From the Seeking Alpha article:
    Israeli cyber-security experts have found a vulnerability in Samsung's� (SSNLF, SSNGY) Knox security platform when enabled on the best-selling Galaxy S4 smartphone.
    The researchers say the flaw could allow malicious software to track emails and record data communications, and in a worst-case scenario, cause havoc within a secured network.
    However, Samsung said an initial investigation found that the problem isn't as serious as the Israeli researchers make out.
    The discovery comes as Samsung attempts to gain approval for Knox to be used on Pentagon networks so that the company can compete with BlackBerry (BBRY) for orders from the Department of Defense and other highly security conscious customers.
    Source: SAMSUNG ELECT LTD(F) (SSNLF): Israeli researchers find flaw in Samsung security platform - Seeking Alpha

Samsung Phone Studied for Possible Security Gap - WSJ.com

This is especially relevant since Blackberry has now decided to focus on Enterprise and Samsung KNOX was supposed to be a major threat.

Play Starcraft? Join our Channel: C001242DE
    ronfc, DueNorthBB, jxnb and 2 others like this.
    12-24-13 05:40 AM
    KNOX is more hype than anything at this point. It only works with Samsung's devices, relies on a VPN for corporate access, and just keeps getting chipped away by little nagging issues like this.
    12-24-13 06:01 AM
    The folks at DISA, who are helping Samsung with Knox, really seem to want it. I am a bit surprised with the time and effort put into it, that it isn't getting better.
    12-24-13 07:54 AM
    When it comes to security, having a big team and a lot of money won't necessarily fix anything. Microsoft always had massive teams on Windows, yet many versions had many, many security exploits. I'm not surprised that Samsung is struggling with KNOX, it's not a problem that you can throw more people or more money at to simply solve.
    zyben, danprown and neteng1000 like this.
    12-24-13 08:29 AM
    When it comes to security, having a big team and a lot of money won't necessarily fix anything. Microsoft always had massive teams on Windows, yet many versions had many, many security exploits. I'm not surprised that Samsung is struggling with KNOX, it's not a problem that you can throw more people or more money at to simply solve.
    Well said. I sometimes wonder how a little startup company like RIM with limited resources was able to nail it

Posted via CB10
    adjdudley21 and anon(5818411) like this.
    12-24-13 08:37 AM
    I wonder if they tried to sign the researchers to a NDA...
    12-24-13 09:00 AM
    I wonder if they tried to sign the researchers to a NDA...
    More likely that Samsung threatened them. Samsung has an, uh, interesting way of doing business.

Samsung's biggest weapon, I think, is the same thing MSFT had in the consumer space: time and money.
    12-24-13 09:19 AM
    More likely that Samsung threatened them.
    I was being polite. Holiday season and all.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    12-24-13 09:24 AM
    Well said. I sometimes wonder how a little startup company like RIM with limited resources was able to nail it

Posted via CB10
    It's likely that they had a tight-knit team of highly skilled engineers who were very skilled and dedicated that worked together for years. To have good security, you require phenomenal design.
    sjwpenney likes this.
    12-24-13 09:42 AM
    The folks at DISA, who are helping Samsung with Knox, really seem to want it. I am a bit surprised with the time and effort put into it, that it isn't getting better.
    Seeing as how the government works, I'm not. They probably have a hoard of program and process managers sucking off dollars and preventing work from being done.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 09:59 AM
    Not surprising.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 12:05 PM
    Guess Samsung is finding out life is tough when you can't copy everything verbatim.
    Marco Mecelli likes this.
    12-24-13 01:09 PM
    Security flaws happen. Continue to update and fix. But for the time and money they have spent, the question should be is it worth it. They really have no choice. Google/Android will slowly support their own products before supporting anything else

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 01:29 PM
    BlackBerry z30 people all the way, 2014 will be all about security remember that.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 02:29 PM
    People don't buy Samsung for security. If they foolishly do then they will suffer the consequences.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 11:53 PM
    KNOX is DOA. It's now to little too late.

Posted via CB10
    ibpluto likes this.
    12-24-13 11:54 PM
    KNOX just shows why it would be stupid for BlackBerry to go to Android like many people say. If Samsung is still unable to secure android after having put a ton of $ towards it, it just shows how hard of a job it is to secure.

Security starts at the bottom. You can't build security on top of a shaky foundation & not expect problems.

Posted via CB10
    Bluenoser63 likes this.
    12-25-13 06:11 AM
    KNOX just shows why it would be stupid for BlackBerry to go to Android like many people say. If Samsung is still unable to secure android after having put a ton of $ towards it, it just shows how hard of a job it is to secure.

Security starts at the bottom. You can't build security on top of a shaky foundation & not expect problems.
    Securing Android has been done, no? Select kernels have appropriate FIPS certs, I believe.

And I truly believe the Enterprise push by Samsung is akin to a pricey hobby for Samsung. Like Apple, it can afford to sit back and chip away.
    Last edited by Tre Lawrence; 12-25-13 at 09:57 AM.
    12-25-13 09:22 AM
    Android is an open source project.

So they don't really mix with security.

Maybe a Samsung should make SOS.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 09:37 AM
    Android is an open source project.

So they don't really mix with security.

Maybe a Samsung should make SOS.

Posted via CB10
    Firstly open source and security go hand-in-hand because the source code can be audited independent of the development team.

Secondly Google Android is open source and anyone can examine the source code, modify the source code, and compile the source code.

Thirdly security is a process not a single stage in the development, deployment, and usage of an application or system.

Posted via the BlackBerry Q5 using CB10.
    aniym likes this.
    12-25-13 11:59 AM
    Glad to read.. really... if Samsung has something like bes 10, BlackBerry won't be around for a long time... I really really really hope q4 will be fine... I really don't want have to switch to iOS... or what's the alternative? I don't know anyone... just iOS maybe...

Tonlist BBM Music Channel C00121417
    12-25-13 01:40 PM
    Samsung Knox found to have a "serious vulnerability"

"With the fall of BlackBerry, companies are scrambling to pick up the enterprise market share that is up for grabs. Samsung desperately wants to make a dent in that space, but a new "serious vulnerability" found in Samsung's Knox security software could make that quite a bit more difficult. ......"

and

"The news of this flaw comes at a bad time for Samsung, as the U.S. Department of Defense has just purchased about 500 Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphones to test. If the devices are deemed to be secure, they would be used in the Pentagon. Of course, a government spokesman was clear to say that no devices would be used if they weren't found to be secure."
    12-25-13 02:13 PM
    Samsung already has the consumer space why does it have to attack the pentagon and enterprise.

Why not leave it to BlackBerry and live in harmony. Greedy company.

I would prefer apple to Samsung always if it was only two left.

Though I have my z10 - sweet!!

Posted via CB10
    neteng1000 likes this.
    12-26-13 12:41 AM
    If Chen is smart, he will capitalize on this news!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    12-26-13 01:41 AM
    Samsung already has the consumer space why does it have to attack the pentagon and enterprise.

Why not leave it to BlackBerry and live in harmony. Greedy company.
    I can't tell if you're kidding. Inertia is dangerous.

Ask BBRY.
    12-26-13 11:24 AM
37 12