Till today I was happy with my phone BlackBerry z10, but what does did this phone to me today.. awesome when I come near Ukraine and I get their ugly network. I had locked mobile and didn't using it for this time and this phone download data for 40?.. idk what to do, I put it on ebay immediately, cause I don't want pay more for this. I have allowed roaming data on android and. IPhone and these phones never do that.. this phone cost me 40 more ? now.. I didn't send msg or something.. really really bad mistake

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 08:36 AM
    If I understood correctly, you're saying your phone was using mobile network data while roaming?

You can turn this feature off.. Go to Mobile Network, there is an option called 'Data services while roaming" It can be set to Prompt, On, or Off..

Im not sure how you're figuring the BB 'focked' you... If you allow mobile roaming on an android or any phone, you cant be mad at it for using data while roaming?
    01-07-14 08:46 AM
    Isn't the default for data when roaming Prompt?
    01-07-14 08:51 AM
    I travel mainly in Europe and we have great roaming charges within the eu - for 2 to 4 euro per day you get data and minutes plenty enough to get by the day at normal usage levels. However the BB10 seems to generate quite a bit of traffic data, not sure how it compares with iphone and android though. Would be nice to have the option to use the BIS at convenience.
    01-07-14 08:51 AM
    I recently returned from a week in Kazakhstan with my data off and -- guess what? -- no data use. Now, if you're saying you turned it off and it STILL happened... that's another issue and should be checked out.
    01-07-14 08:52 AM
    Till today I was happy with my phone BlackBerry z10, but what does did this phone to me today.. focking awesome when I come near Ukraine and I get their ugly network. I had locked mobile and didn't using it for this time and this phone download data for 40?.. idk what to do, I put it on ebay immediately, cause I don't want pay more for this ****. I have allowed roaming data on android and. IPhone and these phones never fock me like BlackBerry today.. this phone cost me 40 more ? now.. I didn't send msg or something.. really really bad mistake

Posted via CB10
    You are complaining about something that isn't related to the BlackBerry device itself. The issue is related to your carrier, BlackBerry doesn't set the price for roaming, your carrier does. It would be wise to make sure you are aware of the contract you are entering into with your carrier before signing your name.
    Last edited by BigBadWulf; 01-07-14 at 09:57 AM. Reason: insulting
    Just TM likes this.
    01-07-14 09:10 AM
    I never turning it off on every phone I have I it never download approximately 30mb..
    I didn't downloading or surfing on internet I have phone in pocket and it automatically download 30mb and I don't understand what it download..

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 09:11 AM
    You could have had apps running in the background or had emails coming in.

You should make sure you check your settings before roaming. All phones have the same settings for roaming and I'm pretty sure that they all start off set to "on"

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 09:16 AM
    I call to my carrier for info for what I need to pay 40?.. but I received fcb message and nothing more..

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 09:19 AM
    Neither do I like the OP's style of writing nor do I believe that BB's data consumption is worse than others.
    However, those who respond to his post have to take it more seriously, to be taken more seriously.

Imho, what he said was the following:

I never turned roaming off, neither for my iOS, nor Android, nor BB devices.
    I did not consciously consume any data while roaming.
    iOS and Android never gave me an extra bill.
    But BB gave me an extra bill of 40 (whatever) for data comsumption.

Just telling the OP that it was his fault and he should turn roaming off, is actually completely irrelevant in regard to his complaint.

Maybe someone has a potential explanation for this data consumption? Or has made different experiences in a comparable situation?
    This would be the right - and relevant - answer to the OP's rant.
    01-07-14 09:21 AM
    I found the OP's rant to be, at least, educational. It informed me on what not to do in the future if traveling. His mistake though, not Blackberry's.
    01-07-14 09:22 AM
    How much is your phone being sold for ebay now? 50 quid?

Encrypted by my Z10 on a 1925 os
    01-07-14 09:25 AM
    Yes it's the phones fault you roamed lol. Learn how to set it up. Here's an idea actually get a roaming package. Blame yourself for using data while roaming sure as heck isn't the phones fault.

Only one to blame is yourself. For a simple setting. Stupid ________.
    Did you read what he said?
    He said that with no phone usage, Android and iOS caused no data traffic, and BB did.
    Do we have any ideas how to counter or explain this?
    Or will we just continue telling the OP that he is stupid and to turn roaming off?
    blackmoe and paper_monkey like this.
    01-07-14 09:41 AM
    Well ... either way, the thread title is wrong BB made no mistake here.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    01-07-14 09:43 AM
    The latter.

Did you read what he said?
    He said that with no phone usage, Android and iOS caused no data traffic, and BB did.
    Do we have any ideas how to counter or explain this?
    Or will we just continue telling the OP that he is stupid and to turn roaming off?
    01-07-14 09:44 AM
    Maybe the OP should check his settings. My phone has roaming set to "prompt" by default.

Posted via CB10

Attachment 236781
    Attached Thumbnails Help me with my BB10 data while roaming-img_00001567.png  
    01-07-14 09:46 AM
    Neither do I like the OP's style of writing nor do I believe that BB's data consumption is worse than others.
    However, those who respond to his post have to take it more seriously, to be taken more seriously.

Maybe someone has a potential explanation for this data consumption? Or has made different experiences in a comparable situation?
    Just wanted to share my small research.
    I once noticed that CB10 - CrackBerry native application - shows images with a delay, especially in forum posts.
    I enabled packet sniffer and sure enough the application loads images every time it tries to display it.
    I opened one of those Z10 taken photos threads and scrolled up and down and analyzed network traffic.
    The application fetched images during scrolling without caching them on the device (in other words, the same image was transferred through network multiple times).
    I tried a similar app on Android and found that they do cache the images.

I dig deeper to see what BB10 API provides for content loading and why the http headers instructing to cache data are ignored.
    I found a couple samples on the web that use Qt API (QNetworkAccessManager) that fail to enable cache (such as this and this). Likely CB10 app and many others use similar simplistic approach to always fetch data from network and therefore increase the network traffic. (A good API for caching that I found is here).

The bottom line, I believe there's truth to the OP's experience but I doubt it's purely BlackBerry's fault.
    It's just because it is a young platform and it might take some time for 3rd party apps to take full potential and run efficiently.
    01-07-14 09:51 AM
    ok, so lets pretend that the OP had said that he was really frustrated because his Z10 is randomly using data (while apparantly dormant) which does not happen with either his android or iOS devices? Would it be easier for people to help try to find a solution then?

OP - how many e-mail addresses do you have set up on your Z10 and what's the polling interval? What OS are you running and is it a stock version or a leak? Do you have any Android apps sideloaded on your device and do you leave them (or any apps) open all the time or do you only open an app when you need it then close it right away?

Does anyone know of a good analytical tool to track down data usage or a monitor that might help the OP figure out where the data leak/hog is hiding?
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    01-07-14 09:54 AM
    Last month I accidentally let my Phone download one of the free gifts from Blackberry world using my data connection instead of WiFi because I forgot to turn a setting in BlackBerry world off again. I'm glad the OP has taught me that instead of cursing my forgetfulness, I should have sold my brand new Q10 on eBay for a fraction of what I paid for it and then logged on to the forum so I could post a barely coherent rant blaming BlackBerry.

I won't be making that mistake again.
    Q10Bold and MobileMadness002 like this.
    01-07-14 10:03 AM
    Good on all you for looking into this, but really, afaik he wasnt complaining about the amount of data his bb uses vs another platform, just that he got charged due to data being used while roaming, which his droid didnt do. He didnt do a comparison on data usage between ios android and bb, arguably he doesnt care at all how much data they use, as long as they dont incur a roaming charge. So the issue is data while roaming. To which the solution was posted a few times now.

ok, so lets pretend that the OP had said that he was really
    frustrated because his Z10 is randomly using data (while apparantly dormant) which does not happen with either his android or iOS devices? Would it be easier for people to help try to find a solution then?

OP - how many e-mail addresses do you have set up on your Z10 and what's the polling interval? What OS are you running and is it a stock version or a leak? Do you have any Android apps sideloaded on your device and do you leave them (or any apps) open all the time or do you only open an app when you need it then close it right away?

Does anyone know of a good analytical tool to track down data usage or a monitor that might help the OP figure out where the data leak/hog is hiding?
    01-07-14 10:03 AM
    nicely written sir, and finally some one responding that has more than an vague idea of what is happening with and in this device, and from someone that took time to research the problem before jumping down the OP 's neck.. again well done sir..
    paper_monkey likes this.
    01-07-14 10:07 AM
    Indeed this is, and I hate to generalize, a very common Euro-user's response to an issue of their own making: "The phone made me do it." Here's the deal: if you were carrying around an iPhone or an Android phone in roaming situations, with data roaming ON, it's still your lame-o fault. That you didn't get zapped for data roaming charges is nothing but good luck. But, it's more face-saving to blame the phone. Which... only does what you ask of it.
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    01-07-14 10:10 AM
    but I received fcb message and nothing more..

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 10:38 AM

Imho, what he said was the following:

I never turned roaming off, neither for my iOS, nor Android, nor BB devices.
    I did not consciously consume any data while roaming.
    iOS and Android never gave me an extra bill.
    But BB gave me an extra bill of 40 (whatever) for data comsumption.

Just telling the OP that it was his fault and he should turn roaming off, is actually completely irrelevant in regard to his complaint.

Thank you for translate and help.

BlackBerry is still best working os, but I never turning off roaming off when I was been nearly other country network and I never pay for it. So this really make me sad.. iphone and android is worse than BlackBerry but I naver pay for it 40?, it support me in this situation.. anyway sorry for my angry post.
    What mean OP?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 02:57 PM
    Till today I was happy with my phone BlackBerry z10, but what does did this phone to me today.. awesome when I come near Ukraine and I get their ugly network. I had locked mobile and didn't using it for this time and this phone download data for 40?.. idk what to do, I put it on ebay immediately, cause I don't want pay more for this. I have allowed roaming data on android and. IPhone and these phones never do that.. this phone cost me 40 more ? now.. I didn't send msg or something.. really really bad mistake

Posted via CB10
    I think that the OP is confounded by the fact that he locked his signal to his home carrier but despite this it appears to have jumped onto a network in Ukraine even though he never left his home country. This can happen when the Ukraine network signal is stronger than your home network but it shouldn't happen if you properly "locked it" to your home network. Unless you completely lost your home networks' signal, I too don't understand why you had this problem but as others suggested, I recommend that you set your roaming to "off" since you aren't actually discussing leaving your own country and you don't want to accidentally accept the "prompt while roaming" message.
    01-07-14 03:07 PM
29 12