Does anyone do this on their tablet? Since the Playbook is essentially a dead tablet I'm shopping for another, looking at the Kindle Fire HDX but I want to buy the USA model and I want to get the USA content. Does anyone do this by masking their IP address? Looking for feedback on how easy it is to do and how much the monthly cost is.
    01-02-14 06:34 AM
    Depending on the content you are looking for, you can do this for free. I use tunlr.net as I'm not a Netflix subscriber (use it for my Google TV box). Not sure if there's a way to set your DNS settings on the Kindle Fire, but there are Android apps for it on the Android-based tables. It is possible to set this on your router at home, but that means that all computers connected to your router would mask a US IP address (and would also mean that your Kindle would be US at home only). Maybe best to search around on Kindle Fire forums to see if you can manually set your DNS address.
    01-02-14 06:42 AM
    As far as I know, as long as you register a US Amazon account you can essentially purchase US based content. However, playback of that content won't work unless you are connected to a US connection, though that can be done fairly easy with use of a VPN set up through your router. The biggest thing though, is actually being able to register a US Amazon account as it typically requires US based funding. Though, that can be bought online as well.
    01-02-14 06:44 AM
    I have a US account, and have no US funding. (well, no longer) I think the issue is that apps, etc for the Kindle Fire are (I believe) not available unless purchased from a US IP address. The OP's question was regarding how to mask his IP. BTW, a 2 minute search on Google yielded:
    How to change DNS on Amazon Kindle Fire HD : UnoTelly Customer Service

It's but one US based dns server, but it explains how to set up the Fire to show as a US device. It DOES state that you need a US credit card to purchase US content, though. So that might be a larger deterrent to getting that device.
    01-07-14 12:46 PM
    Reminds me of all the people who are using illegal satellite receivers....get your box fried every two days or so....lol

Posted Via Z10
    01-08-14 03:28 AM
    Great tips guys. Great tips.

Mods, close this thread. It illustrates how to go about changing your tablet's IP address, in order to receive illegal content on a Kindle.

Posted Via Z10
    01-08-14 03:32 AM
    How is it illegal if it's paid for? It's not illegal to watch in Canada, it's prevented.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    01-08-14 10:54 AM
    How is it illegal if it's paid for? It's not illegal to watch in Canada, it's prevented.
    Actually, it's illegal for them to stream the content to Canada, as the CRTC etc requires special compensation for music + themes etc used in videos (etc). Additionally some movie houses only allow Hulu, for examlle,to stream content xyz in the US or they will be at risk of a lawsuit

With that all said, I use unblock-us. It let's me act as a US IP. And let's me set my Netflix region to 10 different countries or something like that. The most critical site to people like me kw moreflicks.com which let's me search a movie in all Netflix regions.

The hobbit for example is in Ireland netflix. However the Lord of the rings trilogy is in the UK netflix.

Posted via CB from my LE
    DonnyVantage likes this.
    01-08-14 12:08 PM
    Great tips guys. Great tips.

Mods, close this thread. It illustrates how to go about changing your tablet's IP address, in order to receive illegal content on a Kindle.

Posted Via Z10
    Wow spoken as a true 1% er ...hack away boys !! if you can get it for free do it !!
    01-08-14 07:00 PM
    There is nothing free in life. It will bite you in the behind later. You will see.

Posted Via Z10
    01-14-14 11:12 PM
    By using a VPN service, you can manipulate your machine's IP address to specific location like US, therein you can unlock access to restricted contents like Netflix and Streaming Content from Outside the USA.
    Unfortunately, there are few VPN vendors offer BB10 compatible services namely purevpn, as you need to install IKEV2 certificate on your device.
    Hope it could help.
    02-23-14 01:13 PM
    Ba careful only on those offering free VPN services...

Posted via CB10
    02-23-14 07:45 PM
    What VPN service would you recommend for use with the z10?
    02-28-14 09:23 AM
    What VPN service would you recommend for use with the z10?
    Unfortunately, Z10 doesn't support common protocols like PPTP and OpenVPN so the only way you can set up VPN on your device is Microsoft IKEv2 protocol.Thus look for a vendors that provides VPN with IKEV certificate.
    Personally,I have a good experience with purevpn.com but I'm sure you can find many reliable providers if you google for it.
    02-28-14 01:14 PM
    Wow spoken as a true 1% er ...hack away boys !! if you can get it for free do it !!
    And you can't even see his cape under his street clothes. Impressive
    02-28-14 03:00 PM
    There is nothing free in life. It will bite you in the behind later. You will see.

Posted Via Z10
    It appears you are the pain in the behind on this thread.
    Last edited by Cynycl; 02-28-14 at 03:31 PM.
    02-28-14 03:02 PM
    A rooted android tab can run the hola unblocker app and it is free and let's you pick your region for each app on the device. Works great for multi region netchits and for blacked out NHL games in the NHL app

You can turn it on and off at will .....this I feature i like
    Last edited by Cynycl; 02-28-14 at 03:16 PM.
    02-28-14 03:05 PM
    +1 for PureVPN

Posted via CB10
    02-28-14 03:38 PM
    Hmstrat sounds like a mpaa lackey! Or brainwashed moron..... I hope he really is banned, cuz he really is a PITA. sorry "a goody two shoes"
    03-01-14 12:49 AM
    Get sideswype

I also use unblock-us so I can region change netflix and use us Hulu with minimal effort.

Once you can change regions at any time, use moreflicks - it let's you search all the regions. You would be surprised how big netflix library really is.

Posted via CB from my LE
    03-01-14 01:11 AM
    Actually there are some very good and secure Free and OpenSource VPN services out there. Trouble is, they almost all use OpenVPN which BB10 still doesn't support. I've been asking for it on several threads related to wishes for the next version update.

Ba careful only on those offering free VPN services...

Posted via CB10

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2141 :-)
    03-01-14 04:42 AM
    Actually there are some very good and secure Free and OpenSource VPN services out there. Trouble is, they almost all use OpenVPN which BB10 still doesn't support. I've been asking for it on several threads related to wishes for the next version update.
    In my humble opinion, using a free VPN without the knowledge of who is actually running that service could be dangerous as you are actually disclosing all your browsing and Internet transactions information to a third party that may use it for illicit reasons, instead of protecting your online transactions and data.
    They also often experience many technical issues with connection, because of inability to manage their technical capacity and accepting more VPN clients than their systems can technically serve. This makes the network overcrowded and the connection highly unstable. So if quality and privacy are important, we may want to avoid free VPN.
    03-01-14 01:50 PM
    I appreciate the words of caution. I do my research before using any VPN service, free or not, and of course would advise anyone to do the same. My frustration is that after finding and using a reliable service on a PC, I can't use it on my phone, where public wifi would make a VPN essential.

In my humble opinion, using a free VPN without the knowledge of who is actually running that service could be dangerous as you are actually disclosing all your browsing and Internet transactions information to a third party that may use it for illicit reasons, instead of protecting your online transactions and data.
    They also often experience many technical issues with connection, because of inability to manage their technical capacity and accepting more VPN clients than their systems can technically serve. This makes the network overcrowded and the connection highly unstable. So if quality and privacy are important, we may want to avoid free VPN.

Typed on my Q10, SQN100-2, 10.2.1.2141 :-)
    03-01-14 04:01 PM
    I use unblock-us.com for the home router it is simple works great and at 4.99 a month. I have still not found a way to change the DNS settings on the Kindle Fire HDX and Mayday support was lost and could not help- I guess I got a lowsy support person.
    So if any one can advise how to change the DNS setting on a Kindle fire HDX that would be great.- Thanks
    03-06-14 04:57 PM
    Unotelly app is awesome for unodns. Can switch regions right from the phone and even controls my media box regions too.

I set up my network in a way where I have 2 ssid's on router. One for normal local isp and one that has the unodns info entered at the router level so all devices on that ssid whether wireless or wired will be able to receive out of region content by pulling the Dns setup on those ports or wireless network.

Posted via CB10
    wandae likes this.
    04-16-14 10:28 PM