Need help,

I have a Rogers Bold unlocked, I was in the U.S. for 10 days using a Tmobile chip and had followed the directions in the thread
    forums.crackberry.com/f83/howto-get-all-features-wap-browser-mms-working-t-mobile-usa-unlocked-bold-81554

when I came back to where I live (otside U.S.) I put my carriers chip in and fired it up. everything was fine. My carrier has a 3g network so I went to mobile network options and selected 3g. for a few secons 3g BB logo and signal came up, then signal lost (sos) dispalyed. I tried 2g&3g option still no signal. When I slect 2g, i get signal and EDGE.

I was running .162, so I upgraded to AT&T .167 (deleted vendor file).
    After upgrade, i got the same thing no signal with 3g selected, but will get signal EDGE with 2g & 3g selected, or 2g.

Also I had beeen using my chip on a 8800 previously.

So questions

would my chip have anything to do with being able to get 3g, ie would I need a new chip from carrier if i had been using a phone not 3g capeable before?

could the process descibed in threat to use on Tmobile have affected anything?

when you upgrade to a new os, do you need to delete the old os from your computer. (i was expecting to see different items on my bold when I upgraded to AT&T .167, but everything looks the same. checked about screen and says .167.) also when I booted up after .167 upgraded I recieved a welcome message from rogers,

could service books have anything to do with this either? the carried does not have bold yet?

any ideas or suggestions welcome,

Thanks
    Last edited by Buckn8r; 11-01-08 at 05:02 PM.
    11-01-08 04:57 PM
    it is possible if you dont have a 3g SIM but have you used that phone on ur 3g network before?
    11-01-08 05:16 PM
    no I have not used this phone on this network before. So getting 3g is sim specific?

Thanks

and S/F
    11-01-08 05:25 PM
    problem solved the bb bold doesn't do tmobiles crazy 3g band.
    so edge is your only hope.

edit, so your not on US tmobile anymore?
    what country and network are you using?
    Last edited by sarky; 11-01-08 at 05:31 PM.
    11-01-08 05:28 PM
    Sharky,

in Middle east on Vodaphone. They have a 3g network, but they have not brought Bold here yet. So I am woundering, service books, or sim?
    11-01-08 05:36 PM
    Sharky,

in Middle east on Vodaphone. They have a 3g network, but they have not brought Bold here yet. So I am woundering, service books, or sim?
    yeah if they dont have the service books it probably wont work... or if theyre 3g MHZ are different. im not too familiar with vodaphone over there but are they atleast planning on getting the bold? or just the storm? if the arent going to get the bold then there will be no hope for 3g due to a network problem im sure
    11-01-08 05:44 PM
    I was afraid it might be a service book issue, but it was wierd that it picked it up for a few seconds and then dropped it.

does it require a different sim to pic up 3g?

if it is a service book thing, would a similer procedure to the one used to make bold work on tmob be a possibility. Ie someone post there service books (at$T) and I load them?
    11-01-08 05:49 PM
    it would work but you wont be on the 3g network. if vodaphone is like tmobile US then they have one of the MHZ required to use the bold on a 3g network but not the other which might be why it picks it up and then drops it. i check a site for you and it said that its compatiable with your network... have you set up your BIS/BES yet? if not set that up and send the service books or if you have resend the service books
    11-01-08 05:56 PM
    it would work but you wont be on the 3g network. if vodaphone is like tmobile US then they have one of the MHZ required to use the bold on a 3g network but not the other which might be why it picks it up and then drops it. i check a site for you and it said that its compatiable with your network... have you set up your BIS/BES yet? if not set that up and send the service books or if you have resend the service books
    Yes I have set up the BIS and sent service books. Which site did you check to see it was compatible?

anyone have an idea if it could be sim related or service book related?
    11-01-08 06:05 PM
    Yes I have set up the BIS and sent service books. Which site did you check to see it was compatible?

anyone have an idea if it could be sim related or service book related?
    you might try going to options>advanced>hosting routing table and then hit menu and look for register now i think.

and the site i went to was import gsm... if you click the bold and scroll down it will say "will this phone work with my carrier" click that and then it will ask you what carrier... i just selected international vodaphone.
    11-01-08 06:10 PM
    Well my friend Google turned this up:

What is the difference between a 3G SIM card and a normal SIM card?

M1 3G G SIM has been specified by 3GPP to be the SIM for 3G Network. It features better Authentication Mechanism such that it is not easily cloned. For the M1 Network, 2G SIM can allow customer only to log on to 2G Network and not the 3G Network.

I had called the service provider but the guy wasn't mauch help, sop in the neck of the woods. So hopefully a trip to the service provider to ask for a new chip will do the trick.
    11-01-08 06:42 PM
    Yup... let us know how it goes!
    11-01-08 08:02 PM
    Hey Buckn8r,
    Also a Zain user..and also experiencing the same problem with the scenarios u described (dropping network when restricting network to 3G). Briefly yesterday while on the road, the 3G icon did show up on its own for a good 5 minutes...but then disappeared (Im currently on the 2g and 3g option). Im not sure if it is a sim card problem or a network problem but I hope it can be solved....anyway please do let us know what you find out
    11-02-08 05:52 AM
    Hypo,

I got a new chip today and same problem. Talked to another Zain rep and he said the blackberry service is not on 3g at this time only 2g. I guess it makes sense since they don't have the Bold yet. Hopefully that will change sometime soon. Oh well still a cool phone, even on 2g. You in Kuwait?
    11-02-08 11:49 AM
    Yeah I figured as much....hopefully theyll change that soon....Yup in Kuwait too...surprised to see quite a few bolds around actually...
    11-03-08 12:46 AM
    I have mine set to #g permanently, hence not an issue that the bold will drop the network......cos 2G in my country is slowly phasing out,cheers pal
    11-03-08 09:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD