Hi All,
    One of my friends on Facebook got fed up with the increasing number of ads.
    He posted that he is using a free app called ABP - Ad Block Plus.
    He has only downloaded it on his PC, so I'm wondering if this app or another app is available to we who are on playbooks.
    I never sit at my PC anymore, so if there was an app to block ads on the web for tablets, well that would be heaven!
    Thx for any help.
    01-09-14 07:50 AM
    No set app for the PB that I know of, but Origami Browser has an ad block mode built in -- works great.
    castoridae and Herve5 like this.
    01-09-14 08:02 AM
    Ads are usually associated with browsing the internet or free apps. In the case of internet browsing, you add a plug-in to the browser or just block pop-ups. Windows has a lot of these ad block plug-ins but the PB doesn't. Most browsers have the block pop-ups feature, tho. If you block pop-ups you risk not being able to do legitimate things on websites like log ins that open a pop-up session. Like mentioned before, Origami browser has the ad-block function. Free apps are financed by ads so you really can't block them unless you purchase the pay version.
    castoridae likes this.
    01-09-14 08:55 AM
    Ads are usually associated with browsing the internet or free apps. In the case of internet browsing, you add a plug-in to the browser or just block pop-ups. Windows has a lot of these ad block plug-ins but the PB doesn't. Most browsers have the block pop-ups feature, tho. If you block pop-ups you risk not being able to do legitimate things on websites like log ins that open a pop-up session. Like mentioned before, Origami browser has the ad-block function. Free apps are financed by ads so you really can't block them unless you purchase the pay version.
    So this news is both good and not good.
    For example, right now, my PB 'desktop' is covered with 'add to home screen' icons for just about every place that I frequent.
    So, from what you're saying, if I access a site that way, or via email direct link, like responses from this thread, then your going to get the ads.
    The only way to not get them is to go to the site via origami browser, which woyld mean, sign into the main site, find the thread you want, find the last page, just to get updates?
    01-09-14 01:46 PM
    So this news is both good and not good.
    For example, right now, my PB 'desktop' is covered with 'add to home screen' icons for just about every place that I frequent.
    So, from what you're saying, if I access a site that way, or via email direct link, like responses from this thread, then your going to get the ads.
    The only way to not get them is to go to the site via origami browser, which woyld mean, sign into the main site, find the thread you want, find the last page, just to get updates?
    I think those icons you are describing are just shortcuts to webpages, much like a favorite. The icons still point to the browser, which accesses the webpage. If you made them with the native browser, I don't think there is anything you can do prevent the ads that might pop up. I'm not sure if the native browser has a pop up blocker as I don't use it much anymore. The Origami browser has an ad (pop up) blocker as feature. I was wondering if, when you speak about ads, that you are talking about the ones that pop up once in a while that say "you are the millionth user and won $$$" or the ads that are inherent on the page (e.g. CB has a lot of ads on their webpages). As far as I know, there is no way to get rid of the latter, as that is how CB pays the bills.
    01-09-14 02:11 PM
    I think those icons you are describing are just shortcuts to webpages, much like a favorite. The icons still point to the browser, which accesses the webpage. If you made them with the native browser, I don't think there is anything you can do prevent the ads that might pop up. I'm not sure if the native browser has a pop up blocker as I don't use it much anymore. The Origami browser has an ad (pop up) blocker as feature. I was wondering if, when you speak about ads, that you are talking about the ones that pop up once in a while that say "you are the millionth user and won $$$" or the ads that are inherent on the page (e.g. CB has a lot of ads on their webpages). As far as I know, there is no way to get rid of the latter, as that is how CB pays the bills.
    Well, for me, the worst ones are on facebook. They're posted just like a friend would post, so they're interspersed with posts from your friends and these are getting worse.

I actually took the time to post on one advertiser's FB page to say I specificallly would not buy their products because they had no business posting crap on my personal FB. They actually replied and said they had no control over what FB does and they did not request FB do this.

The pop ups and side panel ones are a pain, but I could live with them.

So would accessing sites thru origami prevent the side ads, or the imbedded or just the pop ups?
    01-09-14 02:40 PM
    I think Origami just blocks pop ups as CB looks the same as on my desktop. Unfortunately, there really isn't much you can do with the embedded ads on websites. Just like Google, that is revenue. The advertiser pays money to the site and they have to display it. Sad but true, that's the internet.
    01-09-14 02:50 PM
    Unfortunately, the function you are looking for is really not available. For the desktop I do use ad-blocking plugins for both chrome and FF, but for the Playbook, I just use Origami. Doesn't really function to remove the ads you are looking to get rid of, though.
    01-10-14 05:32 AM
    Thanks everybody for your help with this. I now know what ads I have to live with and which ones I can stop.
    01-10-14 05:54 AM
    I actually did some experimenting with Origami last nite (turned ad block on and off) and it does block some ads that are on the webpage. But not all. The ones that are blocked are replaced by a "?".
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    01-10-14 07:39 AM
    01-10-14 04:12 PM
    One of the best ad blocking Web browser is Fast Browser. It works so well it even will block ads in videos. You can actually watch Crackle movies ad free by setting the ad blocker to a high setting.
    01-11-14 02:32 PM
    Depending on your router you might be able to block ad servers there, and then all devices on your network would effectively be ad free.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 01:11 AM
    Depending on your router you might be able to block ad servers there, and then all devices on your network would effectively be ad free.

Posted via CB10
    Wow. I did not know this. I intent to check this out. A one stop shop for ad blocking. Good tip.
    01-12-14 03:09 AM

Posted via CB10
    I'm doing this all strictly from my playbook. I never go all the way upstairs, sit at my desk, turn on my dinosaur PC (Compac of 10 yrs w/windows explorer) that takes forever to boot up.
    So the app would have to be downloadable from the pkaybook.
    When I. Call up origami, I. Just get blank tabs, so where are the settings/instructions?
    Once I figure that out, I will re-oepper my screen with all new links to all my sites.
    Can someone give me some info on how to this with the oigami?
    Thx
    01-12-14 07:44 AM
    With Origami, the settings icon (three bars) is located in the upper right. You may have to swype down from the top bezel to reveal the menu bar as is true of all PB apps. When you access the settings, there are 4 choices along the top, desktop, private, ad block and booster. Just tap the ones you want and they will be activated with a blue bar underneath.
    01-12-14 08:48 AM
    I actually did some experimenting with Origami last nite (turned ad block on and off) and it does block some ads that are on the webpage. But not all. The ones that are blocked are replaced by a "?".
    OMG, I called up one of my fav sites and no ads !!
    Question: I tried to 'pin' it to my home screen and can't figure this out.
    All my fav sites are saved to my home screen, so how do you do that with origami?
    Also, when email comes in that answers a thread, like on this site, if you access the site thru the link in your incoming email, will the ads still be blocked, or do you have to go thru origami every time?
    Thx everyone.
    01-12-14 08:58 AM
    All my fav sites are saved to my home screen, so how do you do that with origami?.
    You can't.
    Also, when email comes in that answers a thread, like on this site, if you access the site thru the link in your incoming email, will the ads still be blocked, or do you have to go thru origami every time?
    If you click on a link from an email using "Messages", you'll open the native browser, not Origami.
    01-12-14 09:16 AM
    Nope, I don't think you can pin to home screen. Maybe someone knows better. You do have to access things thru Origami to get the ad block feature. I don't think you can set it to the default browser. The native browser is always default and will open email links, etc. The Origami developer was going to add another more features but I don't think he is working on it anymore.
    01-12-14 09:17 AM
    The native browser is always default and will open email links, etc..
    The one (major) exception to this is clicking on links in any android app, including any android email apps that you may use. Clicking on links here will either launch the android browser or give you a choice between android browser and any other android browsers that you may have loaded on your PB (Dolphin, Maxthon etc.)
    01-12-14 09:39 AM
    With Origami, the settings icon (three bars) is located in the upper right. You may have to swype down from the top bezel to reveal the menu bar as is true of all PB apps. When you access the settings, there are 4 choices along the top, desktop, private, ad block and booster. Just tap the ones you want and they will be activated with a blue bar underneath.
    Is desktop, for the playbook (ie: not a PC setting)
    Also, what are booster and private?
    Thx
    Last edited by castoridae; 01-12-14 at 11:12 AM.
    01-12-14 10:27 AM
    Nope, I don't think you can pin to home screen. Maybe someone knows better. You do have to access things thru Origami to get the ad block feature. I don't think you can set it to the default browser. The native browser is always default and will open email links, etc. The Origami developer was going to add another more features but I don't think he is working on it anymore.
    Ok, so I'm learning lits of things.
    I just found out that once I posted here from origami and then accessed your reply, the right panel on this thread us blank, ie no ads. To check, I also closed it and re-opened this site from home screen, went to this thread and the right panel ads were back. So if you access and answer a thread from origami, the ads are gone!
    One issue: In facebook, if I call up a youtube or article link, Origami ooens a new tab for it, when is fine, but then I ended up with several open tabs.
    How do you close these extra tabs when you've read the article and you're finished with that tab?
    01-12-14 10:37 AM
    Desktop will get you pc sites and not mobile sites based on the user agent you selected. Private blocks cookies and tracking info. Booster disables flash and java so pages will load faster but you won't get the content. Yeah, as long as you are in the origami app browser, you should get ad blocking. To close a tab, swype down from the bezel to reveal the tab(s) if in full screen mode and double tap the tabs you want to close.
    01-12-14 11:22 AM
    I'm doing this all strictly from my playbook. I never go all the way upstairs, sit at my desk, turn on my dinosaur PC (Compac of 10 yrs w/windows explorer) that takes forever to boot up.
    So the app would have to be downloadable from the pkaybook.
    When I. Call up origami, I. Just get blank tabs, so where are the settings/instructions?
    Once I figure that out, I will re-oepper my screen with all new links to all my sites.
    Can someone give me some info on how to this with the oigami?
    Thx
    You can configure your router using the PlayBook without needing to mess with a full PC. Anyway, to block ads in Origami Browser ONLY:

Open Origami Browser.

Look to the right of the address bar.

Touch the button that looks like three straight horizontal lines.

The third option says "ADBLOCK". If it is not underlined, tap it. Ads are now blocked.

Posted via CB10
    01-12-14 02:22 PM
    Best ad blocker is fast browser. Origami just does a host block which is quite minimal, but free so that's a consideration.
    01-13-14 05:01 PM