Does anyone know if this is really necessary? In the past I've read that there is no need for it but now with my downloading apk files I'm even more concerned for security. I use banking and other financial apps. Does this app help?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 08:03 AM
    From past information provided, it does not scan or protect your system in "realtime". So you need to manually run scans -when you remember to. More importantly, it does not scan a file prior to download, during download or even after a download or installation. I'm curious to know if any of this has been "fixed" in newer releases.
    01-07-14 08:13 AM
    It was just updated today to better handle apk files.
    01-07-14 08:26 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Android apps run in a Sandboxed instance, so even if there was an infection or something it would not spread to the rest of Bb10

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 08:29 AM
    If you are worried about .apk malware, you might as well download one of the free Android versions of such scanners. Doing manual scans to me seems more than enough, since the .apk do not have access to core BB10 systems I think the most harm it could do is within the app itself. Using an app like Snap to get .apk files you are pretty guaranteed not to get infected apps.

What Max also does is show what permissions the apps have, and how this might affect performance (possible threat level). Using a common-sense approach to installing apps should be enough to figure out which apps use 'dodgy' permissions. For example games which ask for email/text/browser permissions seems bad, but a game asking for multimedia access seems pretty harmless.

Max software is really a peace-of-mind solution, not actual full-proof protection.
    01-07-14 08:34 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Android apps run in a Sandboxed instance, so even if there was an infection or something it would not spread to the rest of Bb10

Posted via CB10
    Correct, this is my understanding as well. It would be nice if CB or someone did some extensive testing on apps like this.
    01-07-14 08:34 AM
    But I presume that if you give an app permission for access to shared files and the internet (data in/out), it could ship off all of your files to SOMEWHERE/SOMEONE? And we do not seem to have any real control over Permissions for Android Installs??? Well, other than totally denying Permissions.
    01-07-14 08:54 AM
    Same could be said for native apps. You just need to check if the developer is legitimate and if the permissions seem reasonable for what the app does.
    And you can always check the device manager to see if apps use unreasonable amounts of data traffic.
    01-07-14 09:05 AM
    I don't understand why anyone would buy a BlackBerry and then buy max security.... you have the most secure phone on the market, why would you need a 3rd party app?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 09:12 AM
    I don't understand why anyone would buy a BlackBerry and then buy max security.... you have the most secure phone on the market, why would you need a 3rd party app?

Posted via CB10
    How does blackberry protect agains malware and virus'?

Posted via CB10
    01-07-14 09:17 AM
    Viruses targeted at BB10 would need to be written for it specifically. Small chance to find one of those viruses in an Android .apk right?

BBWorld apps are scanned by BlackBerry I believe before being approved.

Only user-error, by installing dodgy (Android) apps would be a real issue, and Max software will be good for those users (mainstream users).
    _____

I use Bitdefender from Android, it does all the things Max does as well, and I have never seen a security warning.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    01-07-14 09:22 AM
    Malware has gotten through the Apple approval process for iOS, at least on a research level, same thing can happen on App World. I'm not saying it will, and I don't plan on buying Max, but it is possible. Fortunately (in this case) we are the Linux of the mobile world, and while vulnerabilities are possible, we're not exactly good targets.
    01-07-14 09:34 AM

Posted via CB10
    Even on the Android device the apps run on a sandbox(Dalvik Virtual Machine prior to kitkat) but the issue is the API permissions allow the app to access your personal data through APIs, so you can easily run an android malware that can for eg. delete or steal all your contacts.
    So Max Mobile Security can scan for malware and now also gives the privacy threat level of even clean apps.
    FF22 likes this.
    01-07-14 10:40 AM
    I bought the app to check it out. I personally believe that since apps ask for permissions to your data they have the ability to do something malicious with it. I like the apk scanner as it can scan my pc folder that I download the apks into. It says it has the ability to scan a full folder, but I cant get it to select it. The app will only navigate down to a specific file.
    01-07-14 08:19 PM