Sorry. I just talked to a very reliable source from Sprint HQ. From what they have been told as of today's date, MMS will NOT be included in the 4.5 upgrade. Further, the 4.5 upgrade is on indefinite hold. Apparently there is an issue with reliability and CDMA, that Sprint isn't happy with.

I am sorry for my previous postings saying MMS would be included and 4.5 would be out within the month. I was given this information. However, apparently beta testing did not go well. I have been told that MMS may not be be provisioned on Blackberries at all through Sprint. Yes, other carriers have no problem. Sprint has an issue with the routing. I don't understand it either, something to do with the data channel.

It is a PIA but I am told you can just email the media to their phone using the following extensions:

Sprint- [email protected]
    Verizon- [email protected]
    Cingular- [email protected]
    Us Cellular- [email protected]
    T-Mobile- [email protected]
    Nextel- [email protected]
    Alltel- [email protected]
    BoostMobile: [email protected]
    VirginMobile: [email protected]

*NOTE* for ATT, use the Cingular extension. Also keep in mind the receiving party has to have a data plan.

It was suggested that in your contacts, you have two entries for their email. One for regular, one for mms. So your contact "John Doe" would have two separate listings in your contacts. Such as John Doe and John Doe MMS. When you want to send MMS, you would just click on email to John Doe MMS.

Again, I apologize for spewing info that apparently Sprint wasn't even sure of yet. I am told they are continuing to work on both the MMS and 4.5 and will release both when they are reliable. The beta 4.5 may be available for limited download within the next few weeks.
    10-31-08 07:56 PM
    You really know how to ruin my halloween! I am not greatly surprised by this news however. Thanks for the update.
    10-31-08 08:15 PM
    I thought sprint was "the now network".this makes me want to pay the $200 to cancel and take my money elsewhere.
    10-31-08 08:28 PM
    as soon as at&t turns on 3g here im leaving. thankfully im not under contract
    10-31-08 08:58 PM
    By the way, MMS will be sent via service book. Not in any SWV upgrade.

IF that day ever comes.
    Last edited by flynlow; 11-01-08 at 09:10 AM.
    10-31-08 09:29 PM
    Once again. Sprint sucks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-08 12:29 AM
    I thought sprint was "the now network".this makes me want to pay the $200 to cancel and take my money elsewhere.
    Yeah, basically agreed here. Between this, the fact my billing is basically a constant monthly battle, and the fact getting any help from CS is impossible I'm basically just biding my time until I can afford to take my number and business elsewhere.
    11-01-08 12:48 AM
    This is def making my decision easier to leave. I've been holding out on putting 4.5 on my phone from another carrier hoping Sprint would come through for me, but it looks not so much. I'm probably going to wait for the curve2 to come out and switch me and my chica to AT&T. Sprint really need to get their stuff together.

11-01-08 02:37 AM
    Doesn't bother me, I don't have a need for MMS. Texting, e-mailing and IM is good enough.
    11-01-08 04:19 AM
    Uggghhh that sucks.
    MMS isn't critical for me, but even just tonight I took a picture on my phone, almost tried to send it to a friend then thought to myself "Oh. Yeah..."
    It would just be cool and/or convenient if we could get it!
    11-01-08 06:24 AM
    Well I wasn't holding my breath, I kinda gave up on sprint with hope to enable it...apparently I was able to send pics whn I had a windows phone then they disabled it...but as soon as I am about to turn my back on sprint they always surprise me with something new like the curve

11-01-08 07:45 AM
    Sprint is so special & I mean that!

11-01-08 08:28 AM
    here we go again....bashing on sprint because of this MMS feat. Guys this is getting old. Deal with it or Cancel and go to another carrier. :-)
    11-01-08 10:40 AM
    I have stated before that I personally don't care about MMS one way or the other. I don't use it. After I was given the extensions to email media, device to device, I tried several of them and they all worked. I don't think it's that much of a hassle to do as the person I spoke with suggested and just make another entry in your contacts with an mms extension to their name and adding their [email protected] as their email. What's the difference if you click send as mms message, or send as email message? You still have to choose the contact and hit send. No difference at all. The only hassle would be having to duplicate names through out your contact list. However, as I have said before, I certainly am not about to tell someone else what they should be happy with, or what they should settle for.

That being said, I am slightly disappointed in the hold on 4.5. That may not turn out to be very long, I believe there are a few minor concerns to be resolved. That makes sense to me, they want to get it as compatible and as stable as possible. They don't want resources being tied up resolving customer issues on 4.5, anymore than you want a bugged up device. I give them credit for being cautious in that respect. Really the same for the MMS. If they can't make it stable across the network, why release it? When I say that I mean, it may have been stable here in OP,KS but not stable in Baltimore. It has to work for all of the regions in order for it to be released.
    Last edited by flynlow; 11-01-08 at 11:44 AM. Reason: punctuation
    11-01-08 11:43 AM
    Omg Guys!!! Give It A Rest!! Most Of You Knew When You Signed Up For Sprint That It Didnt Have Mms!! So Your Been Working Around It!! I Personal Say I Can Deal Wit It Because They Have The Best Plans Going For Bb's!! Every Carriers(at&t, Verizon, T-mobile) Require You To Have This Bb Plan Thats Is Stupid!! When With Sprint You Can Get A Everything Plan And Still Save A Buck Or Two!! So My Opinion..... I Love Their Plans, But It Wouls Be Nice If There Bb's Had Mms But I Can Deal Wit The Extra Work It Takes If I Have A Good Plan!!
    11-01-08 12:30 PM
    Forget MMS. Who gives a f*** anyway?

What the f*** is up with 4.5 being on indefinite hold? Why is Sprint always the last carrier to update anything? Between their CS and their lack of ......anything, I'm seriously considering leaving. They have until Jan. - Feb. to pull off something impressive or I'm buying out.
    11-01-08 02:38 PM
    I just use the work around or email until it comes...

all I do is tell them to put instead of my #, to either do the [email protected], or what I usually tell them to do is to send it to my personal email (which goes straight to my phone)
    11-01-08 02:52 PM
    I love Sprint but they are like the cousin you love but if she wasnt your cousin you wouldnt even speak to her... A straight love hate relationship!!!

Sprint is so special & I mean that!

I agree 125% its ike they are ran by a bunch of people with the mission of making the company worst. I mean the 4.5 beta have been out and many of us are running it without issues so why the indefinate hold????

As for MMS they need to be ashame of themselves to have invested all that money in the damn "I want to be an iphone clone" instink only to have it unsuccessful, instead of providing MMS on the curve that they couldnt keep in stock for months. Remember when our phone wasnt in stock anywhere and you could walk in and get an instink in 4 minutes flat.

I mean storm, bold, javelin......really??? What a joke..

The only reason I havent left them for att where my son works is I have an awesome unlimited family plan with 4 line and all the fixings including 2 bb plans for $140 a month

Sprint you gotta change your ways and do something better

End of rant!!!
    Last edited by MsRandall; 11-01-08 at 04:15 PM.
    11-01-08 04:08 PM
    I'm blown away. Blown away because its ridiculous that 4.5 isnt ready yet. And that there is not a "small" delay with a date or something. Im sorry for those who are upset and waiting for that. BB is a new world to me. So I'm still in the Honeymoon stage and am thrilled with what I have for now. I'm fortunate in that fact.

I'm not surprised about the MMS not coming soon because as I said before, if it were true, with it being on the eve of the rumored release date some reliable sources would have been saying/slipping. Besides, if you have really followed this on the net, I can tell you exactly where the rumored dates came from. They started iwth posts on various forums elsewhere that 4.5 would be released the same day as the Bold, etc. There were other examples too, but I forget. I watched that take off. It did make sense though, that the OS would come the same time as the release of a phone.
    Where the MMS thing came in, I can't recall. You could see the rumor build since August however. Each supposed testing or date of release, you could spot coming from a rumor. I guess people assumed that with 4.5 would come mms? I dont know.

I'm shocked about the MMS testing went so poorly however. The thing is, if there really was elaboarate testing, they were serious about it ... And they put out that money and time to, they'd not just drop it indefinately at the end. I don't know. Strikes me that formal testing was not truly being being done. Or they'd have a plan as to what to do next. You'd be able to tell if MMS was doable before the last stages of testing. I mean you don't just jump into the last testing round, think it its going well enough to think you could release it, only to find that it's not possible at all currently? Doesnt' work like that.

God. We were torn between ATT and Sprint. I signed a two year new contract with Sprint. Only cause they told me that the workaround was the same as picture mail. And Fly, you are VERY lucky, very lucky the email workaround is working. Most people arent finding it to be working reliably if at all with all the carriers. Blackberry themselves will tell you Verizon has some sort of blocks or something on their addie. They were testing it over one weekend I had a ticket order open. And nobody could make Verizon work. I had various people calling me back explaining that they had found the problem but I'm too ignorant to be able repeat what they were saying. I can tell you that they said it was a type of restriction or block. I'm lucky in being able to get through to Verizon sometimes.

I cant' imagine why, but I can't get my ATT to work with videos. Which sucks. I've tried sending to various types of att phones (exept an att bb) to no avail. Apparently most of their phones dn't support the file ... which is weird cause it's a common phone movie file. Photos in general ... completely sporadic to all carriers except perhaps sprint. I'd say 85% success to sprint or better. 75% or better get through to Verizon (and Im unsual in getting it work compared to many). And less with ATT. I've noticed that there are some really down times. In other words, 1-3 days at a time will pass without me being able to send well to people, then all the sudden everything is going through okay later.

I do the following when I email MMS:
    -use google as it has the least restrictions
    - taken off all sigs (blackberry sigs)
    -Use small files (photos 500kb or less, audio 100kb or less, video 350kb or less) .. Why diff sizes for diff media, I have no clue, but it's been a constant at least with the photos. the other things ist hit or miss iwth sizes, but those sizes and less have been the most reliable so far.

Believe me, if this were reliable (99% sending successfully and within a specific time frame .. not instant one time and three days the next or not failing then succeeding the next), I'd not care much. really and truly. Because Fly is right, there isn't a lot of difference at all. Im' not whing about that at all. Im whining that it doesn't work well. So, if anyone has any ideas/tips of what to do other than what I stated above to increase the sending success rate, please tell me.

Unfortunatley my whole family is on a plan now. We cannot afford a change. So we're stuck ... for a very long time.

You all speak of ATT, and I've considred them in the past. What would be the downfalls of ATT compared to Sprint? Do they get some sort of radio, sattallite radio, tv, free net on their reg picture phones, etc? What are the advantages of ATT?
    11-01-08 04:52 PM
    I agree with the others that say "GIVE IT A REST".....

If MMS is that imporant to you like "Litte School Girls" then you need to be with Verizon 'oh wait their MMS isnt working either' or ATT/T-MO

with the Feature Set that Sprint gives you on their Curve, I still find Sprint's to the the MOST FEATURE PACKED CURVE of them ALL!

Yes MMS does make sending picks quicker, but it's not like you CANT send pics at all.....

HOW about not being able to use GPS at all HELLO VERIZON...

Or how about only having Edge Speeds HELLO ATT - TMOBILE

Or How about paying 30% more for 30% less HELLO VZW and ATT agian.

I swear some will find any Reason to bash Sprint....

All Carriers have their shortcomings.....

I love Paying my 175$ a month for unlimited everything on 5 lines with 2 bb plan...

And getting:

Uncrippled GPS
    Live TV/Radio
    EVDO Speeds
    Unlimited SMS
    NFL Mobile Live
    And a solid network for where I live and play.

If MMS is that important, then pay the 30% more to have it from one of the other carriers, and lose everything else.

IM JUST SAYING
    11-01-08 06:00 PM
    nuff said!

oh this is my first post
    11-01-08 06:37 PM
    I agree with the others that say "GIVE IT A REST".....

If MMS is that imporant to you like "Litte School Girls" then you need to be with Verizon 'oh wait their MMS isnt working either' or ATT/T-MO

with the Feature Set that Sprint gives you on their Curve, I still find Sprint's to the the MOST FEATURE PACKED CURVE of them ALL!

Yes MMS does make sending picks quicker, but it's not like you CANT send pics at all.....

HOW about not being able to use GPS at all HELLO VERIZON...

Or how about only having Edge Speeds HELLO ATT - TMOBILE

Or How about paying 30% more for 30% less HELLO VZW and ATT agian.

I swear some will find any Reason to bash Sprint....

All Carriers have their shortcomings.....

I love Paying my 175$ a month for unlimited everything on 5 lines with 2 bb plan...

And getting:

Uncrippled GPS
    Live TV/Radio
    EVDO Speeds
    Unlimited SMS
    NFL Mobile Live
    And a solid network for where I live and play.

If MMS is that important, then pay the 30% more to have it from one of the other carriers, and lose everything else.

IM JUST SAYING
    I Totally agree! Sprint has the best plans out for Blackberry's! They actually make it for people who's phone is there life in the palm of their hands! It needs to be business, entertainment & have a plan behind it that makes life easlier!! I love Sprint! MMS is not a problem, it just like people say a work around!!
    Last edited by Raneciansamaiya; 11-01-08 at 10:26 PM.
    11-01-08 10:19 PM
    They need to at least get 4.5 up and going even it does not contain MMS. To have to use another carriers version to get updated generic features (HTML email) which in turn breaks Sprint features (sprint radio) is a bit rediculous.
    11-02-08 06:51 AM
    you know for those that got the awesome SERO plans, or some other special retentions approved, or whatever special plan, good for you. I'd get on in a minute if I could. Which would justify why Sprint would be such a great deal for you. However most people can't get those plans right off the bat.

As far as the 4.5, honestly that's really up to the carrier, the only thing they're worried about is providing you with a working line.

However on the MMS, it is BS, it is a service they are advertising as part of your plan, and you can't have it? "....oh but you can just send your message to [email protected] and it will work..."
    It's like going to a restaurant, and reading on the menu boneless chicken, you order it but when you get it and complain, the waiter says "...oh, you know, just cut it in the middle and blahblahblah@pull_the_bones_out_yourself.com ..." That's BS, if you don't offer the service, then just state that on your website (or menu) and don't offer it. Just tell people "I don't have that crap, but I do have email"....
    However they won't because they want to seem competitive (coughliescough)....

Yeah, if you don't like it get another carrier, agreed, but come on, if you advertise that it is available then man-up and deliver..

(I'm hungry now... I think I got chicken leftover in the fridge)....
    11-02-08 08:06 AM
    what people could do is just do the work around for the mms, I just added it to all my contacts, the only problem would be sending an mms to someone that was not in my contact list if I did not know their carrier. As for the html emails, Sprint should just include Empower with their phones, that should help make people happy until the 4.5 comes out. I really like Sprint and have been with them for over 6 years.
    11-02-08 08:46 AM
142 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD