Hi all... I saw a few old threads that had some information but figured maybe I could have a fresh answer.

I was curious if it were possible to activate a Bold 9930 on Verizon without having a data plan. It would be used for just calls and txting, but since it had wifi I could use data that way. I have wifi at home, work, and school. (And playbook/tablets for games and browsing the internet).

My main goal was that I was thinking of ways to save a little money. I have a Z10 and a pile of other smartphones, but I mainly use wifi, not my data plan for the majority of my data use.

If anyone had any thoughts or comments, I'd definitely appreciate it.
    12-18-13 11:03 AM
    Hi all... I saw a few old threads that had some information but figured maybe I could have a fresh answer.

I was curious if it were possible to activate a Bold 9930 on Verizon without having a data plan. It would be used for just calls and txting, but since it had wifi I could use data that way. I have wifi at home, work, and school. (And playbook/tablets for games and browsing the internet).

My main goal was that I was thinking of ways to save a little money. I have a Z10 and a pile of other smartphones, but I mainly use wifi, not my data plan for the majority of my data use.

If anyone had any thoughts or comments, I'd definitely appreciate it.
    I'm not my use case can be of referrence, so mileage may vary.

1. with or without wifi, you still need BIS (not data plan, BIS) on the 9930 to work, at least where I am right now. jsut BIS without data plan cost me USD 5 per month here. (rough conversion)
    2. once you have activated, voice and data are usable, without BIS, but generally speaking even WIFI based browsing and downloading (even if you turn off mobile data) will somehow still require BIS services at least from the 9930 I can grab right here.
    12-18-13 11:30 AM
    I actually have Verizon and you cannot activate any smartphone without a data plan. Period

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
    12-18-13 12:27 PM
    Thanks for the information both of you. Appreciate it.
    12-18-13 07:46 PM
    Go to Walmart and pick up a cheap prepaid Sim

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 07:57 PM