Here's a quick look at the NSA's method to backdoor iPhones. A software implant internally known as DROPOUTJEEP gives them the ability to remotely push/pull files, SMS retrieval, contact list retrieval, voicemail, geolocation, microphone, camera, etc..

Now remember - this page is dated 2008 ('07 at the bottom) so it's possible that their capabilities have advanced even further by now.

Image Source: Der Spiegel

Read More from The Verge

Watch Jacob Appelbaum's hour long talk at the 30c3 Conference:
    12-30-13 11:22 AM
    When it rains, it pours.

Now the alleged comment from an NSA insider in response to a question about what sort of damage Snowden's leaks have done to the agency, on a scale of 1-10 was, makes sense.

His response? 11.
    12-30-13 11:28 AM
    Watch Jacob Appelbaum's hour long talk at the 30c3 Conference:
    Thanks for posting this. It was an hour well spent. There are those that claim that the whole NSA threat is "overblown". Perhaps they should view this video.
    01-01-14 12:16 PM
    i kinda wish i didn't watch that video.. it's amazing the technology theyve employed (sending radiation to some chip thats integrated in a vga cable in order to seize the onscreen picture? meanwhile exposing the user in RF rays JESUS CHRIST) they go as far as firmware on a HD and BIOS on your motherboard? the chip integrated in the USB plug... SIM cards.. this kind of research & development is mind blowing
    01-01-14 06:58 PM
    01-01-14 10:21 PM
    Scary Stuff......
    01-02-14 04:21 PM
    I wonder what will happen if we find out that they've also completely broken the back of BlackBerry's security coding...

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 04:26 PM
    This doesn't bother me at all. I don't do anything that warrants me being concerned....With the USA's fight against terrorism, there needs to be some means of the USA protecting itself and spying is one very good weapon in its arsenal.....stopping trying to control the world may be another, but its far less fun for some. I hope the Brits have the same too.
    01-02-14 04:33 PM
    I wonder what will happen if we find out that they've also completely broken the back of BlackBerry's security coding...

Posted via CB10
    If an agency has physical access to the device, it's just a matter of time.

That's always been the way with devices. I doubt you'll find anything that has ever been made electronically that is totally secure. There is always someone out there who can reverse engineer. How many millions were spent on play station and xbox drm security to just be overrode by software, added on chips or a combination of both?

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 04:39 PM
    This doesn't bother me at all. I don't do anything that warrants me being concerned....With the USA's fight against terrorism, there needs to be some means of the USA protecting itself and spying is one very good weapon in its arsenal.....stopping trying to control the world may be another, but its far less fun for some. I hope the Brits have the same too.
    you may want to watch the video before you stand by what you say
    savvy_cowgirl likes this.
    01-06-14 11:44 AM