Notice I said "Users". Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chen basically just said he'll be devoting all talent and energy in the enterprise market. That can only mean one thing - we users can't expect much at all in the way of innovation. Updates? Forget about em.

I understand his plan, which is to focus on doing one thing and doing it really well, until BlackBerry starts turning consistent profits. But it just doesn't bode well for us everyday users, and I certainly don't understand all the optimism.

What am I missing? Honest question...

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 06:17 PM
    Another thread on this wasn't necessary. Similar discussion below:

http://forums.crackberry.com/news-ru...sumers-886525/
    diegonei likes this.
    12-22-13 06:20 PM
    That's not the same thread lol

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 06:22 PM
    Notice I said "Users". Correct me if I'm wrong, but Chen basically just said he'll be devoting all talent and energy in the enterprise market. That can only mean one thing - we users can't expect much at all in the way of innovation. Updates? Forget about em.

I understand his plan, which is to focus on doing one thing and doing it really well, until BlackBerry starts turning consistent profits. But it just doesn't bode well for us everyday users, and I certainly don't understand all the optimism.

What am I missing? Honest question...

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is ONE OS. Whatever they build for BB10 will be pushed as updated for us USERS.

Focus on enterprise IS NOT ditching the userbase they have.
    12-22-13 06:25 PM
    BB10 is ONE OS. Whatever they build for BB10 will be pushed as updated for us USERS.

Actually, how will users get these updates? It's unlikely that carriers will continue to push these updates to discontinued equipment.
    12-22-13 06:33 PM
    Actually, how will users get these updates? It's unlikely that carriers will continue to push these updates to discontinued equipment.
    who knows... maybe we keep the same radio and they just send portions of the os that have been updated... similar to what was said years ago that may happen....
    12-22-13 06:37 PM
    Assuming what Dan Dodge told CrackBerry Kevin was correct, it can be done. With or without carriers.
    12-22-13 06:39 PM
    OS5 devices were still getting updates not that long ago (late 2012) so it's not that much of a stretch, is it? Hardware gets dumped every year, but software has to be maintained for a lot longer.

Unless, of course, it's a PlayBook.
    12-22-13 06:39 PM
    There is no way they just ignore the current customers. They need to keep us current owners satisfied while they work on getting new consumers.
    They will have a way to get us the updates.
    12-22-13 07:54 PM
    There is no way they just ignore the current customers. They need to keep us current owners satisfied while they work on getting new consumers.
    They will have a way to get us the updates.
    Even if it's "leaks" of fully baked OS versions.

Or somebody "forgetting" to take the files off that one server people can get the OS from using Sachesi...

There will be a way. It may even be pulling "an Apple" and saying berry you carriers, we're pushing the update.
    sianto likes this.
    12-22-13 10:12 PM

Exactly.

We'll still be able to buy BlackBerry handsets, just not from physical locations. It'll be webstores all the way I believe.
    diegonei likes this.
    12-22-13 10:21 PM
    Don't forget, this is how BB started. Going back to their roots. In the beginning all focus was exclusively on enterprise, and the public bought these enterprise handsets due to them seeing a good thing for what is was. The same will happen again. I know this is 2013 and the smartphone environment has changed, but if I have to put in the little extra effort to buy or maintain a BlackBerry in future, I will gladly do so. I realize this is not for the masses, but the focus is no longer exclusively on the masses.

Z10 goodness
    12-22-13 10:23 PM
    Don't forget, this is how BB started. Going back to their roots. In the beginning all focus was exclusively on enterprise, and the public bought these enterprise handsets due to them seeing a good thing for what is was. The same will happen again. I know this is 2013 and the smartphone environment has changed, but if I have to put in the little extra effort to buy or maintain a BlackBerry in future, I will gladly do so. I realize this is not for the masses, but the focus is no longer exclusively on the masses.

Z10 goodness
    Well said.
    12-22-13 10:24 PM
    I think the positive is the plan gives BlackBerry a chance. It may not end up being the same BlackBerry we've come to know over the last few years, but at least it's a fighting chance to survive. And if you're a fan of the company, that's a good thing.

I think with the current model for updates, it's not an issue of BlackBerry unable to push the OS updates out on their own, rather one of them trying to also keep the carriers happy as well. The iPhone and Nexus phones have shown that updates can be pushed out by a manufacturer without involvement from a carrier.
    12-22-13 10:31 PM
    I think the positive is the plan gives BlackBerry a chance. It may not end up being the same BlackBerry we've come to know over the last few years, but at least it's a fighting chance to survive. And if you're a fan of the company, that's a good thing.

I think with the current model for updates, it's not an issue of BlackBerry unable to push the OS updates out on their own, rather one of them trying to also keep the carriers happy as well. The iPhone and Nexus phones have shown that updates can be pushed out by a manufacturer without involvement from a carrier.
    It's not quite the same though, the iPhone is contractually allowed to have direct updates pushed. Nexus phones aren't sold by carriers, which allows them to skirt that. (See the VZW and Sprint Nexus phones as perfect examples.)

The best thing would be to do like Google is starting to, and pulling more OS pieces into small bits that can be updated off the app store. (IMO at least)
    m1kr0 likes this.
    12-22-13 11:16 PM
    It's not quite the same though, the iPhone is contractually allowed to have direct updates pushed. Nexus phones aren't sold by carriers, which allows them to skirt that. (See the VZW and Sprint Nexus phones as perfect examples.)

The best thing would be to do like Google is starting to, and pulling more OS pieces into small bits that can be updated off the app store. (IMO at least)
    I figure with the iPhone, it's due to Apple's clout that they're able to get that concession from the carriers. I'm unfortunately not familiar with the Nexus situation in the States. Here in Canada, the 3 major carriers all sell the Nexus 5 (though at a higher cost than Google Play when purchasing without contract).
    12-22-13 11:44 PM

Nexus phones are indeed sold by carriers.

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    12-22-13 11:49 PM
    Nexus phones are indeed sold by carriers.

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    I should have said: The ones sold by carriers don't necessarily get immediate updates. Obviously I know they're sold by some as I referenced two. :P
    12-23-13 12:23 AM