Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:07 AM
    BlackBerry shows little desire to market itself and it seems the job has been entirely left to the BlackBerry Faithful. Is it really our responsibility?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:09 AM
    Kit can market whatever it wants whenever it wants

12-29-13 08:13 AM

It was suppose to be "it".......lol but I can't correct it over the app.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:19 AM
    I know just having a little fun with ya
    12-29-13 08:20 AM
    No, but everyone who is enthusiastic about their own little piece of tech kit thinks it's the best of it's kind. You see that everywhere, not just BlackBerry. EG Is it the job of many people on this forum to do Google or Samsung or Apple's marketing? No, yet it happens constantly on this forum.

And they don't even need the help!

Posted via CB10
    canuckvoip likes this.
    12-29-13 08:31 AM
    No, but everyone who is enthusiastic about their own little piece of tech kit thinks it's the best of it's kind. You see that everywhere, not just BlackBerry. EG Is it the job of many people on this forum to do Google or Samsung or Apple's marketing? No, yet it happens constantly on this forum.

Posted via CB10
    Yes but they advertise heavily. BlackBerry in Canada only has a lame spot during the National News that I know of.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 09:39 AM
    No it is not the job of a fan to promote the platform. It is the job of the corporation to have a competent marketing team and to actually care about what people think about them.

BlackBerrys lack of marketing make it seem like they don't care, and it will continue to make people not care about them or even consider them as a choice.

They don't need to spend as much as Apple and Samsung (they can't afford to anyways), but they need to do something.

Now that they are focusing on enterprise, I don't see the trend changing any time soon.

RIM didn't need advertising back when BB was unquestionably the best and word of mouth was their lifeline. Now that lifeline has crumbled as their users continue to defect. This is where they need to come in and do something.
    12-29-13 09:47 AM
    No it's not because i am not paod by BlackBerry to do their job for them.
    When their former head of marketing is canned and gets a million dollar pay day for his failure don't expect me to do the work he obligated to perform. On a side note i guess boulben wasn't present when they said to go and "sell like hell " rotfl!

Posted via CB10
    Poirots Progeny and milo53 like this.
    12-29-13 09:50 AM
    No it isn't. If a family member, friend or coworker asks for an opinion, I tell them the good and bad of each platform I am familiar with. I don't want to push, nor is it my job to promote one brand over another.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    12-29-13 09:53 AM
    You mean advertising I guess, since marketing involves things like choosing the correct price points, etc. (?)

No it's not the customer's job. But there is nothing better than a satisfied customer and word of mouth.

It is BlackBerry's job to provide products that CAN be "marketed". Products that are perceived to be a good value for the price paid and that appeal to specific needs that are un-addressed (wholly or in part) by competitors . I agree with a lot of posts on here that folks do not for the most part see the devices as "equals" to iPhone and top end Android phones, yet the pricing is set to suggest as much.

To more directly respond to your question, I think until BlackBerry stokes the fire and generates some real interest, it is mostly a waste of the time of the "faithful" to push BlackBerry.
    12-29-13 10:01 AM
    BlackBerry shows little desire to market itself and it seems the job has been entirely left to the BlackBerry Faithful. Is it really our responsibility?

Posted via CB10
    I think the reality is more that BlackBerry has shown in the past little desire to market itself. Evidence indicates that the belief internally -- under old management -- was that the market was just waiting for the next big thing from the company, and the public was ready to clamor over whatever they pushed out the door. Since there was very little change in management under Heins, that attitude prevailed, which brought to fruition the biggest risk of moving someone internal into the top executive spot. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest that Chen won't allow that misguided and ill-advised strategy to continue. Of course, much of that will depend on what direction the company is going to take in regards to the consumer market.

To answer the question bluntly, no, it is not our responsibility, and it's just plain dumb for a company to assume that it would be sufficient to do so.
    southlander, JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    12-29-13 10:05 AM
    Agreed. No it isn't the "fans" responsibility to advertise the product. Word of mouth amongst peers is one thing, if asked for advice; proactively promoting a product they can't or won't promote themselves: no. Unless there's some form of remuneration.

I did my "job" in supporting the company by buying the entire range of bb10 products, in cash. They've never asked for more and i would not give it without something back.

And i don't ever see that happening. It would descend into farce imo.

Sent from Tapatalk
    Laura Knotek and TGR1 like this.
    12-29-13 10:16 AM
    It is not the fans or users responsibility, bit BlackBerry thinks it is, and "Sell like Hell" is proof of that. The problem is that BlackBerry has too much negative word of mouth because most users are Enterprise users using locked down BBOS devices that many of the people actually using them don't like but are forced to use for work. BlackBerry thought they could run one horrible Super Bowl add that showed nothing about the phone, the phone wasn't even available in that market, and people would by tons and word of mouth would do the rest. They thought their "Strong Carrier Partners" would push the phone.

Basically every assumption they made was wrong, and just proves that the executives groomed in Waterloo were out of touch with reality! Hopefully Chen, who thankfully hasn't been tainted by the BlackBerry corporate culture, will bring a realistic view of the market and the plans will reflect this.

Posted via CB10
    Laura Knotek and TGR1 like this.
    12-29-13 11:37 AM
    I'm not doing it anymore. I was burned and embarrassed too many times.
    Saiga, mithrazor and milo53 like this.
    12-29-13 11:53 AM
    A fan can do whatever he or she pleases. If BlackBerry need to hire them to do better marketing then so be it lol...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 11:55 AM
    Kit markets Kitself, I once bought a kit, cause i say kit on TV….. But i didn't know where to go buy kit. So i had to ask people if they knew what kit was, but nobody knew so i said Fukit….
    12-29-13 11:57 AM
    That is true - i do sometimes think the fans can do so much better lol

Sent from Tapatalk
    Dave Bourque likes this.
    12-29-13 11:57 AM
    That is true - i do sometimes think the fans can do so much better lol

Sent from Tapatalk
    Then they shouldn't have burnt the fans. I pushed PlayBook to people telling them the company committed to bring BB10 to it so the apps would come and it would continue to get better. Burnt. I kept telling people BB10 was coming in Q1 2012, then Summer 2012, then Q4 2012. Burnt. I don't bad mouth them, but I no longer recommend them or argue when someone throws out the BlackBerry is dead line. BlackBerry simply doesn't care about their credibility and I won't put mine in jeopardy any more. They need to rebuild the brand. They need to show loyalty to the fans as Chen stated. They have a lot of work to do!

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB and m1a1mg like this.
    12-29-13 12:32 PM
    A fan can do whatever he or she pleases. If BlackBerry need to hire them to do better marketing then so be it lol...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    The question wasn't if they can or can not do it, the question was if it is their job.

The answer to that question is no. Promoting something because you want to if fine, but it is not your job to unless you are being paid or are hired by BlackBerry.
    Laura Knotek and JeepBB like this.
    12-29-13 12:40 PM
    The question wasn't if they can or can not do it, the question was if it is their job.

The answer to that question is no. Promoting something because you want to if fine, but it is not your job to unless you are being paid or are hired by BlackBerry.
    It's not their job . Of course lol

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-29-13 12:44 PM

Posted via CB10
    Are you sure they don't need help?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 12:45 PM
    It's not their job . Of course lol

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Exactly.

I can see many fans being happy if BlackBerry hired them to do this though. They would probably even do it for a low price.
    12-29-13 12:47 PM
    I don't think there is any evidence that Blackberry expects its fans to do their marketing for them. Word of mouth is overrated anyway. People may tell each other what they think of their device but few people to around to their family, friends; and coworkers evangelizing about their device.

Once in a while someone here feels like it's their calling to go out and spread the word but I imagine most people politely placate those zealots by saying something like "Wow, that is nice ..." while trying to change the subject
    12-29-13 12:48 PM

Trololololololo
    12-29-13 12:54 PM
60 123