Hello BlackBerry users!!

I would like to know what are your thoughts regarding the future of "native" BlackBerry apps with the arrival of the newest version of BBOS 10?
    We all know that Goggle Play is infested of malware, which means we now have to download anti-viruses if we don't want to have our personal information compromised, and the reason why people love native apps, is because #1 they run better in BB10, and #2, users control the permission we give to developers.

Being able to download Android app, will encourage developers to make native apps? or will it be the end of BlackBerry World?
    01-08-14 06:56 PM
    I'm hoping that android developers will port there apps into blackberry world since it will be easier and now that they'll be able to run better. Which in turn will bring more people to blackberry. Which then will encourage developers to make native apps for BlackBerry because of the larger user base.
    Something along those lines.
    It won't be happening over night.
    01-08-14 07:04 PM
    I think that not all developers are cross platform developers and since not all android apps will work on the BlackBerry android runtime player we will continue to see "Made fro BlackBerry" which will work better and may fetch a higher price. The more BlackBerry bounces back globally the more the developers will see a need / want to continue to develop for BlackBerry. IMO.
    01-08-14 07:04 PM
    I think that not all developers are cross platform developers and since not all android apps will work on the BlackBerry android runtime player we will continue to see "Made fro BlackBerry" which will work better and may fetch a higher price. The more BlackBerry bounces back globally the more the developers will see a need / want to continue to develop for BlackBerry. IMO.
    I hope you are right as many of the apps I use via BlackBerry world have not been updated in many, many months. Yet their Android counterparts are updated regularly. In many cases I am running both Android and native apps with a tendency to lean towards the Android app as it is more up to date. Kind of sad...

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 07:20 PM
    The malware thing with android is not an issue for us BlackBerry users.
    It was already discussed that the android runtime runs in a separate way where the os can't be affected by whatever malware the port has. Look it up in the forums. Unfortunately I can't look for it now

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 07:23 PM
    It was already discussed that the android runtime runs in a separate way where the os can't be affected by whatever malware the port has. Look it up in the forums. Unfortunately I can't look for it now

Posted via CB10
    You are right regarding how BB10 handles/runs Android apps on the device in a "container" of sorts. But, it is entirely possible that an infected device (although not directly affecting the device) could migrate to a network computer/device that the phone was connected. I have had one instance when my Z10 made my anti virus software go crazy when I connected it via USB to my laptop.

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 07:54 PM
    The situation with BlackBerry development is this: the people you have developing native are almost all developing because they love the platform and use it as their daily driver. The larger companies are typically being enticed and courted by BlackBerry to develop and if they are successfully being enticed to do that now, I see no reason why that will end. It's been this way since day one and will continue to be this way for the foreseeable future. There are probably less than 200 independent devs actively writing apps for the BlackBerry platform. But those 200 devs, really care a great deal about the platform, have talent and are in it for the long haul.

Posted via CB10
    LP_Rigg and Crypt1c like this.
    01-08-14 08:27 PM

Posted via CB10
    So are you saying that it is safer to run an Android app on BB10 than it is to run an Android app on Android?

Wouldn't that be ironic.... :-)

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 06:30 PM
    So are you saying that it is safer to run an Android app on BB10 than it is to run an Android app on Android?

Wouldn't that be ironic.... :-)

Posted via CB10
    He wasn't saying that at all. Native will always be safer, but android apps are sandboxed and don't get native access to the core OS.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 08:26 PM