Hi,
    My company recently opened up the gates to allow Bring Your Own Devices for mobile phones. Previously, way, way back, they had OS7 BB's allowed & provided by the company. Recent years only iPhones were supplied & permitted, running MDM or Good I think.
    Now they allow user devices to access internal email & services...does this mean they would deploy MDM or Good to my personal Z10? Very unlikely they have BES servers for OS10, so no BB Balance will be possible :-(
    The company iPhone I currently use has certain restrictions imposed by my company such as password complexity & lock screen time-out delay. I currently use my Z10 with the picture-lock screen. Will this still be possible if I decide to use it for work?
    01-09-14 03:01 PM
    You kinda need to talk to your IT department. No way we can help you.

9700 ~ 9900 ~ Z10 ~ Z30
    01-09-14 03:12 PM
    Hi,
    My company recently opened up the gates to allow Bring Your Own Devices for mobile phones. Previously, way, way back, they had OS7 BB's allowed & provided by the company. Recent years only iPhones were supplied & permitted, running MDM or Good I think.
    Now they allow user devices to access internal email & services...does this mean they would deploy MDM or Good to my personal Z10? Very unlikely they have BES servers for OS10, so no BB Balance will be possible :-(
    The company iPhone I currently use has certain restrictions imposed by my company such as password complexity & lock screen time-out delay. I currently use my Z10 with the picture-lock screen. Will this still be possible if I decide to use it for work?
    I use my personal Z10 on our company BES, I know you mentioned they might not have BES10 available for you, but if they had BES5 they may eligible for a free upgrade to BES10.

The best part by far is that my personal side remains personal, with no restrictions. As far as Good goes, I'm not familiar with what policies it does or doesn't have available for BlackBerry, but I would assume that it will be locked down per your companies policies just like your iphone is currently.
    01-09-14 03:33 PM
    I use my personal Z10 on our company BES, I know you mentioned they might not have BES10 available for you, but if they had BES5 they may eligible for a free upgrade to BES10.

The best part by far is that my personal side remains personal, with no restrictions. As far as Good goes, I'm not familiar with what policies it does or doesn't have available for BlackBerry, but I would assume that it will be locked down per your companies policies just like your iphone is currently.
    Same here with personal Z10. BES 10 with Balance and all the work stuff is isolated to the work side.

Posted via CB10 on a Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    01-10-14 03:03 AM
    I would NEVER go BYOD. Not with my company policy.

Why would you use your own phone for business and give company right to erase everything when you leave?

Posted from Z10 with 10.2.1.1259 leak. Pwnage aparatus!
    01-10-14 05:58 AM
    I would NEVER go BYOD. Not with my company policy.

Why would you use your own phone for business and give company right to erase everything when you leave?

That's the beauty of Balance. Your personal side is isolated from the work side. My IT dept can't see what I'm doing on my personal side nor do they have any control over any limitations or the ability to erase any personal data. Should we part ways simply deactivating the BES account only removes files associated with my work. No personal items are touched. No other MDM offers this to the depth that BlackBerry does.

So you are mistaken. The question is, why wouldn't you if you have the option? No one wants to carry 2 phones. I can either have a completely locked down iPhone or Android under a competitor MDM issued by work AND carry my personal phone so I can play candy crush or I can have a completely usable and personal smartphone with absolutely no restrictions while still being able to utilize company files, emails, calendars, networks etc, and still be able to play Candy Crush.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 08:03 AM
    That's the beauty of Balance. Your personal side is isolated from the work side. My IT dept can't see what I'm doing on my personal side nor do they have any control over any limitations or the ability to erase any personal data. Should we part ways simply deactivating the BES account only removes files associated with my work. No personal items are touched. No other MDM offers this to the depth that BlackBerry does.

So you are mistaken. The question is, why wouldn't you if you have the option? No one wants to carry 2 phones. I can either have a completely locked down iPhone or Android under a competitor MDM issued by work AND carry my personal phone so I can play candy crush or I can have a completely usable and personal smartphone with absolutely no restrictions while still being able to utilize company files, emails, calendars, networks etc, and still be able to play Candy Crush.

Posted via CB10
    Ate you sure about separation?
    I mean I understand the separation, but AFAIK the whole philosophy of byod is that IT department will be able to wipe your phone completely upon your departure.

More over, byod loving company usually pay fraction of your regular phone usage costs, do not cover phone wear and you have pain in the a55 with roaming charges.

And last but not the least: it's the same as with corporate BlackBerry phone - it means that you will work during weekends and evenings. So IMHO if my company will can my current BlackBerry os device (9360) I will not go for BYOD phone (actually BlackBerry Z10 is not supported in my company) but will take the " I am not working during none working time " approach which was impossible with BlackBerry os device...

01-10-14 09:01 AM
    Ate you sure about separation?
    I mean I understand the separation, but AFAIK the whole philosophy of byod is that IT department will be able to wipe your phone completely upon your departure.

More over, byod loving company usually pay fraction of your regular phone usage costs, do not cover phone wear and you have pain in the a55 with roaming charges.

And last but not the least: it's the same as with corporate BlackBerry phone - it means that you will work during weekends and evenings. So IMHO if my company will can my current BlackBerry os device (9360) I will not go for BYOD phone (actually BlackBerry Z10 is not supported in my company) but will take the " I am not working during none working time " approach which was impossible with BlackBerry os device...

I think you need to get a little more informed about BES 10 and Balance. You are incorrect in your assumptions, period.

Also, here's the deal with BYOD.
    I pay my own bill, data, minutes, roaming, everything. It's my device, not my companies. I use it for work in order to make my job easier and more efficient, in my line of business, that's a must.
    The moment the company starts paying for anything even a percentage, THEN you are always on the clock. If I get an email on my work account while I'm having dinner with the family, I have 2 choices, either ignore it or deal with it. I have no obligation to do anything with it if I don't want to, as the email is coming through to my personal device. If my employer has a problem with that, they can issue me aphone for work and pay the bill, but I also have the choice to then leave the phone at work after shift as I have no need for it outside of work.
    By using a work phone as your personal phone, you are essentially locked into working off the clock as it's a price you pay for having a free phone for both work and personal life.
    By using your personal device for work, you are in control.

This is how it works for me and my not be the same for you, but by BYOD you actually have more control over your work/life balance.
    01-10-14 09:36 AM
    I choose to use my Z10 for work, because I prefer it over the corporate issued iPhone. I have the iPhone on call forwarding to my Z10. Corporate email is through Exchange Active Sych and the IT guys seem to have abandoned the BES10 service....so no Balance login required. They do have an EAS policy that requires a device password. The email connection and login process is the same whether I use the iPhone, Playbook, or my android tablet.

My personal data plan is never exceeded, so I don't worry about the cost. A waste to the corporation, since I rarely use the iPhone. The only thing I use the iPhone for occasionally, is text messaging....no way to forward automatically to my Z10. Most of our corporate communication is by phone or email, so not an issue. Haven't been threatened to be fired yet, and I don't hide it from the boss, so I will stick with my Z10.
    01-10-14 10:06 AM
    I think you need to get a little more informed about BES 10 and Balance. You are incorrect in your assumptions, period.

I pay my own bill, data, minutes, roaming, everything. It's my device, not my companies. I use it for work in order to make my job easier and more efficient, in my line of business, that's a must.
    The moment the company starts paying for anything even a percentage, THEN you are always on the clock. If I get an email on my work account while I'm having dinner with the family, I have 2 choices, either ignore it or deal with it. I have no obligation to do anything with it if I don't want to, as the email is coming through to my personal device. If my employer has a problem with that, they can issue me aphone for work and pay the bill, but I also have the choice to then leave the phone at work after shift as I have no need for it outside of work.
    By using a work phone as your personal phone, you are essentially locked into working off the clock as it's a price you pay for having a free phone for both work and personal life.

This is how it works for me and my not be the same for you, but by BYOD you actually have more control over your work/life balance.
    yep, my mistake.
    but still, i prefer not to use my personal things for work
    at the moment I have personal Z10 and corporate curve 9360. our company is moving towards BYOD. and I would be happy to can 9360 and have evenings for the family because I do not want to pay for the roaming and international calls from my pocket
    01-10-14 12:27 PM
    My company will not support Bes10, so no chance to use Balance on my z10. I've also found a thread over on the BlackBerry Hub OS10 Android Side loading forum about getting the Good For Enterprise for Android running in the latest leaked bbOS10. I will likely need to do this if I want to byod my z10. All assuming my UT group allows it.
    I was browsing the byod approved devices....many Droids, all iphones, windows phone, nokia....not a single BlackBerry is listed.
    Think it's cut Good has no official support for os10 BlackBerries.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 01:55 PM
    My company uses Lotus Notes and the Traveler service works great with my Z10 without needing BES10. When i added the account, it enforced having a password (I can use regular, simple, or picture) and it encrypted my device automatically. When I compose an email, I get automatic search of the company directory as i'm typing names. It works fantastically.
    01-10-14 02:31 PM
    My work is running only Exchange.

Almost everyone has connected their phones via ActiveSync. They all have iPhones and various androids. I'm the only BlackBerry user with my Z10. Before I got it, I had my 9800 connected through my BIS account using the OWA address - meaning no calendar or contact syncing, and limited to only the main inbox and to the BIS 15 minute polling.

It's my phone and my carrier plan. Also, it's easy enough to just delete the exchange account should I need to.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 04:00 PM
    Hi,
    I don't get this BYOD, are people using their own data plans for company use? I have always had a company issued phone and basically would not bring my phone for their use.
    01-10-14 04:26 PM
    If my employer has a problem with that, they can issue me aphone for work and pay the bill, but I also have the choice to then leave the phone at work after shift as I have no need for it outside of work.

That is an interesting analogy as I have never held a job (nor have I known anyone in other jobs that could) that could leave a company issued phone at work. That defeats the purpose of the phone being issued to you. The whole reason a company issues a device is so THEY CAN REACH YOU afterhours.
    I would love for my company to embrace the BYOD program so I could quit carrying 2 phones

Posted via CB10. 10.2.1.1925 with 1259 camera/clock
    01-10-14 04:38 PM
    So I left my job at the federal government today to go work for Microsoft. I led the email team for the government agency I worked for, and we ran BES 10.

I have my own Z10 which I had on the BES as a BYOD, and I watched my co-worker remove my workspace today since I was leaving at COB. It was magical... the workspace just literally disappeared from the device. Not personal files or settings were harmed in the process.

The only remnant was the "unlock your workspace" in the Hub, but that was probably because I had it open when the workspace was removed. I toggled the Hub view and the prompt immediately disappeared.

I'm expected nothing less but I wanted to share my personal experience with removing the Balance/BES 10 workspace from my phone.

BlackBerry really nailed this part of personal/work integration. I can't recommend the BlackBerry Balance approach over other phones with Secure Work Spaces enough.

qwerty4ever likes this.
    01-10-14 06:37 PM
    Hi,
    Picture password will still work for your personal workspace as long as you define a different password for your work workspace via BlackBerry Balance and not use the same password for the device lock.

Posted on CB10 using Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1925
    01-10-14 06:46 PM

I like the way you think

CB10
    01-10-14 08:37 PM
    My company will not support Bes10, so no chance to use Balance on my z10. I've also found a thread over on the BlackBerry Hub OS10 Android Side loading forum about getting the Good For Enterprise for Android running in the latest leaked bbOS10. I will likely need to do this if I want to byod my z10. All assuming my UT group allows it.
    I was browsing the byod approved devices....many Droids, all iphones, windows phone, nokia....not a single BlackBerry is listed.
    Think it's cut Good has no official support for os10 BlackBerries.

Posted via CB10
    I think I have the same issue. Company lists android and iOS devices only

01-11-14 05:01 AM
    I don't get this BYOD, are people using their own data plans for company use? I have always had a company issued phone and basically would not bring my phone for their use.
    Yup. Own phone, own data, own minutes... own roaming charges.

Some companies pay some ridiculous renumerations, like mine - 9 gbp per month...

01-11-14 05:03 AM
    The only thing is, if company doesn't have BES10.

01-11-14 05:09 AM
    The only thing is, if company doesn't have BES10.

If they don't, then look to load the Android app for whatever MSM solution they use. I have seen people report doing this with the Good solution.

W/o any MSM solution and just plain old ActiveSync, you do run the risk of having your whole device wiped if the company tries to wipe their data off your phone, but that is an issue jot specific to BlackBerry and should be understood and agreed to BEFORE you put your phone on their system?

01-11-14 07:21 AM
    So I left my job at the federal government today to go work for Microsoft. I led the email team for the government agency I worked for, and we ran BES 10.

I have my own Z10 which I had on the BES as a BYOD, and I watched my co-worker remove my workspace today since I was leaving at COB. It was magical... the workspace just literally disappeared from the device. Not personal files or settings were harmed in the process.

The only remnant was the "unlock your workspace" in the Hub, but that was probably because I had it open when the workspace was removed. I toggled the Hub view and the prompt immediately disappeared.

I'm expected nothing less but I wanted to share my personal experience with removing the Balance/BES 10 workspace from my phone.

BlackBerry really nailed this part of personal/work integration. I can't recommend the BlackBerry Balance approach over other phones with Secure Work Spaces enough.

What happens to any BlackBerry backups you made prior to the balance wipe? Can you ever access the work space data off a backup after the balance wipe?

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 02:04 AM
    What happens to any BlackBerry backups you made prior to the balance wipe? Can you ever access the work space data off a backup after the balance wipe?

Posted via CB10
    One of the security policy settings we had chose was to not allow workspace backups by Link, so I can't test this scenario for you since my backups were personal space only.

01-12-14 06:30 AM