tomorrow is my birthday! So I'm thinking I'm buying myself a Z10. Dunno why!
    I love my Q10 but since I've always had a BlackBerry with keyboard I'm thinking of upgrading it cause I need, suddenly, more screen!

One question though: is the Q10 camera better than the Z's? Or is it just the sceeen that makes it better?
    I'm really worried, I do want the Z but I'm in love with the Q.
    #Help!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 04:28 PM
    Do yourself a biggie and get the Z30 it will blow you away.

Posted on my Z30 on CB10.
    12-30-13 04:33 PM
    I don't have any experience with the Z10's camera or if it's the same spec's as the Q's but the Q10 camera is horrible, unless you're talking pictures of large outdoor open spaces.

Trying to get the camera to focus and lock on text or anything semi small takes effort.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 04:36 PM
    I think my Q's camera is pretty neat!
    I take cool pictures! And I love the focus!
    I mean it has a nice close up focus.
    I have a question for you all-53535ae2423111e3896922000a1fbe1a_8.jpg

Posted via CB10
    Naeg1995 likes this.
    12-30-13 04:46 PM
    Q10 camera rocks
    12-30-13 05:06 PM
    I also think think the Q 10 camera is awesome.. I don't know why anyone would feel otherwise? It's right on par with the iphone 5 camera.. and the Z10 and Q10 have the same exact camera specs so it should be fine. However, you mentioned you wanted to "upgrade" to the Z, IMO there is NO upgrade from the Q buddy
    I have a question for you all-img_00000804.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 05:17 PM
    @mikebanjany lol I know! I wrote upgrade but what I mean is a "change" not much of an upgrade!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:12 PM
    I don't think it's like the 9930 vs 9850 with autofocus and not an auto focus. I agree that it should be the same specs. A downfall with the Z is the battery life if your used to the Q's longevity.

Via my Q
    12-30-13 06:36 PM
    Yes I'm used to the Q that I only charge it during the night when I sleep!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:40 PM
    @mikebanjany lol I know! I wrote upgrade but what I mean is a "change" not much of an upgrade!

Posted via CB10
    Haha "change" is more like it!

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:50 PM
    I also think think the Q 10 camera is awesome.. I don't know why anyone would feel otherwise? It's right on par with the iphone 5 camera.. and the Z10 and Q10 have the same exact camera specs so it should be fine. However, you mentioned you wanted to "upgrade" to the Z, IMO there is NO upgrade from the Q buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000804.jpg 
Views:	1157 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	234721

Posted via CB10
    For some of the things I use the Q10 for it is horrible, constantly trying to focus and moving the square focus doesn't help.
    I use both the Q10 and iphone daily and have never had issue with the iphone5 camera focusing.

It's clear we use our cameras for different things. Try scanning a document in an office setting and have the Q10 camera try and focus.
    But the statement "I don't know why anyone would feel otherwise" is such a blanket statement. Are you saying everyone is happy with the Q's camera.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:51 PM
    Happy Birthday, dimitrisgreece! :-)

I like the Q10 's camera, but I'm not a fine arts photographer. I get perfectly nice & focused images of friends and family, though. The only times I have trouble are when taking photos in low light - sometimes they come out a little too grainy. (I suspect I can adjust for that, but haven't explored how yet. )

Posted via my Q10, still on 10.1.0.4189
    12-30-13 07:02 PM
    Z30 all the way!
    12-30-13 07:14 PM
    For some of the things I use the Q10 for it is horrible, constantly trying to focus and moving the square focus doesn't help.
    I use both the Q10 and iphone daily and have never had issue with the iphone5 camera focusing.

It's clear we use our cameras for different things. Try scanning a document in an office setting and have the Q10 camera try and focus.
    But the statement "I don't know why anyone would feel otherwise" is such a blanket statement. Are you saying everyone is happy with the Q's camera.

Posted via CB10
    No I'm not saying everyone is happy with the Q10's camera.. every individual has their own opinion. For me, I don't use my camera for office or work related tasks, so I guess I stand corrected with my stement " I don't know why anyone else would feel otherwise." In your case, you use it for detailed photographs, which I do not. All in all, I still think the Q has a very good camera, the autofocus is just a little more difficult to use than the iphone 5.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 07:50 PM
    I've taken about 3000 photos with my Z10 (no experience on the Q10 or Z30), and find the Z10's camera acceptable to excellent, with the caveat of slow auto-focus, especially in low light. It does too much "hunting" around the focus point, meaning that you often have to be patient and work with it for 2-4 seconds to get a good shot, frequently by moving the focus/exposure square. So forget about quick snaps like you can usually get by with on an iPhone or a modern Samsung or HTC. I'm running the T-Mo US official 10.1.0.4200 software (I need WiFi calling).

Overall I find the camera acceptable but not a joy to use. Once focused and with the exposure tuned using the movable square, the Z10 pictures almost always look quite good to excellent, except for moderately high noise in low light. I'm able to reliably capture clear pictures of receipts and other text documents even in low light, good pictures of other smartphone screens for software test documentation, and have taken some stunning scenery pictures and portraits in a variety of lighting conditions. The face time-shift mode can work well, but I hate that you can't use zoom with it (at least on 10.0 and 10.1), so I rarely use it. The HDR mode can help with still shots in low light or back-lighting, but forget about it with any subject motion (no surprise).

I _love_ the color accuracy of the Z10's camera across a very wide range of light. That's one of the Z10's best features, including both camera and display color accuracy. To me that aspect slightly beats the iPhone 4S's camera (I have no experience with the 5 or 5S). For another brand comparison, the HTC One X from spring 2012 does a little better than the Z10 in low light (more bias toward averaging out noise, but loses some sharpness vs. Z10) and is significantly better on camera usability and quick focusing, but has a strong yellow-orange bias in low light that's fun on sunsets but bad on portraits.

I like my Z10 a lot for many reasons, especially the fast and non-frustrating touchscreen typing with auto-learning and word flicking. I'm way faster with it than on my 9810's small physical keyboard, and am not frustrated by typing on the Z10 the way I am on iPhones and Androids, even big ones with Swiftkey. So you might survive the loss of the Q10's keyboard pretty happily. Do buy a spare battery and expect to need a charger or a battery swap by late afternoon if you're using a Z10 much.

Performance: I have loaded a LOT of apps, filled up the phone and SD card storage, and the Z10 is still decently responsive, even with multiple apps running and many browser tabs open. I find the 4.2" size a good compromize; I would enjoy a Z30's larger screen for reading but can't justify the extra money. Look at swappa.com - you should be able to get a Z10 in great condition for $190-$250. For speed, I get 5-6Mbps on T-Mobile HSPA+ ("4G") and have seen up to 20-25 Mbps on fast WiFi and on both AT&T and T-Mobile LTE with a factory unlocked North America GSM Z10 STL-100-3 RFK121LW (same sub-model as the T-Mobile version, which will work on all T-Mo and AT&T 2G, HSPA+, and LTE bands once unlocked).

Conclusion: I'm happy with the Z10's camera as long as I can spend the time to set up the shot. I'm hopeful that 10.2 and future OS versions will continue to improve the auto-focus and camera options. Hope this helps, and good luck with your choice!
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    12-30-13 09:47 PM
    I've taken about 3000 photos with my Z10 (no experience on the Q10 or Z30), and find the Z10's camera acceptable to excellent, with the caveat of slow auto-focus, especially in low light. It does too much "hunting" around the focus point, meaning that you often have to be patient and work with it for 2-4 seconds to get a good shot, frequently by moving the focus/exposure square. So forget about quick snaps like you can usually get by with on an iPhone or a modern Samsung or HTC. I'm running the T-Mo US official 10.1.0.4200 software (I need WiFi calling).

Overall I find the camera acceptable but not a joy to use. Once focused and with the exposure tuned using the movable square, the Z10 pictures almost always look quite good to excellent, except for moderately high noise in low light. I'm able to reliably capture clear pictures of receipts and other text documents even in low light, good pictures of other smartphone screens for software test documentation, and have taken some stunning scenery pictures and portraits in a variety of lighting conditions. The face time-shift mode can work well, but I hate that you can't use zoom with it (at least on 10.0 and 10.1), so I rarely use it. The HDR mode can help with still shots in low light or back-lighting, but forget about it with any subject motion (no surprise).

I _love_ the color accuracy of the Z10's camera across a very wide range of light. That's one of the Z10's best features, including both camera and display color accuracy. To me that aspect slightly beats the iPhone 4S's camera (I have no experience with the 5 or 5S). For another brand comparison, the HTC One X from spring 2012 does a little better than the Z10 in low light (more bias toward averaging out noise, but loses some sharpness vs. Z10) and is significantly better on camera usability and quick focusing, but has a strong yellow-orange bias in low light that's fun on sunsets but bad on portraits.

I like my Z10 a lot for many reasons, especially the fast and non-frustrating touchscreen typing with auto-learning and word flicking. I'm way faster with it than on my 9810's small physical keyboard, and am not frustrated by typing on the Z10 the way I am on iPhones and Androids, even big ones with Swiftkey. So you might survive the loss of the Q10's keyboard pretty happily. Do buy a spare battery and expect to need a charger or a battery swap by late afternoon if you're using a Z10 much.

Performance: I have loaded a LOT of apps, filled up the phone and SD card storage, and the Z10 is still decently responsive, even with multiple apps running and many browser tabs open. I find the 4.2" size a good compromize; I would enjoy a Z30's larger screen for reading but can't justify the extra money. Look at swappa.com - you should be able to get a Z10 in great condition for $190-$250. For speed, I get 5-6Mbps on T-Mobile HSPA+ ("4G") and have seen up to 20-25 Mbps on fast WiFi and on both AT&T and T-Mobile LTE with a factory unlocked North America GSM Z10 STL-100-3 RFK121LW (same sub-model as the T-Mobile version, which will work on all T-Mo and AT&T 2G, HSPA+, and LTE bands once unlocked).

Conclusion: I'm happy with the Z10's camera as long as I can spend the time to set up the shot. I'm hopeful that 10.2 and future OS versions will continue to improve the auto-focus and camera options. Hope this helps, and good luck with your choice!
    Could not agree more, auto focus is a little slow doing its job, but when it eventually settles, the shot it does take is pretty nice. Also the colors you mentioned are perfect in my opinion as well. Very bright and saturated

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 05:23 AM
    Had a Q10 for 6 months - just got a Z10 last week as an addition.

So far, loving the Z10! Camera is the same from what I can see.

Compare BlackBerry Mobile Phones - Review Bold, Curve & Torch Smartphones - UK

Also, a BARGAIN from Carphone Warehouse at the moment �149 on PAYG or �189 SIM Free and unlocked.

I think the AMOLED screen in the Q10 is nicer though - but after using the Z10 for a couple of days, you REALLY notice the smaller screen on the Q10.

Prefer typing on the Q10 though.

Enjoy - the Z10 is still a fabulous 'phone!
    12-31-13 06:21 AM
    Thank you all!
    From my z10.

Posted via CB10
    Harry_III_UK likes this.
    12-31-13 08:59 AM
    You're welcome! Glad you got your Z, enjoy, and Happy New Year!
    12-31-13 10:03 AM
    From my z10. Posted via CB10

Enjoy your Z10!
    12-31-13 10:06 AM
    Happy Birthday and Happy New Year!
    Sometimes I feel like I need the bigger screen too but I haven't really thought of changing to Z10. Now that you started mentioning it I'm thinking a bit lol. I was worried with the typing but I heard from the people here that typing in z10 is awesome but I like feeling the keys of this mobile.

Posted via the Amazing Q10 10.2.0.415
    01-01-14 12:34 AM
    Happy Birthday to you!

Anyway, I own a Z10, as you'll be able to tell from my signature.

The other day, I went over to some shop, and compared everything with the Q10, specially the camera, because I love to take photos on this thing. What I tried was setting both of then to take photos in a 1:1 ratio, and took the photo of the same thing at the same time.

It was hard to tell the difference of the photos, as their screen types are different, making the photos appear different. On the Z10 screen, showing more lively colours, while the Q10 appeared to show the photos more 'vibrant'.

So with that said, what I did is transfer both photos to each other via NFC, so I'll have them both show up in the same display type and size.

In all honesty, I was completely unable to tell the difference between photos. I would have attached the photos to this post, but I've deleted them right after testing.

From my experience, I believe both cameras are just as effective as each other, although I personally think that the photos show better on the Z10's LCD display. So if you plan on showing off photos straight from your phone, then the Z10 should pull that off nicely.

BlackBerry Z10 / 10.2.0.1791
    01-01-14 12:45 AM
    Thank you all!
    From my z10.

Posted via CB10
    Happy Birthday! And a happy new Year 2014!
    You couldn't wait eh??
    :-)
    Enjoy your new phone!
    Btw: I am patiently waiting for the "bigger Q", either Q30 or Q50, dunno what they'll call it!

Posted via my BlackBerry*Q10, Germany
    01-01-14 01:07 AM
    Happy Birthday OP. Well, I know from where you coming.. the confusion.. whether to go for a bigger screen or not.. Trust me, if you already have a Q10.. then there's no need to buy a Z10/Z30.. Still, if you looking for a multimedia purpose device, I would suggest you to either pick a iPad Air/Mini retina display.. that will last longer and has got much more utility.. Carrying two phones IMO is quite stressful(I am carrying two.. personal and one given by office)

Good luck buddy!
    01-01-14 01:45 AM