We all saw (and saw coming) the lawsuit against the Typo keyboard accessory Ryan Seacrest was pushing. Obviously there is a market for people who want physical keyboards on thier iphones/androids, people who dont want to buy a blackberry.

So should BlackBerry just make it an official accessory? They could offer different styles of keyboards. It wouldn't be that far fetched either as they've already got the designs, its just a matter of making it a stand alone accessory.

What you you guys think?
    xxslxx likes this.
    01-03-14 02:22 PM
    No, why would they want to attract attention away from their own devices instead of to them? Would be illogical at this point.
    01-03-14 02:25 PM
    I think they should. It would be a foot in the door to start changing the perception. Plus, they ain't making money with their phones, why not make it with their keyboards. They could even tie it with bbm, have the best typing experience on the best chat client on any platform.
    jegs2, MobileMadness002 and xxslxx like this.
    01-03-14 02:28 PM
    No, why would they want to attract attention away from their own devices instead of to them? Would be illogical at this point.
    I disagree. I think doing so would be a good idea for them, (more money and people trying the keyboard) they could feel how it is and if they like it maybe they might think about getting a BlackBerry.

Q10
    techvisor and world saviour like this.
    01-03-14 02:30 PM
    I think they should. It would be a foot in the door to start changing the perception. Plus, they ain't making money with their phones, why not make it with their keyboards. They could even tie it with bbm, have the best typing experience on the best chat client on any platform.
    The lawsuit already answered the question. BBRY is OK with them making the device if they compensate BBRY for it. It makes sense because the Seacrest Group already did the R&D, has positive press already, and is taking the inventory risks. Blackberry just collects a piece of the action if it becomes successful.
    01-03-14 02:43 PM
    Sell it under BBM brand.

Posted via CB10
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    01-03-14 02:47 PM
    The problem is they're not attracting attention to their own devices.

I like the "bundled with bbm" concept as well. Have the device auto install bbm. If you're paying for a keyboard, it's a fair bet that you're familiar with BlackBerry and with bbm.

As for the inventory risk/R&D, yes that's true but you don't want Typo's name being associated with it if it grows. I dont know what R&D they put into it, but it couldn't have been much if they stole the q10 design. The attachment portion isn't difficult to do.

Posted via CB10
    world saviour and adjdudley21 like this.
    01-03-14 02:57 PM
    I think it would be a very smart marketing over.

Z10 on Telus
    01-03-14 03:05 PM
    Of course they should. Obviously the built in physical keyboard doesn't seem to be a major device choice factor. But if a consumer is willing to pay extra to extend their device... Why not?

The target market would be for those mobile users who aren't going to purchase your device anyway. So where's the downside if BBRY can still squeeze a few coins out of them?

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via Tapatalk 4 Beta
    01-03-14 04:10 PM
    I say no to, Then IPhone must make other devices with it's own keyboard
    01-03-14 04:14 PM
    If Blackberry own the rights to a keyboard then they could get licensing money off anyone who makes one but make theirs high end and cost more. People could try it and if they liked it may consider just getting the phone next time. Obviously this would largely depend on the outcome of the case.

Makes me wonder if the person who made the keyboard for pcs in general gets money from every one that's made. I can't see it.
    01-03-14 04:21 PM
    Sell it under BBM brand.
    That's an interesting idea.
    01-03-14 04:32 PM
    #BBKB4ALL
    Knightcrawler and Morty2264 like this.
    01-03-14 04:41 PM
    No why associate at all with iphone?
    01-03-14 04:51 PM
    I think it'd be a great idea.
    BlackBerry will be selling their own products to others, so customers will still be supporting the company by buying the keyboard for their iPhones and Androids. Why not give BlackBerry the extra revenue and recognition for their keyboards? They're amazing.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-03-14 04:54 PM
    No. Make a BB10 slider and get those who REALLY want the big screen and hard keyboard combo.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 05:02 PM
    Obviously there is a market for people who want physical keyboards on thier iphones/androids, people who dont want to buy a blackberry.
    What you you guys think?
    I don't know that its obvious there is a market, but its not a terrible idea......I don't think it would be all that successful myself I say pass....
    01-03-14 05:14 PM
    Nope just sue typo, and get compensated for every unit sold. If it fails then they are out nothing, if it is successful then they get a piece of every unit sold.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 05:39 PM
    Sure, why not. You can have the phony iPhone model, or the cool original version

Sent from the phone of the gods.....Z30
    01-03-14 05:42 PM
    Wish I could find it but I remember seeing an iPhone with a keyboard type attachment that when not in use, it flipped back against the actual back of the phone. It allowed those using the full screen and when the keyboard was brought up you could flip the keyboard thingy over and use it. Was NOT bluetooth, just pressure placed when the virtual keys would be.

Actually found it, here it is:

This Dumb Physical iPhone Keyboard Is Actually Real

Video: Hands-on with the iPhone physical keyboard case "Spike" | MobileSyrup.com

I would love something like this for the Z10.
    01-03-14 06:04 PM
    Keep Moving

Keep Typing
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    01-03-14 06:15 PM
    Should be a Blackberry product.
    01-03-14 06:21 PM
    If this works for ryan and they compensate BlackBerry for it, 5 years from now people will say "ryan's keyboard is the best" not "BlackBerry's keyboard is the best", and I'll be arguing here with a ISheep about who made this keyboard first.

Sometimes money isn't just worth it, just my opinion.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 06:24 PM
    If this works for ryan and they compensate BlackBerry for it, 5 years from now people will say "ryan's keyboard is the best" not "BlackBerry's keyboard is the best", and I'll be arguing here with a ISheep about who made this keyboard first.

Sometimes money isn't just worth it, just my opinion.

Posted via CB10

No reason to argue, link a pic to the 9000, 83XX, 9900. Besides, I do not really think any iPhone users will dispute this matter.
    01-03-14 06:40 PM
    Absolutely not. A profitless distraction at best. Blackberry is going to have a hard enough time trying to market one or two of their own phones for the foreseeable future. How on earth could they produce keyboards for everyone else's phones?? There may be a market for this product but it is not a market best served by any OEM, least of all BB. IMO
    sleepngbear and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    01-03-14 07:42 PM
74 123