I'm starting to wonder - because of T-Mo taking BB10 off their shelves, if we will ever see wifi calling on 10.2.x.xxxx.

Anyone have any insider information?
    01-11-14 10:12 AM
    Not sure why everyone wants this so bad, half the time I try to call the few people I work with that have Wifi calling turned on on their Android phones the call quality sucks, and half the time the calls don't go through. T-mo might be cheaper than Verizon or att, but you get what you pay for sometimes.

Posted via CB10, Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.1925
    NightSlayer likes this.
    01-11-14 10:41 AM
    wow, thanks so much for the response i didn't want or ask for. so glad i could waste my time reading it. thanks to you, now i know that wifi calling will come out when T-mo might be cheaper than Verizon or att, but you get what you pay for sometimes. Great help!

oh wait verizon and att don't get good reception in my basement either.

oh wait even longer, wifi calling was excellent on my other devices.
    01-11-14 10:42 AM
    Not trying to troll, just have never had any good experiences with Wifi calling.

01-11-14 10:44 AM
    wifi calling has been awsome everywhere I go from Massachussettes to Chicago to Wisconsin to Serbia. It has been crystal clear. I too am waiting for TMO to bring back wifi calling.
    citystars41 likes this.
    01-11-14 10:49 AM
    Wifi calling works incredibly well for me when traveling internationally to avoid roaming.

Posted via CB10
    AlwaysActions likes this.
    01-11-14 11:09 AM
    I would think that once tmo launches 10.2 officially it will work with their official build.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 11:22 AM
    I would think that once tmo launches 10.2 officially it will work with their official build.

Posted via CB10
    I'm hoping the USA carriers will update straight to 10.2.1.

In the mean time BBM looks like they're moving fast with the voice enabled updates.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 CB10
    01-11-14 11:26 AM
    The only reason calling via wifi is if you do not have a god plan. I'm from Sweden and basically everybody have a plan with free calling. I pay.35 USD/month and I can call as much I can in Sweden, send as many SMSES I want all over the world and 6 GB of data. When I call abroad I normally use Skype or another service that makes it cheaper to call per minute. What you call wifi calling we do not have it here in Sweden

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 11:28 AM
    The only reason calling via wifi is if you do not have a god plan. I'm from Sweden and basically everybody have a plan with free calling. I pay.35 USD/month and I can call as much I can in Sweden, send as many SMSES I want all over the world and 6 GB of data. When I call abroad I normally use Skype or another service that makes it cheaper to call per minute. What you call wifi calling we do not have it here in Sweden

Posted via CB10
    in the USA, we are able to make calls over our wireless internet if we are in an area that is somewhat lacking in coverage/service.
    01-11-14 11:48 AM
    I don't really get this wifi calling thing. I know for sure that if you have BBM it's possible to do that even with the older BBM version on legacy devices.

I heard that wifi calling on BBM cross platform will be available within weeks to Android & iOS devices.

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 12:29 PM
    I live in an area with poor signal and one of the big things for me when I used to have UMA/wifi calling was that all my calls and texts would use my home wifi to get to my carrier, and then out in the normal way at no extra cost.

The alternative is having to find a part of my house where the signal is strong enough, which is where I am now as Orange UK don't support it on BB10

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925
    01-11-14 12:41 PM
    I don't really get this wifi calling thing. I know for sure that if you have BBM it's possible to do that even with the older BBM version on legacy devices.

I heard that wifi calling on BBM cross platform will be available within weeks to Android & iOS devices.

Posted via CB10
    The benefit of Wi-Fi calling is that someone can call/text your phone number in an area where the only reception you get is Wi-Fi...such as in the basement, or in the mountains and possibly on an airplane.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925 CB10
    01-11-14 01:37 PM
    Not trying to troll, just have never had any good experiences with Wifi calling.

Wi-Fi calling on my Bold9900 was never as good as UMA (aka GAN) on my Bold9700 (on UMA the call quality was excellent, eg much better than on Wi-Fi calling - and also UMA would automatically handover to a cell tower as soon as you started to lose connection with the router)

This type of functionality saved me an absolute fortune when travelling abroad ($100's/week when I was in the US) and made my life much easier when visiting friends and family who do not live in areas with good mobile coverage

Bring back UMA (aka GAN)!
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 01-12-14 at 05:46 AM. Reason: clarification
    01-11-14 01:53 PM
    Since T-Mobile for Business supports BlackBerry 10 still, and they just launched the BES10 Cloud services...I think we might see Wi-Fi Calling be around for a while. It's currently in BlackBerry World under For Business, so maybe they'll improve it someday.

I really like this feature. T-Mobile has gotten better in my house with their LTE rollout in the LA area, but Wi-Fi calling always worked so well and the call quality was excellent. I don't know what people are talking about..

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 01:58 PM
    My experience with wifi calling on my Z10 has been amazingly good. MUCH better than previous BlackBerry handsets.

While I no longer have poor signal at home, I do travel internationally a lot and wifi calling is a godsend when out of the country

Posted via CB10
    01-11-14 04:56 PM
    Not sure why everyone wants this so bad, half the time I try to call the few people I work with that have Wifi calling turned on on their Android phones the call quality sucks, and half the time the calls don't go through. T-mo might be cheaper than Verizon or att, but you get what you pay for sometimes.

But why people want it? It's quite simple.

Buggy and poor quality calls are still better than no calls at all. I don't get good signal at my place. To T-Mobile's defense, when I was on Sprint I required a signal booster for my place. I had Verizon for a while and the signal was WORSE than Sprint (until they put up another tower, so now it's on par with Sprint). AT&T was the only carrier that had decent signal where I'm at.

If I don't have WiFi calling, I can't make calls in half my condo. My battery will drain in hours due to it constantly trying to find signal.

And lest you think I live in a small city; I don't. I live in the 2nd largest city in the US. Obviously if you don't need WiFi calling, it's useless. If I didn't need WiFi calling, I'd have installed leaks months ago. :-(

Edit: Oh that said, it is super buggy on my phone. I have to reset my phone sometimes to get it to connect.
    01-11-14 05:06 PM
    Thanks, now I understand what this is. Well I saw an interview from CES saying that BBM voice will be available to Android & iOS within weeks. Perhaps you don't need wifi calling anymore.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 03:34 AM
    The wifi calling qe're talking about is NOT the same as BBM wifi calling. BBM can only do voice with another BBM app.

The wifi calling we're talking about is calling to ANY phone in the world - mobile or landline.

And if traveling internationally, as long as you have access to a wifi hot spot, all incoming calls are billed as if you're in your home country and any outgoing calls are billed as if you're in your home country. So calling charges are dramatically reduced!

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-12-14 04:21 AM

Wish we could down vote you

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    01-12-14 04:30 AM
    The wifi calling qe're talking about is NOT the same as BBM wifi calling. BBM can only do voice with another BBM app.

The wifi calling we're talking about is calling to ANY phone in the world - mobile or landline.

And if traveling internationally, as long as you have access to a wifi hot spot, all incoming calls are billed as if you're in your home country and any outgoing calls are billed as if you're in your home country. So calling charges are dramatically reduced!

Posted via CB10
    I understand what you are asking for but the question is if you can make a free call why pay for it? For those that you cannot have for free just pay. I'm sure in the long run it will be much cheaper. In any case how many people still use land lines these days? It's already obsolete for years.

I only use my land line to get access to broadband in my house or office and faxes.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 12:11 PM
    Wi-Fi calling feature is authorized through your carrier, so whether or not it's something BlackBerry 10 consumers will see is upon your carriers discretion. Hopefully we will along with future updates.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 12:24 PM
    To Loc22...

Have you ever traveled internationally and then discover you've accumulated several hundred dollars of additional mobile bill from just one week outside of the country?

You may not mind paying those charges but I for one need wifi calling to save those dollars.

And as I said in my post, this isn't just about calling landlines - it's about calling ANY phone...regardless of whether them other person happens to have Skype, BBM, or any other voice app.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 12:31 PM
    To Loc22...

Have you ever traveled internationally and then discover you've accumulated several hundred dollars of additional mobile bill from just one week outside of the country?

You may not mind paying those charges but I for one need wifi calling to save those dollars.

And as I said in my post, this isn't just about calling landlines - it's about calling ANY phone...regardless of whether them other person happens to have Skype, BBM, or any other voice app.

Posted via CB10
    Yep - completely agree with you. For many UK phone contracts it is >$0.80 per minute to make or receive a call when in the States, and even with a special pre-pay deal (eg where you pay an up-front one-off fee covering your time abroad to get discounted calls) it is still usually >$0.50 per minute. When I am travelling it is a rare workday when I don't have at least 90 minutes of received calls - eg very easy to clock up hundreds of dollars of mobile phone bills in a week.

Helpful tip for those of you staying in hotels where the hotel internet blocks Wi-Fi calling from your BlackBerry - Denny's has free and open internet (and the one on the Las Vegas Strip near the Stratosphere always has a good signal and lots of bandwidth!)
    Last edited by BigAl_BB9900; 01-12-14 at 01:54 PM. Reason: clarification
    01-12-14 01:52 PM
    I'm on O2 in the UK and I wanted the O2 App for WiFi calling. It's called TuGo. It is not available for BlackBerry 10 so I simply installed the 1925 leak and downloaded the Android version. It works fine. If you really need it, make it happen. The tools are there and it's simple to do.

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.1925 O2 UK
    01-12-14 02:16 PM
36 12