1 others like this.
    01-11-14 12:17 PM
    Why is the 10.3 so strange? I'm on 10.2.1.1925 and it has some major bugs as well as issues with several android apps

Posted via CB10
    mago72 likes this.
    01-11-14 12:26 PM
    Yay more Android ports -.-.... Making me not want a BlackBerry anymore
    Q10Bold and Saiga like this.
    01-11-14 12:29 PM
    Why is the 10.3 so strange? I'm on 10.2.1.1925 and it has some major bugs as well as issues with several android apps

Posted via CB10
    Why skip 10.2.2, 10.2.3 etc?

Lots of versions available before 10.3.

Usually the importance of the release including new features is what determines which part of the version# is incremented with the final section reserved for build number. Bug fixes do not warrant 10.3.
    01-11-14 12:32 PM
    Alec's comment makes no sense. You currently can do apk submission in bar format already
    I wonder whether you can submit apk directly, but the process will convert to bar automatically during the upload to BBW?

BlackBerry already has a online apk to bar converter on their dev site. Been there since day one.

So yes his comments make no sense what so ever

tbims01 and thatplaybookguy like this.
    01-11-14 12:33 PM
    BlackBerry already has a online apk to bar converter on their dev site. Been there since day one.

That's why I think if there is any truth to this rumor that his response was the generic denial till they are ready to implement and discuss publicly.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 12:35 PM

No, they don't support the online converter anymore.
    Superfly_FR and mago72 like this.
    01-11-14 12:43 PM
    No, they don't support the online converter anymore.
    It's a hit and miss now. Kris is correct, it is there
    But half the time it doesn't work correctly rofl
    01-11-14 12:45 PM
    Not for a while anymore.
    online apk to bar tester? - BlackBerry Support Community Forums
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-11-14 12:46 PM
    This statement is the same he made in the interview with Kevin ... but with the140 chars limit

Talking OS 10.2.1 and Android apps on BB10 FAQ, w/ BlackBerry's Alec Saunders | CrackBerry.com
    Q2. What's this mean for BlackBerry World and BlackBerry app developers?
    A2. Nothing changes here in terms of BlackBerry's initiatives and effort in supporting native BlackBerry app developers and in growing BlackBerry App World. Alec told us that if anything, BlackBerry World can be viewed as more curated, vetted experience. Apps that appear in BlackBerry World need to be signed (and even Android .apks still need to first be converted to .bar files before being submitted by developers to App World).

Alec strongly delivered to us the message that in "no way are we backing away from native developers" and that "customers want the signature BlackBerry experience". What it boils to down is that while BlackBerry will continue to push hard to build out their BlackBerry 10 app ecosystem and work to foster a thriving BlackBerry 10 app developer community, in the meantime for eager customers who want their apps, they will be able to get them via Android .apks.
    So, I'd take the "nothing changes here" as it is.
    Corbu likes this.
    01-11-14 12:52 PM
    This statement is the same he made in the interview with Kevin ... but with the140 chars limit

Talking OS 10.2.1 and Android apps on BB10 FAQ, w/ BlackBerry's Alec Saunders | CrackBerry.com

So, I'd take the "nothing changes here" as it is.
    Yah, well Kevin can't say more than half the stuff he knows because of his NDA, so I wouldn't take his word for much these days
    I trust the internal sources and leaks we hear more than CB these days tbh because most people in CB have NDA preventing them from saying much
    SteelGreek likes this.
    01-11-14 01:00 PM
172 123 ...