Hi all. I've been a long time Treo user and ever since I heard about the Storm, I've been considering switching to a Blackberry.

One of the concerns I have is I cannot miss incoming calls. With the Treo, when I'm online, my incoming calls go directly to voicemail and I have no way of finding out until I get offline and get a new voicemail notification.

I read on the Blackberry website about simultaneous voice and data connectivity.

"The HSPA network and the BlackBerry Storm smartphone�s 528-MHz processor combine to support your need to multitask and prioritize without falling behind or out of touch. Designed to provide you with access to your voice and data services at the same time, it helps you get more out of every day."

Then the footnote on it says, "Simultaneous voice and data connectivity is only available when the BlackBerry Storm smartphone is connected to a HSPA GSM network."

(Sorry for the large picture. I wanted everyone to be able to see the text.)

Does this mean that even if you're online browsing the web, using the GPS, or whatever, you'll still get your incoming calls?

How about on CDMA (Verizon in particular)?

As I read through, it seems like someone here is an employee for Verizon Wireless. Can you try this out and let us know?
    11-01-08 06:51 AM
    I dont think the employees have access to the device yet however I will say that because the storm is a verizon product in the USA id be pretty sure that this feature would definetly work on there network...

Basically what it means is that pretty much anything you do on the device wont interupt the fact that you get incoming calls...

Services could possibly pause or stop running (things like the media player pausing so you can hear the conversation)

but the claim is that the device can do data actions while calling and talking on the phone including sending pictures or emails while in a conference call or whatever...
    11-01-08 06:59 AM
    Verizon doesn't support this although the phone is capable of it. The situation with your Treo is odd because mine paused data and went to the phone when it rang and continued after the call.
    11-01-08 07:00 AM
    With the Treo, I think the data portion automatically pauses once the page is done loading (or a few seconds after). Then I do receive incoming calls. But when I move to a different page and the page is loading, my calls go directly to voicemail. I got fed up with some angry people that try to call me so I had been using my Treo with data disabled... which really sucked.

For those of you using Blackberry, does the Blackberry do the same thing or do you guys get incoming calls without any problems while using the data service?
    11-01-08 07:08 AM
    not sure if this is the same...but I can send SMS messages from my Treo while on the phone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-08 07:36 AM
    I don't think it will work with Verizon but I have a friend whose bold does this on Vodafone in Germany
    11-01-08 07:51 AM
    Voice & Data is one of the advantages of HSPA/UMTS over EVDO.
    11-01-08 08:05 AM
    Not sure if this is the same either, but I can send and recieve/view txt msg's while talking on the phone with my dare too.
    11-01-08 08:48 AM
    When using the blackberry for data on the verizon network phone calls always take priority. I.E. While surfing the net on the phone the call will override the internet and stop data transmissions and go to the call. It does the same thing when using the phone as a tethered modem.

11-01-08 08:59 AM
    Not sure if this is the same either, but I can send and recieve/view txt msg's while talking on the phone with my dare too.
    No it's not the same. Voice & Data is like browsing the web and talking on the device at the same time.
    11-01-08 09:00 AM
    When using the blackberry for data on the verizon network phone calls always take priority. I.E. While surfing the net on the phone the call will override the internet and stop data transmissions and go to the call. It does the same thing when using the phone as a tethered modem.

This is true! I had my Treo 700 so long ago now, I don't recall what it did. But my last 3 phones 8830, i760, & XV6800 would all kill the EVDO mobile broadband in favor of letting the phone call thru.

I actually experience the reverse feelings as the OP who started this thread. I will be looking something up on the Internet or trying to send an email and be irritated by getting a call prior to the page being able to finish loading or the email having been sent. Then it pauses and won't finish until I hang up with the caller. I'm not complaining because if I had to choose one over the other I would choose letting the call thru, but I do wish Verizon supported both.

Long story short, if getting your calls thru is important, you shouldn't have a problem, from my experiences.
    11-01-08 09:10 AM
    yes you can send/recieve sms while on a call.

As with the blackberry and treo (err all vzw pda/smartphones). If you are on the web and recieve a call the data will pause until the call is ended or goes to vm. You will not be able to browse/mms/email while actually on a call. No matter the phone the voice call has priority over the data so the phone will advise of the call. (as long as the device is working properly)
    11-01-08 09:18 AM
    That's weird that your Palm went into voicemail while you were browsing. I never had that problem. If I was using the browser, it would stop and start ringing.
    11-01-08 10:29 AM
    EVDO doesn't support Voice & Data. You can't browse and talk on the phone, you can't send emails and browse. Things like that. However with HSPA you can. As I said, it's one of the advantages to HSPA over EVDO.

And yes I can send receive sms/text on EDGE also.
    11-01-08 10:36 AM
    EVDO doesn't support Voice & Data. You can't browse and talk on the phone, you can't send emails and browse. Things like that. However with HSPA you can. As I said, it's one of the advantages to HSPA over EVDO.

And yes I can send receive sms/text on EDGE also.
    Wow. That is a HUGE advantage IMO. I would love to be able to maybe talk to someone via bluetooth while browsing the web.
    11-01-08 11:39 AM
    Hey CX, isn't the roll to LTE supposed to offer this as a 'futuristic' service...

Now I realize that until LTE hits and we actually see how it works with hardware and such it's pure speculation, but 'rumor has it' that LTE will enable the dual channels in the Storm?

Any insider info on that one?
    11-01-08 11:54 AM
    That's weird that your Palm went into voicemail while you were browsing. I never had that problem. If I was using the browser, it would stop and start ringing.
    Damn, I thought that's just the way it had to be but maybe I just had a faulty phone.

Hey CX, isn't the roll to LTE supposed to offer this as a 'futuristic' service...

Now I realize that until LTE hits and we actually see how it works with hardware and such it's pure speculation, but 'rumor has it' that LTE will enable the dual channels in the Storm?

What's LTE? Like one mentioned, it would be awesome to talk to somebody on the bluetooth and browse the web at the same time...
    11-01-08 03:04 PM
    LTE= Long Term Evolution, which is 4G (GSM pathway, I believe). The star of LTE is that it will use an AIPN (all-IP-network). The network should allow simultaneous data and voice transmissions.

(I read about it on Wikipedia, so I am not well versed in cellphone tech).

Last edited by sgtmilstack; 11-01-08 at 03:16 PM.
    11-01-08 03:13 PM

nooo there was a rumour months ago that the storm would have LTE but seeing as though there are no final chipsets yet the Storm wont support it. Especially seeing as though verizon and rim will love to sell you a new blackberry. LTE will not be going live for at least 2 years anyway.
    11-01-08 04:11 PM
    Voice & Data is one of the advantages of HSPA/UMTS over EVDO.
    I also thought that EVDO Rev a offered this as well. I thought it was one of the advantages to Rev a.

This is one of the links that confused me.

Nortel Demonstrates EVDO Rev A : EVDOinfo.com

By not understanding this technology, I tought the article was claiming that this is the nature of the EVDO Rev A technology
    11-28-08 12:22 AM
    I also thought that EVDO Rev a offered this as well. I thought it was one of the advantages to Rev a.

This is one of the links that confused me.

Nortel Demonstrates EVDO Rev A : EVDOinfo.com

By not understanding this technology, I tought the article was claiming that this is the nature of the EVDO Rev A technology
    You misread the article. They're talking about VOIP (voice over IP), which is data. The phone is only using the data channel and not the voice channel. You could talk with another person running a VOIP app, but you can't talk with any other normal phone unless there's a gateway in the middle (like with Skype-to-phone).

EVDO Rev 0/A does not support simultaneous voice & data. Sorry.
    11-28-08 07:46 AM
    by the sound of it we would have to wait till rev. B comes out and is in verizons network.

EVDO Rev B : EVDOinfo.com

I had just done a quick search and found this.
    11-28-08 08:23 AM
    by the sound of it we would have to wait till rev. B comes out and is in verizons network.

EVDO Rev B : EVDOinfo.com

I had just done a quick search and found this.
    Will we see EVDO Rev B or will this not make the market because of LTE?

Any guess as to when we will see a blackberry with simultaneous voice and data on the verizon network?
    11-28-08 10:50 AM
    Will we see EVDO Rev B or will this not make the market because of LTE?

Any guess as to when we will see a blackberry with simultaneous voice and data on the verizon network?
    Considering the current timeline for LTE - I would see no scenario where Rev B would make it to a phone. LTE is currently scheduled for testing next year and roll out in 2010 on Verizon (2012 on ATT I think). I don't see Verizon investing in updates to EVDO in the next 12-18 months given that timeframe.
    11-28-08 10:54 AM
    If you're Treo is on Sprint, it's prolly a setting in the phone. When I had the Instinct, data was taking priority over voice. There was a setting in the phone you could change (I don't remember what it was) that gave voice priority back. But it was deep in the settings.

This is an advantage AT&T does have over VZ that I've envied, some times. However my gf has a nasty habit of browsing the web while talking with me. You can almost hear her mind wander away into the Macy's website
    11-28-08 11:03 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD