Attempted to delete all files in the /Pictures and /pictures folders (which contained identical pictures)... but in both cases got the message "Unable to delete files...Permission denied". Surprisingly, the pictures were actually deleted (OK, what I wanted)... however, so were all of the photos in my main Device/photos folder (the photos I intentionally wanted to preserve!). Does anyone know of a way to recover the Device/photos files in this case? All I have is a VZW memory card (no extra microSD card)...and unfortunately I only backed up a small percentage of the photos lost. Please help! Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by btk_1; 01-10-14 at 12:59 PM.
    01-10-14 12:19 AM
    Yes. You shouldn't touch anything in the Android folder. The folders in there are clones of the folders on your phone and your SD card. This allows Android apps to work properly and to access your files. Whatever you delete from within the Android folder gets deleted everywhere.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

9700 ~ 9900 ~ Z10 ~ Z30
    00stryder likes this.
    01-10-14 12:22 AM
    Shifty, it appears that you may be correct. If so, BlackBerry needs to preserve the cloned files if you attempt to delete them...in line with the Permission Denied message that the software presents. Still wondering if I have any possible chance to recover those cloned/deleted(?) photos?

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 12:35 AM
    Yes. You shouldn't touch anything in the Android folder. The folders in there are clones of the folders on your phone and your SD card. This allows Android apps to work properly and to access your files. Whatever you delete from within the Android folder gets deleted everywhere.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

9700 ~ 9900 ~ Z10 ~ Z30
    Nope, found that out the hard way too. Luckily I use my SD card for media so the delete only affected my device photos folder. (You can do the same to files on an SD card though so be careful!)

OP, if you have a recent backup that's your best bet, but I don't think any task managers or even Ghost Commander can restore deleted files, though they're likely still archived somewhere on the device memory.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 12:37 AM
    00stryder, since you say the deleted files are likely still archived somewhere in device memory... I'm thinking my only option is to present the phone to someone at my local VZW store. However, since the store doesn't even sell the Z30 (they just have a single display unit)... more than likely they won't even know where to start to uncover the files. Of course, I may be wrong and their ability to mine device memory might be adequate. Do you think I'll be wasting my time... thanks!
    01-10-14 09:10 AM
    00stryder, since you say the deleted files are likely still archived somewhere in device memory... I'm thinking my only option is to present the phone to someone at my local VZW store. However, since the store doesn't even sell the Z30 (they just have a single display unit)... more than likely they won't even know where to start to uncover the files. Of course, I may be wrong and their ability to mine device memory might be adequate. Do you think I'll be wasting my time... thanks!
    I'm not even sure if the reps at a local carrier store would have the expertise to help you recover lost files on your device (I didn't even know that they could do that for any device on any of the major platforms).

My best bet would be that you'd have better support calling into BlackBerry Customer Support and seeing if they can help you resolve it. They're often hit-and-miss, but they'd likely have a better understanding of the OS and its limitations than a VZW sales rep.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 09:21 AM
    Does the computer read it as a drive? Would some pc file recovery tool work?
    01-10-14 09:52 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply 00stryder! I previously called Blackberry support and it did turn out to be hit or miss. The representative looked into the issue but didn't offer any recovery solution. I think I'll try a second time... and maybe I'll get a different representative who has some knowledge of working with the device memory.

NOTE to Blackberry:
    Please update the OS to not allow the deletion of files in the Device/misc/android folder... which will result in alignment with the error message "Unable to delete files... permission denied" that pops up. Thanks!
    01-10-14 09:58 AM
    I accidentally deleted files on my micro SD card during vacation, I came home and uses a software on my pc called Zero Assumption Recovery, it got back everything! Maybe try that software and see if it recognizes the phone as a drive, if it does then you should be able to get the files back.

Zero Assumption Recovery aka ZAR was free, and it recovered everything I ever had on this memory card! I'm talking files I deleted ages ago and it recovered everything. Kind of worried me about disposing of storage devices because nothing is really ever 'deleted'.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder, kbz1960 and btk_1 like this.
    01-10-14 09:58 AM
    Shifty, it appears that you may be correct. If so, BlackBerry needs to preserve the cloned files if you attempt to delete them...in line with the Permission Denied message that the software presents. Still wondering if I have any possible chance to recover those cloned/deleted(?) photos?

Posted via CB10
    do you have them synced with BOX?
    01-10-14 10:05 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply 00stryder! I previously called Blackberry support and it did turn out to be hit or miss. The representative looked into the issue but didn't offer any recovery solution. I think I'll try a second time... and maybe I'll get a different representative who has some knowledge of working with the device memory.

NOTE to Blackberry:
    Please update the OS to not allow the deletion of files in the Device/misc/android folder... which will result in alignment with the error message "Unable to delete files... permission denied" that pops up. Thanks!
    Not a problem, and hope you can recover your files. Setting the phone in "USB Mass Storage Mode" (under Storage and Access in settings) should allow your PC to see your phone as an external hard drive when plugged in via USB and potentially give you the chance to recover the files using the same or a similar program to what the above poster described.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    btk_1 likes this.
    01-10-14 10:05 AM
    I have a few old devices lying around, I think I'm going to factory wipe them and then see if I can recover any files off of them. Just want to see how secure a factory wipe really is.

Posted via CB10
    00stryder likes this.
    01-10-14 10:12 AM
    TioPepe78, not a Box user... thanks
    01-10-14 10:15 AM
    In addition to ZAR, mentioned above, you could try with another free recovery tool called Recuva (www.recuva.com). It has worked for me in the past. But do it as soon as possible, because if you wait to long the data to recover could be overwritten.

Good luck!

Posted via CB10
    btk_1 likes this.
    01-10-14 10:16 AM
    SanDisk has a tool to recover deleted files too.
    btk_1 likes this.
    01-10-14 10:32 AM
    Tried ZAR but the software doesn't recognize the phone. My USB Connection is set to Autodetect.
    01-10-14 10:33 AM
    My moto is this. Any information,file,data on the device that is not copied elsewhere is considered to have little or no value . This is my personal opinion of MY data. Always always always have off site backups of anything that cannot shrugged of.

That being said, I certainly hope you recover your lost files and adopt a regular routine for backup.

Posted by my device of choice. Might be a BlackBerry, might not be. It is of concern to you.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-10-14 10:39 AM
    Tried ZAR but the software doesn't recognize the phone. My USB Connection is set to Autodetect.
    You may want to at least call around to a couple of phone/pc repair shops and see if they have any experience recovering data from cell phones. The other place you can look (bit more of a long shot) is a specialty camera store. I know in Souther Ontario I've had luck at a chain called Henry's.. they specialize in SLR cameras (Digital and film) and basically all things photographic. Now this was with an SD card from a digital camera so it's comparing apples to oranges admittedly but they may have some rig that they can use to try and recover data from Cell Phones with people using them more and more as their only cameras and (myself included) not being so good at backing them up.
    Best of luck!
    btk_1 likes this.
    01-10-14 10:48 AM
    Tried the free Wondershare Photo Recovery program and just like ZAR... it doesn't recognize my BB Z30 plugged in via USB. Looking at my Windows 7 file system (after opening Blackberry Link), the phone shows up under the heading Network Location as Blackberry.....[Flash] (Z: )

Just wondering if anyone has additional suggestions to get the recovery apps to recognize my phone connected via USB?
    01-10-14 12:05 PM
    Guys, there is NO WAY to recover it. Sorry to tell you this OP
    BB10 devices are in qnx6fs file systems. Through a network adapter, this format is converted to the NTFS shown on your computer as a virtual network drive
    Your layman recovery programs do not have access to this. Unless you break apart your device, find the storage chip and run a physical memory scan and recover it that way (you don't have the tools to do this anyways), you are out of luck
    btk_1 and 00stryder like this.
    01-10-14 12:14 PM
    Tried the free Wondershare Photo Recovery program and just like ZAR... it doesn't recognize my BB Z30 plugged in via USB. Looking at my Windows 7 file system (after opening Blackberry Link), the phone shows up under the heading Network Location as Blackberry.....[Flash] (Z: )

Just wondering if anyone has additional suggestions to get the recovery apps to recognize my phone connected via USB?
    Is USB Mass Storage turned on?
    01-10-14 12:14 PM
    Is USB Mass Storage turned on?
    Shouldn't make a difference either way. Regardless it's still a network drive. You're asking a recovery software to read qnx6fs which is near impossible because it has no idea what its reading
    btk_1 likes this.
    01-10-14 12:22 PM
    I tried mass storage and it did give access to ZAR of my micro SD card, but not the actual device memory

Posted via CB10
    btk_1 likes this.
    01-10-14 12:23 PM
    Smh, you're essentially asking the equivalent of a Chinese person to read Arabic
    Your recovery software can see your SD because it's in NTFS or FAT32 which it understands. No program I know of understands qnx6fs
    btk_1 and 00stryder like this.
    01-10-14 12:26 PM
    Those pictures that were deleted were stored in your device memory not on sd-cArd.
    (Just repeating it)

I don't think those are clones of the pictures you see in "file manager" app under "device"... those are the actual same files stored in it which you can see in BlackBerry file manager and android file manager.

Backing up from BlackBerry link only duplicates the file stored in your device... not files inside sd cards.
    (just saying to clarify)
    Posted via CB10
    btk_1 likes this.
    01-10-14 12:33 PM
35 12