All Apple devices have been successfully infected by the NSA with spyware, according to new documents published by Der Speigel, the German magazine.

We first saw the story on The Daily Dot, and it is chilling:

An NSA program called DROPOUTJEEP allows the agency to intercept SMS messages, access contact lists, locate a phone using cell tower data, and even activate the device�s microphone and camera.

... According to leaked documents, the NSA claims a 100 percent success rate when it comes to implanting iOS devices with spyware. The documents suggest that the NSA needs physical access to a device to install the spyware�something the agency has achieved by rerouting shipments of devices purchased online�but a remote version of the exploit is also in the works.
    Read More: NSA Has Spyware Backdoor On iPhone - Business Insider
    12-30-13 01:46 PM
    I wouldn't be surprised if Der Speigel's distribution numbers for the US are starting to rise......
    12-30-13 02:49 PM
    I think more handsets have been infiltrated by the cancer, not only iPhone. The NSA policies have done immense damage to the US image, irrespective of how you look at it or on what side of the fence you are. I've seen another article where desktop pc's have been intercepted by them before delivery to plant their bugs. I believe it has recently been ruled constitutional, but what do I know.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 03:21 PM
    There is a story on this here:
    How The NSA Hacks Your iPhone (Presenting DROPOUT JEEP) | Zero Hedge
    with a few more details. The validity of which are unknown, but I think Der Speigel would not want to be getting sued over this BOMBSHELL!
    12-30-13 03:47 PM
    This isn't really news, as has already been reported, they do this with BB also

How the NSA Spies on Smartphones Including the BlackBerry - SPIEGEL ONLINE
    12-30-13 04:01 PM
    This isn't really news, as has already been reported, they do this with BB also

How the NSA Spies on Smartphones Including the BlackBerry - SPIEGEL ONLINE
    That article is more about intercepting communications, which can be done with any phone by exploiting any of the several things that a message must pass through to get from one device to another. This document reveals that the NSA can, in fact, plant local spyware onto the device. That's a lot more powerful - it means even your offline data is no longer secure, not to mention that they can turn on your camera and microphone whenever they please.
    12-30-13 04:13 PM
    That article is more about intercepting communications, which can be done with any phone by exploiting any of the several things that a message must pass through to get from one device to another. This document reveals that the NSA can, in fact, plant local spyware onto the device. That's a lot more powerful - it means even your offline data is no longer secure, not to mention that they can turn on your camera and microphone whenever they please.
    It talks about how they celebrated breaking BB encryption, which would apply outside of intercepting cell data.
    12-30-13 04:34 PM
    It talks about how they celebrated breaking BB encryption, which would apply outside of intercepting cell data.
    Perhaps I worded my original post poorly, my apologies, but yes I noticed that - they say they've broken through "encrypted BES communication." My point really was that this latest piece of news relates to installing spyware to access offline data, which is a step beyond intercepting communication, and a pretty important revelation as such - especially on a device that packs a fingerprint reader.
    donmateo and 00stryder like this.
    12-30-13 04:39 PM
    Installing spyware and breaking BB code are two different things.

According to the document, problems with the processing of BlackBerry data were suddenly encountered in May and June 2009, problems the agents attributed to a data compression method newly introduced by the manufacturer.
    12-30-13 04:40 PM
    The NSA policies have done immense damage to the US image, irrespective of how you look at it or on what side of the fence you are.
    I am an American and fully 100% support the NSA. I believe that the NSA is performing ordinary spying operations that practically every major world power conducts. Furthermore, the extent of NSA (and other foreign body) spying has always been publicly known. The recent controversy is merely the result of staunch anti-Americanism.

But even with the NSA out of the equation, you'd be a fool to think China and Russia and Israel and whatever random lower radar nation isn't already in your smartphone and computer.

I do hope that others that share my perspective take more of a stand. I know that the South Park creators have conveyed on the show that the proper (American) reaction should have always been indifference; but, the overwhelmingly liberal media continues to portray the US as doing something out of the ordinary or wrong.

American leftists that extol figures like Snowden or Assange are making the nation a lamb lead to the slaughter. It does not require a major power to overtake a wealthier albeit complacent, pacifist society as demonstrated throughout the history by Mongols and other barbarians.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 12-30-13 at 05:04 PM.
    abramadhi likes this.
    12-30-13 04:53 PM
    The Supreme Court ruled the 4th Amendment guarantees "the privacy, dignity and security of persons against certain arbitrary and invasive acts by officers of the Government, without regard to whether the government actor is investigating crime or performing another function."

I have not committed any crimes, terrorism, etc. in my life, I do not see the probable cause to be on my phone.
    12-30-13 04:57 PM
    I am an American and fully 100% support the NSA. I believe that the NSA is performing ordinary spying operations that practically every major world power performs. Furthermore, the extent of NSA (and other foreign body) spying has always been publicly known. The recent controversy is merely the result of staunch anti-Americanism. But even with the NSA out of the equation, you'd be a fool to think China and Russia and Israel and whatever random lower radar nation isn't already in your smartphone and computer.
    You call this ordinary? Breaking through damn-nearly every secure barrier known to the Internet is ordinary? If the Internet didn't exist, the equivalent of this would have been to break into your home (without probable cause) everyday to run through your mailbox, your cabinets, your bank statements, and basically anything else they can get their hands on. This is just more convenient. It's insanely intrusive and we have yet to see any real benefit from it. And no, the "everybody's doing it" defense isn't going to fly, that's besides the point.
    12-30-13 05:00 PM
    I doubt this will have much of an effect on Apple's deal with China Mobile... but I can't see how having back doors on your products for the USA to use at will helps foreign relations.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 05:01 PM
    Well said LazyEvul ... I had to make sure someone corrected this delusional way of thinking.

Now I leave you with a quote:
    Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither and will lose both. - Benjamin Franklin
    12-30-13 05:19 PM
    The Supreme Court ruled the 4th Amendment guarantees "the privacy, dignity and security of persons against certain arbitrary and invasive acts by officers of the Government, without regard to whether the government actor is investigating crime or performing another function."

I have not committed any crimes, terrorism, etc. in my life, I do not see the probable cause to be on my phone.
    Except that the definition of the Internet is PUBLIC infrastructure, not private.
    12-30-13 06:32 PM
    Except that the definition of the Internet is PUBLIC infrastructure, not private.
    Although that argument has many flaws, did you read the OP? We're talking spyware on your private phone which can access offline data.
    Levi_Asaiah likes this.
    12-30-13 06:34 PM
    But what you do with the so called public infrastructure should be private.

The

Z30/Bell - Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 06:39 PM
    Brainwashed...guess if they asked you would comply.

Posted via CB10
    Levi_Asaiah likes this.
    12-30-13 06:42 PM
    I am an American and fully 100% support the NSA. I believe that the NSA is performing ordinary spying operations that practically every major world power conducts. Furthermore, the extent of NSA (and other foreign body) spying has always been publicly known. The recent controversy is merely the result of staunch anti-Americanism.

But even with the NSA out of the equation, you'd be a fool to think China and Russia and Israel and whatever random lower radar nation isn't already in your smartphone and computer.

I do hope that others that share my perspective take more of a stand. I know that the South Park creators have conveyed on the show that the proper (American) reaction should have always been indifference; but, the overwhelmingly liberal media continues to portray the US as doing something out of the ordinary or wrong.

American leftists that extol figures like Snowden or Assange are making the nation a lamb lead to the slaughter. It does not require a major power to overtake a wealthier albeit complacent, pacifist society as demonstrated throughout the history by Mongols and other barbarians.
    The fact that you basically just said the constitution is useless because it doesn't exist in other countries makes the entirety of your comment unreadable. It's a joke. I'm not on the "left" and I don't agree with anything the NSA does, why? Because by their own admissions, all of the effort and money spent has stopped 0 terrorist attacks.

(repost) feel free to report this one as well.
    12-30-13 07:00 PM

To fully support the NSA in this is unamerican almost by definition. Everything that is good about the very idea of America run contrary to this disgraceful behaviour by the NSA. Just look at the countries you have compared the US to. Israel? Russia? One is a present-day apartheid state with a disgusting human rights record, and whose leader couldn't even go to Mandela's funeral because it would have been too awkward. China and Russia are too obvious to talk about.

If you have any real interest in your own nation's culture and history, you will reflect on what you are supporting. The whole point of America as an idea is that it's supposed to be different from the other countries you mentioned.
    Snowden has exposed America (and the UK) as fraudulent and hypocritical. You really sound like you would be much happier in Weimar Germany, or communist East Germany, to be honest.

I would suggest you stop being frightened of terrorists and monsters under the bed, and reconsider what it means to be patriotic. Snowden, in regards to exposing the NSA, is not a traitor but a true American who is helping all of us see how far our governments have gone beyond the boundaries of what is right.

I'd love a response to the following question: do you believe in America as a free, democratic nation, based on the inalienable rights of individual liberty and equality? If so, don't you think your people should be able to vote for, or at least be aware of, complete surveillance of their lives? Personally, I'm disgusted with the US, and the UK for the extent of the spying that is taking place. It's actually quite shocking that the general public haven't been more upset. Really, I think, with due respect, you're completely out to lunch buddy.

Posted via CB10
    pungster, m1kr0, LazyEvul and 10 others like this.
    12-30-13 07:00 PM

The moment freedom and privacy and individual rights are no longer sacred, society at large will have to do deep introspection, like other posters have already eluded to.

�It�s been easy for competitors to promote negative stories about BlackBerry, focusing on the business of the past. But I�m not focused on who BlackBerry used to be � I�m focused on what BlackBerry will be today and in the future.� John Chen, December 2013
    donmateo likes this.
    12-30-13 10:33 PM

Hopefully you are not buying a new laptop. NSA has begun intercepting their shipments to install spyware on them. Do you want them to have access to all of your personal information without having to present evidence to a court and obtaining a warrant?

NSA reportedly intercepting laptops purchased online to install spy malware | The Verge
    KoreyTM likes this.
    12-30-13 11:01 PM

That is horrible spin. You work for NSA? Anyone who doesn't support freedom and democracy is what?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:31 PM
    That is horrible spin. You work for NSA? Anyone who doesn't support freedom and democracy is what?

Posted via CB10
    But they're protecting our freedoms!!! At the expense of... our freedo... wait...
    12-31-13 02:14 AM
    Haha I love when the America gets into a civil flame war on a web forum.

Seriously though, the best part is any of you ever thought you had privacy or security to begin with. Human kind is a social race and is inherently insecure and non private. keep on segregating that will serve us well in the future.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 04:47 AM
74 123