If only they could fix the 'this app won't run without Google Play Services....' it would be perfect. my contract is up in Feb and it would be the difference between me staying with BlackBerry or moving on. Getting Android player right is the game changer I think. Would this keep you bb10 too?

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 04:08 AM
    If only they could fix the 'this app won't run without Google Play Services....' it would be perfect. my contract is up in Feb and it would be the difference between me staying with BlackBerry or moving on. Getting Android player right is the game changer I think. Would this keep you bb10 too?

Posted via CB10
    Personally I don't want Android apps on my BlackBerry but I am a minority around here.

Posted from my awesome Q10 via CB10.
    01-04-14 04:35 AM
    I don't care about those Android apps either, let alone a "complete" Android runtime environment. If I would depend on Android apps, I would've never bought a BB10 device in the first place and instead went with an Android. For me this sideloading stuff always was and will always be nothing more than a temporary workaround.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10
    01-04-14 05:17 AM
    I agree with your sentiments and for those who don't to use Android apps then fine, but if it gets people buying BlackBerry then that will make designing native apps a better proposition because of the greater numbers.

Posted via CB10
    gebco and bspence87 like this.
    01-04-14 05:22 AM
    Personally I don't want Android apps on my BlackBerry but I am a minority around here.

I don't care about those Android apps either, let alone a "complete" Android runtime environment. If I would depend on Android apps, I would've never bought a BB10 device in the first place and instead went with an Android. For me this sideloading stuff always was and will always be nothing more than a temporary workaround.

Posted via the awesome Blackberry Q10

Make that a minority of three.

I hope that BlackBerry make their mind up about the runtime, is it just for Devs or are they condoning piracy?

I'd also never have bought a BB10 device if I had to rely soley on Android apps.
    Thankful I carry two devices.
    BoldPreza likes this.
    01-04-14 06:05 AM
    I see nothing wrong with Android apps if they work correctly and install/update the same as any native app from the store.

We all know the big and smaller devs aren't developing for BBRY or at least most of the popular stuff. If they run like crap and are a pain to update etc then I agree with the others.
    bluetroll likes this.
    01-04-14 06:30 AM
    I don't like the fact that we have to sideload android apps just to get the apps we want. However i do value the option to do so. I only have 2 android apps on my Q10.

Posted via Q10
    01-04-14 06:30 AM
    I don't understand the problem with having Android apps on BB10. I also don't want to get into this grey area arguing about pirating when I have records on my Google Play account to prove I have downloaded and forced to sit through a free apps myriad of advertisements. Until Google tells me otherwise it's fair game. Yes I would rather have native apps too because they run smoothly on BB10 but that is quickly changing. The problem with all this is that the platform I enjoy using does not have enough apps available to it to get others to enjoy it too and is killing it slowly. If you don't want to use Android apps that's fine, but for some it will be a deciding factor for getting BB10 whereas before there was not enough factors to even consider it. I've used Android and there is little consistency in the apps unlike iOS apps. If you want an Android, get one, no doubt they're great, but it is not the same thing whether they run the same apps or not. BB10 is unique and the public needs to see that. Getting access to more popular apps help. WP have been doing it the best way they can in advertising that they have all the apps you need and paying top dollar to developers.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 07:32 AM
    To people who don't care about Android apps on BB10, you have a choice not to install them.
    01-04-14 07:44 AM
    Android apps open slowly that's the biggest problem I have with them.

Don't see why when BlackBerry is using same method as android (dalvik vm)
    Maybe it's converting all those library files?

Hope ART fixes this annoyance.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 08:14 AM

I totally Agree with you!
    01-04-14 08:20 AM
    I'm in the camp that doesn't care about Android apps. By and large, I find them just as cumbersome as I did on an Android device.

But if the ability to run them gets more people to try BB10, I'm all for it!
    Ben1232 likes this.
    01-04-14 09:01 AM
    I agree with your sentiments and for those who don't to use Android apps then fine, but if it gets people buying BlackBerry then that will make designing native apps a better proposition because of the greater numbers.
    I seriously doubt that the ability to run Android apps will entice anyone to buy a BlackBerry. As others have said, if you want to run Android apps, why not just buy an Android device? But it might entice some current BlackBerry users to stay with BlackBerry, and that's not a bad thing.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-04-14 09:27 AM
    Android apps are a necessary evil. I think the majority of BB10 users would prefer a 100% native app experience, but at this time, that seems to be an impossibility. Instagram is the obvious example.

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    01-04-14 09:38 AM
    To people who don't care about Android apps on BB10, you have a choice not to install them.
    Thank you sir for that option, I will continue not to put android apps on my phone.

When I want them Sony will be more than happy to sell me a Z Ultra running android.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 09:42 AM
    I seriously doubt that the ability to run Android apps will entice anyone to buy a BlackBerry. As others have said, if you want to run Android apps, why not just buy an Android device? But it might entice some current BlackBerry users to stay with BlackBerry, and that's not a bad thing.
    Thus the crux of the entire future of Blackberry. The entire value proposition to it's market. The entire marketing plan for the future.

People won't buy a BB just for it's Android apps. They will buy it because of its Android apps (that completely erase the app-gap) PLUS something else that BB shows as a value proposition. Perhaps people would like to go back to BB, but really miss their apps. Or, maybe they would consider switching (because you show them some other cool features they like) if losing apps is not a problem .

Until the app-gap is closed....BB is niche.
    Bbnivende and m1a1mg like this.
    01-04-14 09:44 AM
    The "why not buy an Android device" may work for sales reps but does not hold water on these forums. There is not a single BB10 user that exclusively drives their BB10 phone with only the Android Runtime. Instead you have an app gap minimized. Android runtime is simply a bonus as it is almost like having 2 Operating systems in one. THIS could be a selling point to NOT buy an Android device. Not only do you get a great OS with smooth native apps, but you are able to load and install your favorite Android apps and games directly to your device.

Posted Via CB10 via Z10 via BB10
    01-04-14 09:45 AM
    I do not think you can buy a good android Q10 and it would be nice to be able to run, for example, a bank app where the BB10 version is not available - without sideloading the app.
    01-04-14 09:53 AM
    I plan on shaming developers who are too lazy to submit apps to BlackBerry World. If I can download and install it and it runs beautifully, then you're just a lazy developer or company.

That being said, I have very few Apps that I have needed to sideload.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 10:02 AM
    BlackBerry is the only other company going in the right direction by trying to get android apps to run on bb10. Let's face it in the end it will only be android apps. Everyone else ios, WP are going to be finished.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 10:13 AM
    .1925 has changed my opinion of Android apps on my BlackBerry phone. Until .1925 I found the leaks to be downright laggy, and in fact seemed to bog down the entire phone. I did not want to trade Android apps for a reduced overall UI. I didn't share the enthusiasm of some regarding the experience, based on my own experience running the leaks.

.1925 has changed that for me. I find its snappier and the entire UI improved - there is minimal lag notable. Thanks to the wonderful dev who gave us Snap I now have my banking and credit card apps, Netflix, directv, the Amazon apps including the MP3 app which I love, the Western Digital cloud app that connects to my NAS.

Just like the OP I long for Google Play Services. I use them a lot and so it means that a BlackBerry cannot be my sole driver and I don't frankly see the path that brings GPS to the phone in any way. Even the Dunkin Donuts app which will work with the new runtime, looks for Play Services and I think over time more and more apps will and that will diminish the experience some. When I travel overseas I try to only take one phone and the last time it was the GNote 3 becuase it can do everything. Without GPS the BlackBerry won't be able to take that job.

Overall, I am now positive about the addition of the runtime and .1925 is a big step forward IMHO and as the OP states if they could bring GPS to the BlackBerry I would be very supportive of that too.
    01-04-14 10:18 AM
    The "why not buy an Android device" may work for sales reps but does not hold water on these forums.
    I wasn't talking about the people on these forums, I was talking about the market in general. The people on these forums are mostly BlackBerry enthusiasts. Naturally, they will buy BlackBerry almost no matter what. Outside these forums, I don't think the ability of BlackBerry 10 devices to run Android apps is going to make much of a difference.

I think sometimes we underestimate how sticky a platform is, and how much it would take to pull significant numbers of people away from it. People who are already invested in iOS or Android aren't going to jump to BlackBerry unless BlackBerry offers something that really wows them, and that would make it worth having to repurchase hundreds of dollars of apps (assuming they were even available), and give up the cloud services and device sync that their current ecosystem provides.
    01-04-14 10:33 AM
    Native is definitely the way to go, but unfortunately the BB10 environment is still very immature and not all applications are catered for.

The Android runtime is a genius idea to bridge the gap.

I can now enjoy all my native apps whilst downloading the Android apps that are not (yet) available natively.

I am not someone who thinks that by installing Android that the devs won't bother creating them for BB10. The devs know what device I have.. and if enough of us do this then they will have no choice but to take notice.

It's a shame that it has taken until 10.2.1 (which is not yet officially released) and a year since BB10 launch to reach a stage where Android apps (in the main) are stable... but it could be a deciding factor in choosing a phone.

I have the best of 2 worlds with my Z10!

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 10:41 AM
    Using. 1925 with Amazon app store doesn't feel like side loading to the user. It's just another app store where there are free and paid apps. I feel this is opening up bb10 to new users who just want their 'must have' apps and get the full BlackBerry 10 experience too, who otherwise wouldn't give it a chance. As the user base grows then major dev's would develop native apps. If you don't want to use them then just don't install.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 11:52 AM
    What if Google decides to pull support tomorrow? The biggest issue is relying on apps from a source that can be pulled at any moment. So if customers are advertised to "run android apps on BB" without official consent and then Google pulls support which I'm sure they can. Then what? Customers are stuck with a device that they were promised could run android apps. Advertising it won't happen. Here on the forums people know hiw yo do it but regular people just will never know and they shouldn't. What I don't get is why BB just didn't go android in the first place and not have to deal with devs

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-04-14 01:16 PM
45 12