I know we've had various posts on several layoffs here and there, but have the 4500 layoffs happened? I'm wondering how this will/has been affected by John Chen's arrival. Perhaps he has paused things a bit? Just curious.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 07:40 AM
    I doubt anyone outside of BlackBerry's inner circle knows. However, given the ongoing bleeding of cash, I would imagine "cost-cutting" measures, including staff downsizing, are always on the radar. Very unfortunate for the employees involved for sure; however, BBRY is also fighting for survival.
    pkcable, web99 and eldricho like this.
    01-03-14 07:54 AM
    Didn't they say the 4,500 layoffs will be done at the end of the summer? So we have another 7 months of layoffs to go.

Posted via CB10
    01-03-14 09:21 AM
    Didn't they say the 4,500 layoffs will be done at the end of the summer? So we have another 7 months of layoffs to go.

Posted via CB10
    Lay-offs only appease investors. As BlackBerry shrinks in every meaning of the term their competitors march forward gaining strength. We need to see hard evidence of a seismic shift in BlackBerry's announced strategy within this quarter. Chen has laid-out some high-level plans but we've yet to see those plans yield profitable results.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    milo53 likes this.
    01-03-14 10:29 AM
    HP Confirms Even More Layoffs By End of 2014 | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Hewlett-Packard will lay off 34,000 employees as part of its years-long restructuring plan under CEO Meg Whitman, who has stated that this will be the last major downsizing at the company for the foreseeable future.
    They aren't the only ones doing this.
    01-03-14 12:03 PM
    Layoffs are ALWAYS a product of inept senior management.

It's an unfortunate reality that the result the many poor decisions end up costing the rank-and-file their jobs while the senior managers still get their bonuses or take advantage of huge severance pay-outs. Look at TH, $22 million for what exactly ? I suppose some would see this as a bargain against the $55 million change of ownership provision in his compensation package.

Too bad there isn't "Court of Basic Fairness" that could meter out some serious justice in these cases.
    01-03-14 02:01 PM
    Pretty sure those layoffs are supposed to conclude in May.
    01-03-14 02:10 PM
    Layoffs are ALWAYS a product of inept senior management.

It's an unfortunate reality that the result the many poor decisions end up costing the rank-and-file their jobs while the senior managers still get their bonuses or take advantage of huge severance pay-outs. Look at TH, $22 million for what exactly ? I suppose some would see this as a bargain against the $55 million change of ownership provision in his compensation package.

Too bad there isn't "Court of Basic Fairness" that could meter out some serious justice in these cases.

So when the economy crashed and companies couldn't afford to keep employees because consumer spending decreased, that was management's fault? Funny...

Executives get hefty pay because they take the fall when it hits the fan. When it hits, it may very well be their last exec job ever. Supply and demand, too. Despite the high number of people here who claim they could run BlackBerry better, executive positions are hard to attain because they require specific background which most people do not possess.
    Anubhav Nagpal likes this.
    01-03-14 02:22 PM
    So when the economy crashed and companies couldn't afford to keep employees because consumer spending decreased
    Do you have an example?
    01-03-14 02:25 PM
    You're asking for sources on how the decrease in consumer spending caused layoffs during the recession? You're either trolling or completely ignorant to American history.
    01-03-14 02:31 PM
    You're asking for sources on how the decrease in consumer spending caused layoffs during the recession? You're either trolling or completely ignorant to American history.
    fixed it for ya
    donmateo likes this.
    01-03-14 11:22 PM
    A guy I know who works for BlackBerry said most of the domestic layoffs are done but more are coming internationally. He wasn't sure but that's what he had heard.

Posted via CB10
    01-05-14 04:16 PM
    No doubt many others not layed off will be leaving on their own as well.

Posted via CB10
    01-06-14 01:12 PM
    I bet they are keeping the shiny jet fueled up for Chens roundtrip ride to California, a couple times a week. Fortunately BB kept the 19 passenger Bombardier Model, he does need plenty of room to stretch. Nice Carbon Footprint BB.
    01-08-14 08:38 AM
    Al Gore's mansion uses 20X more energy than an average household. That's not even for a business use. Nearly every major business has a private jet, get over it.
    01-08-14 01:33 PM
    I believe the decision for laying off 4500 employees was made before Chen took over so it wouldn't be surprising if this number is no longer valid. The strategy has changed after all.
    01-08-14 05:15 PM
    I believe the decision for laying off 4500 employees was made before Chen took over so it wouldn't be surprising if this number is no longer valid. The strategy has changed after all.
    It has changed some, but it's still generally the same strategy that TH came up with.

BBMX - TH
    Foxconn - TH
    Turn the focus back to enterprise - TH

Posted via CB10
    01-08-14 05:35 PM
    So when the economy crashed and companies couldn't afford to keep employees because consumer spending decreased, that was management's fault?
    Yes. Management at the "investment banks" destroyed the global economy by Autumn 2008.

Executives get hefty pay because they take the fall when it hits the fan. When it hits, it may very well be their last exec job ever.
    Just because you keep repeating this nonsense doesn't make it true. The CXO is very exclusive and they keep circulating through each other's executive suites as though it is a Country Club for CXOs. If Thorsten Heins is truly unemployable maybe that will make him a heck of a lot humbler after the bald-faced lies he uttered during his short-lived tenure as BlackBerry Chief Executive Officer. I cry no tears for him.
    01-09-14 05:32 PM